Recommend me moody movies with snow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me moody movies with snow!

Yeah, the winter is here and all that. I love movies with emphasis on snow, or at least has a snowy backdrop. For me it adds a sense of vulnerability and another element of mystique, being surrounded by the cold, white snow. Seeing snow fall from the sky, the characters breath. I don't know, but I love it. I'm specifically looking for "moody" movies. Movies with a specific tone or feel, not dumb comedies or stuff like that.

Examples of movies I love with snow:
    -The Thing (the obvious one)
    -The Shining
    -The Ice Storm
    -Batman Returns
    -The Empire Strikes Back
    -Pontypool
    -The Mothman Prophecies
    -Fargo
    -A Simple Plan
    -Let The Right One In
    -Sleepy Hollow

Can't go wrong with Edward Scissorhands and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Not really moody, but Groundhog Day is one of my all time favourite movies.

Comment

Die Hard 2

Comment

Lot of good ones already mentioned, at the moment I can only think of 30 days of night.

Comment

Sin City had a lot of snow didn't it? In the Bruce Willis bits?

Comment

Comment

I know you said you wanted serious moody films.

but the Norwegian Horror comedy Dead Snow is brilliant.... And has lots of snow in it.

Comment

Has to be Day of the Outlaw, a very bleak biting cold western set during a snowstorm in a remote town during a harsh winter. Burl Ives is awesome in it too.

Last edited by vanpeebles; 06-11-2012, 08:48.

Comment

Fargo

edit: you already have it ha ha

Comment

The Thaw
                    A research expedition to the Arctic discovers that a melting polar ice cap has released a deadly prehistoric parasite.

Alive
                    Uruguayan rugby team stranded in the snow swept Andes are forced to use desperate measures to survive after a plane crash.

The Day After Tomorrow
                    Jack Hall, paleoclimatologist for NORAD, must make a daring trek across America to reach his son, trapped in the cross-hairs of a sudden international storm which plunges the planet into a new Ice Age.

Altered States of Plaine
                    A young man on the run from a mysterious government agency is desperate to find the cure for a condition that causes him to wake up at random places around the world when he falls asleep.

Virus
                    A military-engineered virus, released during a plane crash, kills the entire human population. The only survivors are scientists in Antarctica...

Whiteout
                    U.S. Marshal Carrie Stetko tracks a killer in Antarctica, as the sun is about to set for six months.

I've just read a great book called Outpost that features a lot of these elements:
                    A derelict refinery platform moored in the Arctic Ocean. A skeleton crew of fifteen fight boredom and despair as they wait for a relief ship to take them home.

But the world beyond their frozen wasteland has gone to hell. Cities lie ravaged by a global pandemic. One by one TV channels die, replaced by silent wavebands.

The Rampart crew are marooned. They must survive the long Arctic winter, then make their way home alone. They battle starvation and hypothermia, unaware that the deadly contagion that has devastated the world is heading their way...

Comment

This thread is missing Chalet Girl. There are some young people being moody in it if that counts I enjoyed it actually.

Comment

You could watch The Grey. I wouldn't advise it though, other than to see the amazing crash sequence at the beginning.

Comment

While I've seen most of the suggestions; please keep them coming! I should add that I don't watch movies that are Scandinavian or star Kate Beckinsale.
                          Last edited by JSR; 06-11-2012, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Alive
                            Uruguayan rugby team stranded in the snow swept Andes are forced to use desperate measures to survive after a plane crash.
                            Great film! haven't seen it in years mind.

Altered States of Plaine
                            A young man on the run from a mysterious government agency is desperate to find the cure for a condition that causes him to wake up at random places around the world when he falls asleep.
                            Fight Club in the snow?

Comment

The Nightmare Before Christmas is quite snowy and moody.

Comment

Working...
                              X