Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a great significance to...

the actions of Danaerys. The last few episodes have been gathering pace toward the idea that she now needs to accept the consequences of the things that she's done. For a time, she was sort-of portrayed as highly moral or ethical in a world where everyone else seems to be two-faced, but (as was obvious) her actions, though well-intentioned, are coming back to haunt her and the viewer can see that she was perhaps too naive.

The locking up of the dragons was the apex this part of her development, as she's spent the season as the "breaker of chains" and champion of freedom, but now she realises that freedom comes at a price.

Now we get to see if the weight of the world she's created crushes her, and turns her into a cynic like everyone else.

Comment

A sound observation there Asura. You're quite right and its probably testament to George R.R Martin and the show's writing that

there are really no purely good or bad characters in Game of Thrones. From Ramsay Snow, Cersei Lannister and Peytr Baelish through to Brandon Stark and Tyrion Lannister, they all have their layers and due to these we find them more captivating as viewers over most other shows.

I hope next season that the range of problems the people of Mehreen present Danaerys and her council help her to mature as a character. My tolerance of her was being tested when by her making headstrong decisions without taking heed of her council's advice, acting naively as you previously stated when freeing the slaves and hoping that their lives would just then turn out for the better.

Don't think a show for a long time has made me this excited and curious for its next season after the end of its fourth one. Testament to the overall quality of Game of Thrones as a show then. Feels like one of those 'one every 15-20 years' standout series in my mind.
      Last edited by Paddy; 17-06-2014, 17:14.

Comment

Seen loads of

peeps and sites saying Arya left Hound alive out of mercy. Don't know if the books or season 5 elaborate more but that wasn't my take on that scene at all. To me she saw how desperate he was to die a quick and easier death than being left to rot alone in the fields and despite the time they'd spent together she, unlike him, had never truly softened to him and so it was a far crueller death for her to leave him there alone than grant him the mercy of an easy death like he wanted. Like when she stabbed that guy in the bar who was on her list, she skewered him slowly as she wants their deaths to be slow and painful

Comment

Maybe but the good thing is that it can be left open to interpretation for now until the next season starts and we see how they continue with that plot thread (if they do at all).

I was just happy to see

Tyrion deal some well-deserved retribution and Varys getting out of King's Landing before things got even more insane. It was about time one the reasonable and just characters got to put some of the more despicable characters (Shea and Tywin) into an eternal sleep.

Roll on season 5!

Comment

I want to know why they are doing book 5 stuff in season 4 (which is book 3) unless Mr Martin releases his next book within the year they will be making stuff up! (Obviously with grrm on board...but still )

Comment

Been watching breaking bad too. It's really good but not a patch on this.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
                I want to know why they are doing book 5 stuff in season 4 (which is book 3) unless Mr Martin releases his next book within the year they will be making stuff up! (Obviously with grrm on board...but still )
                Apparently it's because some characters aren't in the books for ages, so certain cast members wouldn't even show up in Season 4 and they have to have them in somewhere so i guess that's why they have to mix it up.

The TV series is only gonna become more of its own thing as it gets further in i am sure.

Comment

Can't believe we have to wait 10 months for season five. Read all the above and some interesting theories, must admit I never think too far ahead with GoT but sure it will be great whatever.

Re Breaking Bad, I've tried twice, but can't stick with it enough to get past the first season, after which it probably improves a fair bit.

Comment

Basically he can't write the final books fast enough and with the shows pressing ever onward the studio wanted permission to actually finish it, so were going to see loads of stuff finished in the show that he's not finished in the books, like the nights king for example when he transformed the baby.

Comment

Appearing at the Neuchatel International Fantastic Film Festival this week, author George R. R. Martin acknowledged that he would like “Game Of Thrones,” HBO’s epic TV series adaptation of his ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ novels, to wrap up with a feature film. The author, who years ago turned down early offers to make […]

George RR Martin says he'd like to see 7 or 8 seasons then a big budget movie to end it. Not keen on that myself. It'd be like two rushed eps back to back which would also try to expand the audience it attracts and so be compromised. The series is taking its own time and doing a cracking job, nothing to gain by a film and too much risk of losing what makes it work

Comment

Agree 100%. They'll probably lumber Jon Snow with a CGI furry cute companion called Zorf, who everybody's expected to root for as the Night's Watch gets overwhelmed by the hordes from the North.

Comment

I disagree. I think the finale of Thrones is really going to need a budget that only a film can provide.

The problem, as you've said, is how they have to compromise it to make it work for new viewers.

Comment

Its one of the most successful show on TV i'm sure that would translate well to the big screen, what's to stop them doing a lord of the ring style epics to finish it off a trilogy of three hour films would work.

Comment

Book 6 is now finished and it's due out this year, a few few book fans told me this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                I disagree. I think the finale of Thrones is really going to need a budget that only a film can provide.

The problem, as you've said, is how they have to compromise it to make it work for new viewers.
                                The production values in GOT seem better to me than the vast majority of bug budget movies already! I'd be up for an epic cinema end to it all though yeah.

Comment

Working...
                                X