No announcement yet.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a quality director, I've enjoyed all his previous movies a lot. I'd say his output the last 10, 15 years has been of a very high standard; higher than most. Plus I like the stories of the onset issues he brings to the party. He's upset a few big names, but still gets the money to make another film. Respect!

What is surprising, is he continually makes comments about the film that have no correlation to the game as we know it. He has never come across as a director after a "money grab", he makes honest films that mean something to him.

So on one hand you have a temperamental director seemingly talking about a different project, and on the other you have the best game this generation which oozes cinematic class. You can see why it's very interesting to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      So on one hand you have a temperamental director seemingly talking about a different project, and on the other you have the best game this generation which oozes cinematic class. You can see why it's very interesting to discuss.
      True.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss about it, I just honestly wondered about what I said. I'm not an Uncharted fan, but if someone would make a movie about a game I like and I would only keep hearing bad news about it, I honestly wouldn't want to give my money to support such a project.

Comment

The thing is, as writer and director he is clearly enthusiastic about the project which is nice and all but given his background and lack of correlation with the series as it exists I don't get why he's not just making as an original title rather than potentially bastardising a beloved IP

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
          True.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss about it, I just honestly wondered about what I said. I'm not an Uncharted fan, but if someone would make a movie about a game I like and I would only keep hearing bad news about it, I honestly wouldn't want to give my money to support such a project.
          It could turn out great, but be a completely different beast to the game. At which stage, as has been said, why call it "Uncharted"?

For my part, I tend to watch just about everything I can at the local cinema. I love going to the cinema, and make twice-weekly use of my Cineworld pass. So I'll go see it regardless.
          Last edited by Matt; 10-02-2011, 22:52. Reason: long day and made an idiotic typo

Comment

Im the same in that I will see this, becuase i just see most films.

For instance the Resident Evil films are shockingly bad (besides the third which is beyond shockingly bad to the point that its almost good) and arent anything like the games either for that matter, but Ive seen every one of them.

Uncharted 2 is deffinitley one of my favorite games, and if the film is good then I will no doubt like it too, but the thing is, the director has been saying things like "Nathan Drake goes around with his mom and dad"... Now if you make an Uncharted film it needs action scenes where the main character is climbing loads of rock surfaces and stuff.... can you see his parents doing this with him?, do they just wait on the ground below and cheer him on? why are his parents on his team?

Also he says "they are like the Sopranos..." now, I dont even know what to say to that to be honest, unless he means that just like how Tony Soprano was the only person in his household who was in the mafia, Nathan Drake is the only family member who climbs rocks.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 10-02-2011, 21:14.

Comment

If nothing else, it's sounding like a Can't Believe It type of scenario. I've got the Team America song "I miss you like Michael Bay missed the mark, when he made Pearl Harbour" going round my head.

OK, new question - given the completely un-Uncharted plot points and characters he's talking about, just what ****ing game is he talking about?

A family drama with characters like Tony Soprano.... anyone?

Comment

All this talk of families and stuff, I think his Child accidently put The Sims 3 in the Uncharted 2 box and thats what he played.

Having said that there was actualy a Sopranos game on the PS2 wasnt there? Maybe he thinks they are like the Sopranos becuase they actualy are the Sopranos .

Comment

I wonder if maybe he watched a trailer (or even wanders into the room where his kid is playing from time to time) and just assumed that Sully was the father, Elena the sister, Chloe the other sister, and that camera guy you carry around for a bit who dies anyway is the comic relief younger brother.

Now that I think about it, you do rob a museum in the second game don't you? Maybe he saw that bit and has based everything on that? Still if the movie is just about the family Drake stealing art and antiques from museums I don't know where those weird white zombie gollum things are going to fit in. Maybe they're the night guards?

Still, its pretty embarrassing that the guy clearly hasn't played the game he claims to love and plans on making a film out of.

Comment

There's a piece on Dark Horizons where Russell defends the film saying game films suck and he'll make this as great as possible... by making it an original film and distancing from the games. Hope = Dead

Comment

Wow. So game films suck and his tactic is to do what just about every other game film has done. Although, reading his quote, I'm not sure I see what the Dark Horizons people see in it.

Comment

Given the ongoing direction of the project it completely baffles as to why he just doesn't make it an original IP

Comment

I'm a bit slow to read that. Anyway, do you all remember that weird spammer we got who was telling us all to check out Sex and the City DVD volumes 1-5 because of the action and way he really felt it was helping his child to read? Surely must have been the same guy that's directing this movie!

Comment

Justice prevails as Russell drops out of the film. The presumption is being taken that everyone else involved will drop out too as the reason given is creative differences with the filmmakers and the studio. Hopefully that means Naughty Dog looked at his plans and shouted 'hands off our sh*t!'

There'll no doubt be speculation about who'll take over and if it will be true to the first game now but I wouldn't be surprised to see this do an MGS and never actually make it out at all now.

Comment

Best news I have heard all year.

Trouble is they are probabaly still using the same script (about a gangster family or whatever it was) though right?

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're reverting back to the old script, prior to any changes he made.

Comment

Working...
                                X