Grandstand seating at music concerts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandstand seating at music concerts?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a standard for where grandstands are normally positioned for music concerts?

I've booked tickets to see the red hot chili peppers this summer at Knebworth Park, and I've been given the opportunity to upgrade my normal tickets to a reserved grandstand seat.

The only information I can find on this is: 'The grandstand location gives a great, elevated view of the stage with the added
    comfort of a seat.' and it will cost an extra ?30 a ticket. I can't find a map layout or any more information on where the grandstand is positioned.

It's my first ever live music concert and I was wondering if anyone has some advice on what I should do? I mean it's got to be a better view on an elevated seating platform than down on the ground and the grandstand shouldn't be too far away from the stage right?

Sitting down at a big gig is utterly pointless IMO, you get none of the atmosphere of being part of the crowd. To answer your question though, they tend to be to the side of the stage.

Comment

Do you mean like directly connected to the stage on the side. Or out in front of the stage to the side at like a 45 degree angle sort of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
        Do you mean like directly connected to the stage on the side. Or out in front of the stage to the side at like a 45 degree angle sort of thing?
        Yes its usually out in front of the stage directly to the right or left. Don't bother sitting unless you are less than 5ft tall. Especially for your first gig! I have had seats for a couple of gigs - motley crue (sitting down ruined this) and metallica at the o2 which was awesome as the seats were a 20 second walk to the bar. Plus the tickets were only 5 quid.

Comment

Don't you think though that at such a big open air gig with the RHCP there will be a lot of crowding down near the front of the stage?

I don't think I want to be stood for a few hours seeing tiny blips on the horizon of my favourite band because i'm so far back from the stage. I think I'd rather actually have a good view of them in person.

Comment

Possibly but surely they will have video screens? Plus you could always barge to the front, but expect to meet some crazy people! Atmosphere in a crowd is way better than seating.

Comment

I believe there will be video screens.

Here's a picture from the stage out at Knebworth back when Oasis played there:

Looks like a tiered system at that gig, mosh pit at the front and general admission behind that or something.

Comment

First gig I went to was The Smashing Pumpkins and we had seats on the balcony. The bassist asked if the people downstairs if we were their parents!

Once we could only get tickets for the Foo Fighters at the far side of the stage. It felt like we were a mile away and watching it on a tiny telly. I vowed that I'd rather not go than feel so uninvolved again.

However, another time a friend was working for Razorlight and got us tickets pretty much level with the stage and I found it fascinating to watch all the goings on from a technical viewpoint.

Seeing as it's the Chilis and they'll probably do a 20 minute jam that'll get boring after 5, you'll be glad of a seat!

The real atmosphere is down in the crowd, but seeing as it's your first gig and Knebworth is pretty big, you might enjoy being in the Grandstand seating. ?30 extra is bloomin' cheeky though. You could buy their last three albums or see a few other bands for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                  I believe there will be video screens.

Here's a picture from the stage out at Knebworth back when Oasis played there:

Looks like a tiered system at that gig, mosh pit at the front and general admission behind that or something.
                  I was in the pit at that gig, oh the memories............

Comment

Mosh Pit at an Oasis gig
                    Didn't realise they are a metalcore band now

Comment

There was no moshing, it was a good day though. Had been at their open air show at Loch Lomond the weekend before as well mind, it was the superior gig, unbelievable atmosphere at that one.

Comment

Pfft no mosh, no point only worth pitting for the casual violence (kidding )

Comment

I've decided to say on the ground level and hope I can push up somewhere near the front.

From pictures it also looks like Knebworth park slopes downwards into the stage, anyone know if thats accurate?

Comment

Fight your way to within 15ft of the front, that's what I always do. Shouldn't be hard at all really, it's a 10's era RHCP gig - just shove all those weaksauce floppy student types out the road.

Only people over the age of 55, or those with health problems, sit down at gigs.

I remember all those Satriani concerts at the Manny Apollo where they'd installed the seating each time. Those were **** as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                            X