Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Bank holiday coming up, mate.
    Get some popcorn in and have a family movie day with the Mitchells.

Then in the evening, watch a couple of the others, knowing there's no work on Monday!

All of those are great, apart from Matrix Resurrection, which I enjoyed, but I know is a devisive film.
    Didn't manage anything lol
    I was pretty rough most of the weekend with a migraine & only time I felt better meant house & garden chores needed doing

Hoping to get some time soon though

Anywho another new arrival today

This time it's Manta Labs Black Adam Double Lenticular release

It's quite a pretty set for a film I've never seen lol

Neil

Comment

Comment

I really need to watch the Three Colours Trilogy

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I really need to watch the Three Colours Trilogy
          I've not seen them either, but I remember Three Colours Red being a decent band!

Comment

Quality pickup [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION]! Yes, I also need to watch these. I've had to pause on Blu-ray purchases for a while. I've been watching stuff on NowTV. It's like watching something on fupping RealPlayer. All it needs is the buffering. It's why I don't bother to include information on the transfer I've watched when I rate films I've watched on here

Comment

Yeah, I was about to splash the cash in the recent Arrow sale:
              - The Andromeda Strain
              - Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
              - Lifeforce

Had to be sensible though in an expensive months and the realisation that I have Netflix, Prime, D+, NowTV and now a cinema pass!

Will still be on the lookout for CEX bargains though!
              I love getting martial arts films I know I'll rewatch or discs of my faves with loads of extras.

Comment

These are my recent CeX cheapies (although The Mist practically doubled in price after I bought it … looking forward to watching the b&w ver)

Comment

That's quite the mix!

Comment

I've had one or two of them before. I'd sold my old Arrow Night of the Hunter to pick up the newer Criterion release. Then I got greedy and waited for a sale. Then it was no longer available. Snoozed and lose'd.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Yeah, I was about to splash the cash in the recent Arrow sale:
                      - The Andromeda Strain
                      - Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
                      - Lifeforce
                      I picked up Andromeda Strain a wee while back. A great transfer for an underrated classic. I really like the retro futuristic sets and great use of colour. And unlike modern films the leads aren’t all stunningly attractive and seem more convincing for it.

Comment

Great pickups there. Night of the Hunter is obviously an all timer (it gets a shout out in Promising Young Woman, which is cool).

It seems like it's cool to hate The Artist these days but I really like that film. It was such an original idea and so well executed.

Nightcrawler blew me away when I first saw it. Such a good one. Very rewatchable.

And The Mist...actual spoiler here, not a gag....

I actually don't think The Mist is all that good honestly. But that ending, my god you have to give credit for that. Eye poppingly cruel.

Last edited by wakka; 18-05-2023, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          I picked up Andromeda Strain a wee while back. A great transfer for an underrated classic. I really like the retro futuristic sets and great use of colour. And unlike modern films the leads aren’t all stunningly attractive and seem more convincing for it.
                          I caught The Andromeda Strain late one night (15/05/1994) on Moviedrome.
                          I was too tired to watch to the end, but I set the video to record it because it was so engrossing.
                          The first section in the infected town doesn't reflect the rest of the film, but it's fascinating to watch those later parts as they work their way through specimen petri dishes, trying to outrun the virus.

As Alex Cox says:
                          "what's really interesting about this movie is it's matter-of-factness there are no movie stars, no love interest, no action until almost the very end there's no music for the first hour of the film the dialogue is often mundane and trivial like the dialogue in that science fiction masterpiece, 2001, which is just as it should be since the events in question encounters with alien life the possible annihilation of the human species are so momentous."

I love the use of split diopter shots, that allow for action in the fore and background to be in focus. That and the unusual bleepy score make the whole film feel really unsettling throughout.

The split screen scenes show that a lot of things are happening simultaneously and the viewer doesn't have to follow it all directly.

It's a good effort to recreate the look of Michael Crichton's book in the film:

Here's the whole Moviedrome intro from Alex Cox (starts at 1:49) that talks about the film and why it stands out.
                          I really miss this show and the opportunity to discover some unusual film selections, which might not always be phenomenal, but have some unique quality that makes it memorable.

Slight spoilers about the final section, but nothing plot-ruining.

I know I've banged on about this film before, but I think it's worth talking about.

Comment

Retro SF on a retro format.

That’s tonight’s entertainment sorted.

Or maybe not. First time I’ve seen a disc with bit rot. Interfence from the start and deteriorated to the point of being unwatchable.
                            Last edited by CMcK; 03-06-2023, 06:28.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Retro SF on a retro format.

That’s tonight’s entertainment sorted.

Or maybe not. First time I’ve seen a disc with bit rot. Interfence from the start and deteriorated to the point of being unwatchable.
                              Oh no, gutted!
                              That's a real shame.

Comment

Fair play to the seller he issued a refund without me asking for one. I've found a copy of the film on Blu-ray for a fiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X