No announcement yet.

Show us your latest Blu Ray/DVD purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"British distributors 88 Films have revealed that they are planning to add a number of new releases to their Blu-ray catalog. Amongst them are: Romper Stomper (1992), Violent City (1970), Revenge of the Dead a.k.a. Zeder (1983), and Hero (1997)."

Comment

Half A Loaf of Kung Fu is on that list too. I’ve never seen that JC flick.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Half A Loaf of Kung Fu is on that list too. I’ve never seen that JC flick.
        I think I've got it on one of those cash-in JC DVD packs with Spiritual Kung-Fu.
        There's something to do with a chicken? Wait, that's Fantasy Mission Force.

They also have The Seventh Curse, which is proper bonkers:

However, the best news is that Drive is getting a Blu-Ray AND 4K release from 88Films! YASSSS!

Comment

Never seen or heard of Drive but it sounds excellent.

Comment

Yeah Drive is good. Going to be an expensive year for new discs at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Never seen or heard of Drive but it sounds excellent.
              Mate. Maaaaate!

So, I'll probably end up repeating myself, but around the year 2000, I'd seen most of the available Hong Kong action flicks.
              American action films just didn't cut the mustard for me. JCVD doing the splits, in slo-mo, from 5 different angles didn't have any of the thrills of peak Jackie Chan films. I'd pretty much given up and thought the action movie was dying out.

Then Channel 5 randomly showed Drive one evening and my mind was blown. Best martial arts film I'd seen in yeeeears.
              I tried to find it, but it wasn't available. I even turned to one of those ex-rental VHS finder services, to no avail.

Then Medusa video announced they were releasing it on DVD and not only that, but it was an AMAZING bundle - Commentary from the director, stars and action choreographer, Director's cut, behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes and bios.

It's one of my fave commentaries, because you can tell the guys are stoked to be back together.

The film itself is a total blast, with a better chemistry between stars Kadeem Hardison and Mark Dacascos than JC and Chris Tucker on Rush Hour, IMHO. Then there's the fights, by Koichi Sakamoto have the showy thrills of his Kamen Rider/Power Rangers past, but are more brutal with swift takedowns.
              Director Steve Wang did the Guyver live-action sequel and now does a load of movie effects, but films the action without shakeycam.

It just ends up being a real thrill ride with some laughs and benchmark action scenes.
              The disc is also a brilliant bundle for fans of the film.

Deffo getting this, even though I don't like double-dipping!

Comment

So you quite like it then?

Sounds awesome - just noticed that set from 88 includes it on UHD as well, which I think is a first for them. Really cool. One to pick up I think (or at a minimum rent).

On a side note, I do love the Blu-ray industry generally. It's so cool how many small labels there are these days that support the format with great releases done with real care. The fact that so many of them are now issuing UHDs too is even better.

Comment

So you quite like it then?

Sounds awesome - just noticed that set from 88 includes it on UHD as well, which I think is a first for them. Really cool. One to pick up I think (or at a minimum rent).

On a side note, I do love the Blu-ray industry generally. It's so cool how many small labels there are these days that support the format with great releases done with real care. The fact that so many of them are now issuing UHDs too is even better.
                  It's like the days of Laser Disc all over again with special editions of movies unobtainable for years. Kind of reminds me of the Criterian Laser Discs in a way.

Comment

From Canada to Japan in under a week. I'm very happy.

I'm mostly interested in Afterlife and the extra outtakes and the workprint since I already have ghostbusters 1 and 2 on UHD BluRay.

Comment

Oh wow, that’s class [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] … what a set! The UK market got stiffed on this one: no slip covers, no green light in the box and (mercifully) no code for Answer the Call

Comment

That is a really nice set! Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Oh wow, that’s class [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] … what a set! The UK market got stiffed on this one: no slip covers, no green light in the box and (mercifully) no code for Answer the Call
                          Hahaha, you really lucked out on that missing code. I'll never use the codes so I'll pretend it doesn't exist. So odd that the UK one is missing the slip cases and the green lights. It's not like they cost than much to produce.

Comment

That is a really nice set! Good work.
                            Thanks. I didn't think I'd be able to get one but lucked out with a Canadian store seller on Amazon US. It came well packed in a box too. I've seen Amazon US delivered ones arriving in plastic bags, bashed to hell

Comment

First new purchases in a while.

Deep Cover is new to me but one I've been meaning to see since Criterion brought their disc out recently. I spotted it reduced to £13 in Fopp and decided to grab it.

Midnight Run is a film I absolutely love. I'm glad to have Second Sight's restoration on hand now, and plus I'm looking forward to watching some of the featurettes, particularly the 24 minute interview with the screenwriter.

Comment

Nice [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] … never seen Deep Cover but it’s been on my radar. Look forward to hearing your opinion/thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X