No announcement yet.

MCD: Movie Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the opening weekend winding down to a close, Episode 7 looks to have grossed a worldwide total of $517m

To put that in digestible mile marker bullet points:

-It has already outgrossed the entire worldwide earnings made by The Empire Strikes Back
    -It has also outgrossed the entire worldwide earnings made by Return of the Jedi
    -By the end of Monday it will likely have outgrossed the entire worldwide earnings made by A New Hope
    -In one weekend it is over 50% of the way to becoming the highest grossing Star Wars film ever and becoming the first entry to earn more than $1bn
    -We'll need final figures but if the current figure holds then it will be the second biggest international opening of all time behind only this years Jurassic World.
    -The film is already the 141th highest grossing film of all time
    -In its opening weekend the film came just $1m short of outgrossing the lifetime takings of Ant-Man
    -If the film cost $250m to make and another $250m to market, just to spitball figures. Disney would likely recoup its purchase of Lucasfilm by their eighth Star Wars release. Marketing costs were likely higher but the takings from merchandise will be astronomical. Breaking even by the time Episode IX is done isn't out the running.

Comment

The phantom menace believe it or not is already part of the billion dollar club

Disney paid 4BN for the rights of Lucasfilm and they've already said no matter what the movies make which I'm sure they know they will do well, merchandising is where the money is and they are already smashing that
      Last edited by buster_broon; 20-12-2015, 17:41.

Comment

Is it? The site linked has it at $983m but I can't see anything mentioning the 3D rerelease a couple of years back so it could well be

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          Is it? The site linked has it at $983m but I can't see anything mentioning the 3D rerelease a couple of years back so it could well be

Comment

The box office for Star Wars, Empire and Jedi paint a very different picture when adjusted for inflation (eg: if they'd been released in this day and age). For North America alone, their takings would be phenomenal. Ep 4 would've grossed nearly $1.5 billion domestically.... Ep7 has a way to go before hitting those numbers over it's lifetime, even if it has multiple theatrical re-releases like the original trilogy had!

Last edited by Spooky Mulder; 20-12-2015, 22:03.

Comment

Cor some reason the stock worldwide figures on there haven't been updated. Cool, seems like each first entry in a trilogy is the peak one.

For Episode VII, I'm expecting it to coast to stop somewhere between $1.5 and $2bn. I currently don't feel it will pass that into Camerons territory

Comment

Now that the box office is actual (and not estimated), on it's first weekend Ep VII has taken $247 million at the US domestic and $529 million worldwide (with China not opening till January!). That's the all time domestic AND worldwide opening weekend records gone (previously held by Jurassic World), with the world's second biggest box office market still to open next month!!
                Last edited by Spooky Mulder; 22-12-2015, 12:46.

Comment

Reading between the lines Star Wars might not fair that well in China

The older movies had their first screening months ago and weren't that well received

The same way both avenger movies pretty much tanked in Japan

Comment

Star Wars is a bit of an unknown quantity in China, but Disney has spent a fortune raising awareness, so it should do pretty well.

The Avengers movies didn't tank in China, the first one grossed over $86 million and Age of Ultron over $240 million (figures from boxofficemojo all time international takings).
                    Last edited by Spooky Mulder; 22-12-2015, 22:26.

Comment

Quickest movie in history now to pass over the 1BN threshold

Beat jurrasic world by a day - took 12 days to pass the milestone, what makes it more important is that Jurassic had already opened in China which helped it get there in 13 days whereas Star Wars hasn't

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if there's a strong holdover next week as Xmas and New Years could have kept people back from seeing it also. I know a few SW fans who haven't had the chance to catch it yet due to the hols. I think 3rd place all time is a lock now. Still not convinced the top two points are entirely within reach... maybe number 2 at a push.

Comment

rhing is I thought it opened to general release on the 17th which would make it 11 days if 12 days wasn't impressive enough

Comment

For me, this is all made far less impressive by just following up Jurassic World's records which was just a few months ago, even with the China release. I have a feeling that it could build far more interesting and lasting records through repeat viewings.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if that's a lot of the money has came from especially in the states

Comment

There's lots of ongoing chatter across the net about how much money the film is making and by the end of the week, it's expected to enter the Top 7 highest grossing films of all time after what will be about 18-19 days

Comment

Working...
                                X