Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt View Post
    I neither understand why people get their knickers in such a twist over this, nor do I understand why if people hate it soooo much they continue to recite the same crap every single time a Star Wars thread pops up.
    Well there it is in a nutshell. What you'll have to accept in all of this is that those of us who feel that way DO understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Well there it is in a nutshell. What you'll have to accept in all of this is that those of us who feel that way DO understand it.
      So explain it to me. I am trying to understand.

And here's another way of looking at things - maybe if people learnt to back down from the visciousness they'd be able to sit back and, you know, actually enjoy the films again. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing. No, the Star Wars of your youth is not coming back. And neither is your youth itself. Things move on. I'd suggest people either get over it and learn to love again, or just leave it alone. It's not going to change.

Watch the movies with your kids and you may just be surprised.

Comment

No Matt, you're not trying to understand. If you were, you wouldn't have missed over the part where I said I can still enjoy other childhood movies just as much as I once did. If you were, you would accept that we have at least a basic undertanding of our own opinions when we say that's not what it's about, and we have said that many times over.

Comment

In regards to the original versions of the films, my view is that when somthing is there sitting on a shelf we shouldnt have to make do with somthing thats worse just becuase Lucas wont listen to the fans. In this case those fans are the people who helped him get where he is today by making Star Wars such a massive franchise in the first place. Arguing wether or not the changes were big or little matters not in the end becuse the fact remains that for many people the films were simply better before he tampered with them.

For me its not so much that hes changed them as that there was really never any point in it.

It makes matters worse that we may never see the original versions on Blu Ray, becuase those are the versions I personally would always watch if given the choice. Moviemaking is special, its about bringing somthing to the public, but Lucas doesnt treat it like that, he treats it as his own little experiment and cares little about the people who actually enjoy Star Wars.

I think its perfectly acceptable that some people dont like him becuase of what hes done.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 21-01-2012, 13:31.

Comment

I do have a basic understanding of your opinions - I simply think they're pathetic. Maybe if you explained them better I would not think they were pathetic. But there you go.

And I do feel sorry for you guys. Because you can't enjoy the films anymore. And that, 100%, is your loss. I love Star Wars, they're great fun. My lounge is currently filled with toys my kid is playing with - AT-AT, Falcon, AT-ST, some ships you'd not know from The Clone Wars. It's been great having Star Wars as it brings us closer together, gives us something to talk about. We watch the films frequently, sit back on the couch bring down the big scope screen and laugh and cheer. It gives me a lot of joy.

I guess I'm either not intelligent enough or not dumb enough to let these "changes" ruin the experience for me.

Comment

I do have a basic understanding of your opinions - I simply think they're pathetic. Maybe if you explained them better I would not think they were pathetic. But there you go.
              Classy.

Comment

Hey, that's my opinion. If people are entitled to Hate Lucas, I'm entitled to think those people are pathetic. I have yet to see, hear or read any logical, intelligent reason, here or elsewhere, why these changes would make people Hate Lucas so much and be so pissy about Star Wars in general. All I encounter are opinions with no actual reasoned argument. Even here, you've not explained why these changes are so horrific to you, just told me I don't understand it.

Every thread about Star Wars and Lucas, on any forum, degenerates into this. It's tiresome. And I say that as someone who doesn't like all the changes, but at least I'm not letting them ruin the films for me....

Comment

Sorry we don't all share your opinion and you find that pathetic, mate. But I respect your opinion and it's cool you still enjoy the movies.

Comment

I may not hate Lucas personally, but I do really hate his style of direction. Even going back to 1986 when I was old enough to appreciate partially what was going on with the movies, I preferred Empire and Jedi, A New Hope hardly got any play.

My favourite renditions of the original trilogy are actually the cinematic Special Editions (anything with Hayden Christianisms and a kiwi Boba Fett went too far), everything was cleaned up and most of the new CG sections fit perfectly. Watching Han meet Jabba at Mos Eisley for the first time was friggin' awesome. I'd love Blu-rays of the original cinematic releases, I'm probably the only one, but I only have those on VHS, or used to.

I think I prefer The Phantom Menace over A New Hope...

Comment

And I do feel sorry for you guys. Because you can't enjoy the films anymore. And that, 100%, is your loss. I love Star Wars, they're great fun. My lounge is currently filled with toys my kid is playing with - AT-AT, Falcon, AT-ST, some ships you'd not know from The Clone Wars. It's been great having Star Wars as it brings us closer together, gives us something to talk about. We watch the films frequently, sit back on the couch bring down the big scope screen and laugh and cheer. It gives me a lot of joy.

I guess I'm either not intelligent enough or not dumb enough to let these "changes" ruin the experience for me.
                      My first son is due in April and I cannot wait to show him star wars. It's going to be epic. And I'll wager that he'll love them all. Seriously I cannot wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Sorry we don't all share your opinion and you find that pathetic, mate. But I respect your opinion and it's cool you still enjoy the movies.
                        That's not what I'm saying at all man My point is people cut off their own nose to spite their face. Would I love to have the originals on BR? You bet! But it's not going to happen. So rather than complain every single time anyone mentions Star Wars, I sat down and watched the films with my kids. And the films are still, shock horror, very good.

Yes, I do find it pathetic that people would dismiss a film that was "hugely important to their childhood" just because some changes are made. If people don't like the changes (and I've said enough times there are some I really don't like) that's fair enough, but never watching the film again and Hating Lucas? Yes, that's pathetic.

Again though, my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
                          My first son is due in April and I cannot wait to show him star wars. It's going to be epic. And I'll wager that he'll love them all. Seriously I cannot wait.
                          I waited until he was 4 1/2. Watched ep 4 a few times, then 5 (I jumped the cutting open of the tauntaun), then 6. He loves episode 1 (a child liking JarJar, imagine that!) and I've edited ep 2 and 3 removing all the unsuitable stuff (and there's actually quite a lot, I think I lost 5 or 6 minutes in each film). He likes ep 2 a lot, but can't make it through ep 3. He adores Anakin and finds his shift hard to take, he gets "tired" and wants to turn it off.

Be warned, it may become the most important thing in his life! My son sings Star Wars themes throughout the day I'm very proud

Comment

Cheers, Matt. Rest assured you're making yourself very clear. Points taken.

Comment

I waited until he was 4 1/2. Watched ep 4 a few times, then 5 (I jumped the cutting open of the tauntaun), then 6. He loves episode 1 (a child liking JarJar, imagine that!) and I've edited ep 2 and 3 removing all the unsuitable stuff (and there's actually quite a lot, I think I lost 5 or 6 minutes in each film). He likes ep 2 a lot, but can't make it through ep 3. He adores Anakin and finds his shift hard to take, he gets "tired" and wants to turn it off.

Be warned, it may become the most important thing in his life! My son sings Star Wars themes throughout the day I'm very proud
                              Yeah I was aiming for about 4 years old - sounds awesome. And gives me an excuse to buy toys again!

Comment

Ah yes.... be warned, the toys are MUCH better than the ones we had as kids! Bigger vehicles, and figures with great articulation. Lots of fun

Comment

Working...
                                X