No announcement yet.

Studio Ghibli Season on Film4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just given up on Pom Poko - too Japanese and just too mental for my taste. Watching the charming Fly Away Home again with Jeff Daniels and a young Anna Paquin on 5*.

Enjoyed Laputa yesterday though, the girl, Sheeta, looked very much like Kiki ('s Delivery Service).

Anyone know the reason reason why Film4 had Cocoon as the film title at each advert break?

Comment

No, but I chuckled every time it came up
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I hadn't heard of a lot of the films shown, but I really enjoyed "The Cat Returns". It amused and entertained in equal measures, and my daughter kept pointing at the screen and saying the cats looked like ours

They don't, but there is a video of a cat helping a baby go to sleep a the moment doing the rounds, and that one is a dead ringer for one of mine.

Comment

Best cat is in Kiki's Delivery Service; one thing I hadn't noticed before is that the English dubbed version changes the sex of it from female to male.

Nobody picked up on my earlier mention of Anna Paquin in Fly Away Home? She did the English voice of Sheeta from Laputa, Castle in the Air, Studio Ghibili's first release.

Also, and I admit I didn't know this until I Googled, but how is this for coincidence? Jeff Daniels also did voice acting on what must be Studio Ghibili's most recent major film: The Secret World of Arrietty based on the classic children's book The Borrowers. Due for US release early next year.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 21-12-2011, 02:00.

Comment

To bump a thread from 2011 for a heads up as Film 4 are once again doing a Studio Ghibli special, showing quite a few of their animations this week at 11am most days, starting today.

21st Castle in the Sky
            22nd Nausica? of the Valley of the Wind
            23rd The Cat Returns
            24th Arrietty
            25th Howl's Moving Castle
            26th Kiki's Delivery Service
            27th My Neighbour Totoro
            28th Spirited Away
            30th Ponyo
            Last edited by MartyG; 23-12-2015, 07:14.

Comment

They've already been showing them last week... Kiki was shown last week too, Porco Rosso was on Sunday for example.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Just saw Pikate's name in here and wondered if anyone knew if she was ok?

Comment

Have they ever shown ocean waves or only yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                    Not that I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                      Not that I recall.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      To bump a thread from 2011 for a heads up as Film 4 are once again doing a Studio Ghibli special, showing quite a few of their animations this week at 11am most days, starting today.

21st Castle in the Sky
                      22nd Nausica? of the Valley of the Wind
                      23rd The Cat Returns
                      24th Arrietty
                      25th Howl's Moving Castle
                      26th Kiki's Delivery Service
                      27th My Neighbour Totoro
                      28th Spirited Away

25th onwards are my favourites in that specific order!!

Can't stand the corny english dubs though, but I will watch them with the kids, they always moan when i'm watching subbed Anime

I'm surprised Ponyo isn't in there, my daughter is 14 now and she still loves it, she would watch it everyday when she was a nipper

Comment

It's on the 30th, my programme guide for my DVB-T stick hadn't listed stuff that far.

Comment

Ponyo is regular viewing for my wee lass too Chojin,

remember watching Castle in the sky on C4 in 91, enjoyed it then, and its my fave now. at the time i had never heard of manga/anime and was surprised what it was when i finally seen the film again almost 10 years later.

I like most of the studio ghibli films, and can watch any of those films, as they are the best of the bunch.
                          i dont mind the dubbed versions now and again as i think they are putting more effort into them, getting decent actors in to voice them.

Comment

Oh the dubs make me cringe, gimme Japanese original soundtrack all day long...

You're singing the Ponyo theme I know it

Comment

Ponyo fell out of favour in the Japanese market when all the mothers realised how irresponsibly the mother in the film behaves word of mouth is strong here lol

Comment

Originally posted by chojin View Post
                                Oh the dubs make me cringe, gimme Japanese original soundtrack all day long...

You're singing the Ponyo theme I know it

I've often found Japanese original voice actors are actually more jarring than the dubbed ones. When half the characters on screen are young and Caucasian looking then start speaking in Japanese with the voice of some gruff old male actor who sounds as if he's auditioning for the latest samurai epic it is just bad casting. Young character should equal young sounding voice.

With the US dubbed versions they usually take care to match the voice to the character and the actors used are often top notch too.

It is different with video games although even then I think the typical choice of Japanese female voice actors is suspiciously sexist in both pitch and tone. If you've had the dubious pleasure of viewing the latest DOA: Xtreme 3 trailer, the whining and simpering voices of the characters' are just as embarrassing as the imagery.

Comment

Working...
                                X