Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that last night and enjoyed it. I am a fan of the books and thought Cruise had some nice touches as Reacher. Shame his internal body clock wasn't used, but Herzog was perfectly cast.

Tried to watch Ted but turned it off after 35 minutes due to it being ****.

Comment

Total Recall, the new one. Went in with a positive outlook but the film just failed for me. Felt so indifferent to everything that was happening.

The Watch, mainly for the sake of Ayoade, but it too sucked hard.

On the missus sidr of things we're now 10 films into her Bond education. The Spy Who Loved Me was last which is her fave so far, this time I found it ok but a bit hohum

Comment

Contagion on BR, I'm never leaving the house again too many uncleans

Comment

The Raid after many recommendations on here. So enjoyable, great NYE film with some beer in hand and some great food. Action right from the off and some brutal fighting. Definitely one to watch again.

One not to watch again is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Totally abysmal with dire acting, poor characters and an uninteresting plot. Gyllenhaal was awful (and I usually like him) and not even Ben Kingsley could class it up. They did seem to get some elements of the game in but it was otherwise terrible. Gemma Arterton is gorgeous though and she wore an alluring array of Persian outfits However, her character in the film was a mega-annoying 'grrrl power!'/independent woman/always have the last word type, which are well known and depicted clearly throughout history....not.

Comment

Despicable me and The Watch on BR good nights entertainment

Comment

tonight watched the following:

Skyfall - decent 2nd viewing and still enjoyed it

Possession - actually a decent horror flick with scares in the right places from ghost house, most of their movies and dark castle are all pretty decent

this is 40 - had some funny moments but not as funny as knocked up, which its kinda sort of a semi sequel - megan fox cant act but she is bloddy hot

currently watching Action Jackson - incredible from start to finish Hot, hotter, hottest
              Last edited by buster_broon; 01-01-2013, 01:57.

Comment

Went to see Jack Reacher at the cinema yesterday. I went in expecting something very different from what I got and I give it a cautious recommendation.

I was expecting a straightforward thriller, baddie vs. goodie story, but what I actually found was some kind of comical satire of the genre. The film absolutely has comical elements to it – there are definite jokes in there and a well judged cameo which involves some jokey back and forth during the climax. But, more than that, the whole setup and direction of the film is absurd and the moral code of the protagonist is clearly defective, leading to a particular moral choice made at the end which jars totally with conventional Hollywood movie ethics.

Instead of bringing the bad guys to book, Reacher kills all of them, including an unarmed old man, shot in cold blood.

The violence is also rather over the top and it probably got the 12A rating by doing the worst of the violence by sound effect only.

The audience seemed to laugh more as the film went on, which was mirrored by the increasing number of jokes and absurdities – a hallmark of a film that seems to lure you into a false sense of security with regard to its seriousness or otherwise. What I'm not sure of is if this is what was intended by the film's makers. There are some elements which could be explained by poor script writing or delivery and, as I said before, others that were clearly intended to raise a laugh. All internet mention of the film I can find doesn't view it as comedy or satire, so I imagine mine would be a controversial reading of the film.
                Last edited by egparadigm; 01-01-2013, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                  Went to see Jack Reacher at the cinema yesterday. I went in expecting something very different from what I got and I give it a cautious recommendation.

I was expecting a straightforward thriller, baddie vs. goodie story, but what I actually found was some kind of comical satire of the genre. The film absolutely has comical elements to it – there are definite jokes in there and a well judged cameo which involves some jokey back and forth during the climax. But, more than that, the whole setup and direction of the film is absurd and the moral code of the protagonist is clearly defective, leading to a particular moral choice made at the end which jars totally with conventional Hollywood movie ethics.

Instead of bringing the bad guys to book, Reacher kills all of them, including an unarmed old man, shot in cold blood.

The violence is also rather over the top and it probably got the 12A rating by doing the worst of the violence by sound effect only.

The audience seemed to laugh more as the film went on, which was mirrored by the increasing number of jokes and absurdities – a hallmark of a film that seems to lure you into a false sense of security with regard to its seriousness or otherwise. What I'm not sure of is if this is what was intended by the film's makers. There are some elements which could be explained by poor script writing or delivery and, as I said before, others that were clearly intended to raise a laugh. All internet mention of the film I can find doesn't view it as comedy or satire, so I imagine mine would be a controversial reading of the film.
                  Thefilm is not suppose to be a satire. If you read the books (of which there are a whopping 17) Jack Reacher is basically a jack Bauer type character who who runs about doing extreme stuff to get the job done. They basically make you giggle with glee at the crazy stuff he does. That's what the movie was going for.

Comment

Total Recall (2012). I found it enjoyable enough, I haven't seen the original for a long while and I'm not too attached to it. Thought it was a decent, no-brainer, run and gun type of film. The last half an hour was utterly stupid though in terms of the plot. Also featured the battle of the beautiful asses between Beckinsale and Biel.

Comment

Yes Man. Somehow I have managed to live my life up to now without ever having seen Zooey Deschanel. I don't think I can ever be truly happy now until she is my wife.

Comment

watch the TV show New girl - she is quite funny in that - or her sister in Bones

anyway watched a movie called GhostQuake - just dont f**king bother - the worst film ive ever seen

Danny Trejo what are you doing

Comment

The Possession was bloody hilarious. The little girls acting was bloody awful, when she slapped the **** out of the kid in class. I was laughing my head off. The dialogue and script is a joke. It had lines like.
                          "I hate hospitals... people die here." and one instance where the father says "It's only a fight", then dramatic shift and raised eyebrows from teacher. "It was violent."
                          Never knew fights were violent. Learn something new everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                            Yes Man. Somehow I have managed to live my life up to now without ever having seen Zooey Deschanel. I don't think I can ever be truly happy now until she is my wife.

Comment

well i dont sit there with a note pad and critique people on their acting skills, i thought it was decent enough and liked it when it was trying to escape though her face

next you will be telling me that the pastel shades of paint didnt match the set or something or the box should be a darker shade of wood

anyway watch the Punisher (1989) with Dolph and ive seen it before but still enjoyable if not a guilty pleasure and its blatently obvious capcom used some of the sets for the The Punisher arcade game

last night i watched the toxic avenger for the first time and even though it scores well on IMDB and metacritic, i just dont get it, just outrageous, did laugh when he ripped off a baddie's arm and hit him with it

the women in it were awsome though and thats the type of figure a woman should have, hope 1984 comes back around again

Comment

Had a few films suggested by a guy at work I have spoken to once so obviously took his word and watched...

The Loved Ones - Psycho family abduction style film from Australia. I thought it was excellent...decnt gore and likeable characters both good and the baddies!

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - Stupid premise and terrible FX but I thought it was quite good fun! Plus I will watch Mary Elizabeth Winstead in anything!

On the subject of film watching...anyone bother with http://letterboxd.com/ ?
                                Like a cross between a film diary,facebook and twitter! I have decided to watch at least a film a day this year and getting addicted to another network (like twitter talking almost exclusively to myself) it might help me do that!

Am ahead of schedule so far too!

Comment

Working...
                                X