Show us your latest Blu Ray/DVD purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Yeah, I can understand peeps being a bit unhappy with Arrow but some high profile releases have straddled the UHD boom, and in fairness to Arrow they got on board with the format early for a boutique label.

I’ve been selling/trading blu sets whenever the UHD announcements happen, which is a bit of a gamble (the new release of Deep Red lacks the soundtrack disc of the previous set) but generally works out.

It’ll turn up in no time. And those sturdy Arrow boxes are built to survive the CeX ‘process’
    Yeah, Arrow do great work, so there's no hate from me. It was more my impatience that was the issue. I 100% knew when that Robocop set dropped there would be a UHD one around the corner (although Arrow hadn't yet released their first UHD at that time, the expectation was that they were around the corner which proved true). Just couldn't wait though

@QualityChimp

If you consider Robocop simplistic (which, yes, is heresy, and you will go to cinema hell for it where you will be forced to watch 3D films without the glasses on for eternity), did you know that the film is structured as a Biblical chiasmus, or palindromic story?

Comment

I loved it on the 2000AD documentary film ‘Future Shock!’ their reaction to Robocop coming out. I think they were gearing up to make a Judge Dread film back in the mid 80s and when Robocop appeared it beat them to essentially the film they wanted to make.

Comment

That's really interesting. I can imagine that.

I'm not sure if I agree with QC, as I think Robocop is a sophisticated film. Although the story itself is simple, it works on a whole bunch of levels. Straightforward 80s action romp, social commentary on the dangers of extreme individual materialism and corporate greed, vision of the future, exploration of identity and what it means to be human (which has only become more relevant as we merge with our smartphones).

I think it's really distinctive (and skillful) how it's delivered as a pastiche without being played directly for laughs too.

There's loads going on it, plus you have to love hilarious lines like, following the failed test of ED-209, 'That's life in the big city'. Like living in a big city means you should expect to be blown apart by a walking battle tank during a work meeting

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          That's really interesting. I can imagine that.
          Yeah, and in fairness to the 2000AD guys there are lines in the film pretty much straight from the comics.

Comment

Oh lawd, I've kicked a hornet's nest!

My memory had the section where Robocop starts his patrol as a lot longer, but he shoots a few perps' balls and says "Stay out of trouble", then it moves on.

I'm definitely not saying it's bad, just not as good as I remembered.

Comment

It's fine. I mean, you're dead to me obviously, but, it's fine.

Comment

Few bits and bobs this week (EfLA was a while back but the replacement disc just arrived this week).

Does that Robocop have any extras that have never been seen before? I already have a BluRay of it jam packed with extras but I love the movie so much, I'd love to see extra stuff.

Comment

I know what you mean QC. Watching Ghostbusters last week (I loved it, don’t get me wrong) the journey felt simpler and more straight forward than I remember (I’m sure they were buying the firehouse in the first 20 mins).
                  I haven’t seen Robocop since the Criterion dvd days … something that always made me and my mates laugh is the fact that ED209 growls

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Does that Robocop have any extras that have never been seen before? I already have a BluRay of it jam packed with extras but I love the movie so much, I'd love to see extra stuff.
                    Not 100% what’s exclusive and what isn’t but it’s pretty loaded

Comment

Not sure about the video extras, but the included book def has new writing on the film, which I enjoyed.

Comment

Not 100% what’s exclusive and what isn’t but it’s pretty loaded
                        Thanks for the images. There's definitely a lot of the same stuff but also a lot of new stuff too that I think will make this a worthy purchase. Time to spend some money.

Comment

The good news - Spider-Man: No Way Home arrived 5 days early
                          The bad news - No slipcover

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            The good news - Spider-Man: No Way Home arrived 5 days early
                            The bad news - No slipcover

Yay! Boooo

Comment

Amazing selection of Asian cinema Blu-rays and DVDs. 88 Films, Eureka Entertainment, Third Window Films, Arrow Video, Criterion Collection, BFI, and more. Shop Asian movies now.

Eureka Sale, erk!

Wheels on Meals
                              Regular price £24.99 price £10.99

Drunken Master (blu ray and DVD dual format)
                              Regular price £24.99 price £10.99

Jackie Chan's Police Story & Police Story 2 (blu-ray)
                              Regular price £22.99 price £13.99

Project A and Project A Part II (blu ray)
                              Regular price £22.99 price £13.99

Three Films with Sammo Hung: The Iron-Fisted Monk / The Magnificent Butcher / Eastern Condors
                              Regular price £24.99 price £19.99

New World (DVD and blu ray dual format)
                              Regular price £12.99 price £7.99

Iron Monkey (blu ray)
                              Regular price £19.99 price £10.99

A Touch of Zen (dual format)
                              Regular price £12.99 price £10.99

Legend of The Mountain (dual format)
                              Regular price £17.99 price £10.99

Dragon Inn (DVD and blu ray dual format)
                              Regular price £12.99 price £10.99

Throw Down (blu ray) standard edition
                              Sold Out

Raining In The Mountain (dual format)
                              Regular price £19.99 price £11.99

The Fate of Lee Khan (dual format)
                              Regular price £19.99 price £11.99

Last Hurrah for Chivalry / Hand of Death: Two Films by John woo (blu ray) slipcase version
                              Sold Out

Once Upon a Time in China Boxset
                              Regular price £29.99 price £19.99

Comment

Really weird that the 4K releases of the Indiana Jones films are so limited. Zavvi will be doing steelbooks one by one which look nice, like the old blu-ray sets at £30 a pop. However, whilst the artwork isn't as nice they're currently selling the steelbook collection of all four films for £50 netting a saving of £70 in the end and it has an extra disc in it too. Even though the art won't end up matching Indy 5 down the line chances are the new ones won't exactly match either so I'll take the huge savings and extra content.

Comment

Working...
                                X