No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL @ this thread btw. It was guaranteed to descend into jokes from the off really.

Comment

Plenty of people have shown Lucas how it's done.
      Like who ?

Comment

Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan come to mind.

Comment

All this talk of whoring out and exploiting Star Wars? It's called the movie BUSINESS. They make films to make money. If you want art then go watch a Steven Soderburg film. Star Trek fans didn't complain with loads of series being released. Why do Star Wars fans have such a snobbish attitude to it all. They treat the OT like its some kind of museum piece that should be left to gather dust and never be touched or sullied with sequels or merchandise. Those films were pulp science fiction films on a big scale

Comment

Nobody ever really minded the "whoring out" (your words). Nobody had a problem with sequels, prequels or merchandise. In fact the level of excitement for Ep1 among fans was beyond insane, in total contrast to your claim that fans think they "should be left to gather dust and never be touched or sullied with sequels or merchandise".

The problem is one of quality. Good Star Wars spin-offs? Awesome. Star Wars Holiday Special? Hated on due to incredible ****ness. Prequels... well, we know what happened there. Where the real bad feeling comes from in many circles is that then Lucas changed the good ones to match the **** ones. It's like re-editing The Godfather so it fits better with Godfather 3.

But let's not pretend that Star Wars fans didn't want the prequels, sequels or merchandise. They did.

Comment

Well said, Dogg. I'm a big SW fan and I'd love some GOOD Star Wars, but the thing is we haven't got a lot lately. I loved Knights of the Old Republic games to bits for example, but sadly there hasn't been anything to match those in years.

Btw. does this trade mean that Disney also owns LucasArts and rights to Star Wars games as well?
              Last edited by Guts; 31-10-2012, 10:44.

Comment

It must do as they have already talked about the plans for new social and mobile Star Wars games.

Comment

As long as the new movies tie-in and don't star Hayden Christiansen I'll be happy. Empire is still my favourite, I can barely watch A New Hope without cringing these days. I still enjoy Phantom Menance like I always have.

THIS IS BETTER THAN CONSTANT REBOOTS OF OTHER FRANCHISES, PEOPLE.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan come to mind.
                    Oh Yeah , We've all gone to see a Brackett epic on the Big screen . Come up with own world own characters and story and put it up on the Big screen and really show Lucas how its done.

They treat the OT like its some kind of museum piece that should be left to gather dust and never be touched or sullied with sequels or merchandise
                    Spot on

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      Oh Yeah , We've all gone to see a Brackett epic on the Big screen . Come up with own world own characters and story and put it up on the Big screen and really show Lucas how its done.
                      I think that was exactly what Dog Thang was suggesting...

Comment

Let's none of us complain about videogames either, unless you're capable of programming a better one yourself. That's how criticism works isn't it? Roger Ebert is a geat film maker, that's why he's allowed to be a critic.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          I love it when people write that sort silly rubbish . Looking over this is the man that created and wrote 2 amazing franchises, that was sensible enough to keep the rights to Star Wars merchandising . Lucas is also the man that's made billions and just made another couple of billion , more money than you'll ever make that's for sure .

He's got more of a clue that you mate , that's for sure .
                          I'm glad you "love it" (I suspect you really dont) but ah, making money. I'm afraid its not a pursuit I've particularly indulged in. I'm more in it for the love of the story which is something you seem to forget in your appraisal of Lucas's acheivements. He's a proven hack now that his "amazing franchises" have turned to sh1t (IMHO of course but I'm not alone in this I can assure you). He cant direct but his ego wont allow him to admit that and he's sold his soul before he croaks it to make even more money. If moneymaking was the only object then fair play but hollywood is also referred to as tinsletown, you know, the place where magic happens and dreams are made. This is why A New Hope was so spectacularly popular during its release in '77. It completely transported people away into somewhere they'd never seen before. I mean the plot of a new Hope is basically an archetypal western
                          movie in a sci fi setting.

Also, lets never criticise EA for making ****, souless games because they're making ****loads of cash.

Gimme a break buddy and get off your high horse.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                            Let's none of us complain about videogames either, unless you're capable of programming a better one yourself. That's how criticism works isn't it? Roger Ebert is a geat film maker, that's why he's allowed to be a critic.
                            There's a slight difference; people are making out Lucas hasn't a clue, doesn't know what he's doing and how they can do better - difference is Lucas created Star Wars its his baby and he's made a lot of money from it . Lucas seems to know very well what he's doing and I'm not even a big fan of the man or Star Wars . But to me he created the worlds , put them on our screens can do what he feels is best with his creation and I would think the same to the likes of Sam Rami and Evil Dead and James Cameron with Terminator if those film makers were even to have complete control

I hated Evil Dead III but at the end of the day it was Sam baby and his world to mess around with

Comment

As above, nobody's denying that Lucas is a good businessman, they're saying that he's a bad filmmaker. When the world of Star Wars was being created, he did not have full control, and a lot of retarded ideas on his part got changed, like Han Solo being a frog man, and C3P0 being a seedy car salesman type or whatever. Look at everything he's done since he's become too big to be questioned or challenged - a big ol' pile of crap. He either doesn't know anything about filmmaking (just look at the crappy static shot/reverse shot he uses for every single dialogue scene), or he's ****ing lazy as all hell and isn't even trying. Neither of those options gets any respect or admiration from me.

Comment

He cant direct but his ego wont allow him to admit that and he's sold his soul before he croaks it to make even more money
                                I would say with 1970's Star Wars and American Graffiti prove he was a decent director

Also, lets never criticise EA for making ****, souless games because they're making ****loads of cash
                                I think you need to get with the times 1) EA make rather good games . 2) EA aren't making shed loads of cash at the mo

He's a proven hack now that his "amazing franchises" have turned to sh1t
                                Yet it still made billions and lots of people love it . To me Star Wars was never that amazing and everything has its time. I have huge respect for George A. Romero and what he did with his own take a trilogy , but think Land of the Dead is pile of crap, but at the end of the day that doesn't take away from his classic and what he did in his hey day

Comment

Working...
                                X