• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full trailer finally hits:

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Full trailer finally hits:

I saw that during the footie last night ... Looks like a potentially interesting new darker direction ...

Which would coincide with the 13th incarnation and

The Valeyard

potentially anyway.

Comment

Talks have happened around Peter Jackson one day directing an episode

“Kill List” and “Sightseers” director Ben Wheatley’s feature-length episode of “Doctor Who” is getting a worldwide theatrical run that will follow the same formula they used with last year’s 50th anniversary episode. The BBC has announced that the upcoming “Deep Breath,” the 75-minute season premiere that introduces Peter Capaldi’s new take on The Doctor, will […]

Comment

The new Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi, has engaged in a lengthy interview with UK newspaper The Sunday Times ahead of the new season premiere of “Doctor Who” on August 23rd. It’s a fairly extensive piece, covering the darker nature of the character that he intends to bring to the role and how it affects the […]

Capaldi says having him on board means more drama, less flirting

Comment

With less than three weeks before the new season launch of “Doctor Who,” producer Steven Moffat has spoken more about the plans for this year and the franchise’s future with new Doctor Peter Capaldi playing a darker, sterner Time Lord. First up, the new season will not do the heavy story arc of Series Six […]

Apparently the new series will be structured like the T Davies era series whereby hints exist in each ep leeading up to a big finale

Comment

Another quick trailer

Comment

Has Peter Capaldi signed on for a second season of “Doctor Who”? Both Metro and The Mirror reported the other day that Capaldi has signed up for both the ninth season of the show and this year’s Christmas Special. I attended a media screening of the season premiere episode “Deep Breath” this morning here in […]

Capaldi likely to return and Series 9 will air this time next year in an uninterupted run again

Comment

Actress Jenna Coleman is reportedly leaving “Doctor Who” following her scoring the lead role in “Victoria,” an ITV miniseries about Queen Victoria. Coleman was going to leave the show in last year’s Christmas special, but was asked to come back and agreed. She returned to the role of Clara Oswald for the ninth season which […]

Apparently Jenna Coleman is already lining up to leave in the Xmas special. To me she's very likeable in how she comes across as a person but I won't be sad at her leaving. The Clara storyline didn't really pay off and her acting is very kids show flat.

Comment

I consider myself one of the more... forgiving watchers of the show. Even during times when many have bemoaned various aspects of the show I enjoyed its weekly adventures. I even kept the faith effectively during the last series or two when it was thrown around the schedules and incredibly poorly plotted in its arcs as Moffatt pleased his own plot desires without spending enough time monitoring quality control because the elements at play were fun to watch.

So, last night's first ep aired with Capaldi stepping in to make his stamp. If I have to be completely and utterly honest, I thought by and large the episode was mostly made up of fail. Probably one of the weakest the show has put out in quite some time. For all the fans love of the recent nods and references to Classic Who era, the ep was also far too nodding into Tennants run. Capaldi's progressive turn from regeneration into Doctor broadly mirroring Tennants in his first ep too much.

Where did it go wrong? First and foremost, the length. It was far too long an episode for how little story was contained within its run time. There was so much padding it was obscene. From the dinosaur in the Thames that existed for no other reason than to just go 'look! Another dinosaur!' to the heavily overused team of Vastra/Jenny and Strax who provided no real purpose other than to repeatedly point out throughout the ep that Capaldi was the Doctor. When the main bad guy took on his first victim about 10 minutes into the ep you knew the entire plot to its conclusion and had to watch painfully as everyone else took forever to clock on.

There's other things that are supposed to hook you into the wider series approach too that failed like:

Spoilered:

Did the Doctor push the enemy out the balloon to its death or not? Answer?... Who cares? Tennants Doctor literally did kill the bad guy in his first ep so its hardly an interesting character quandry

What could the mysterious woman in the garden have to do with all these events? Again, who cares? I'd happily never see her again, I don't think I've found a character so annoying on the show so quickly in a long time. Mystery women in Moffatt-Who are old hat anyway too

What worked?
                    Clara. Frankly, watching the last series back before this Jenna Coleman came across a little poorly as I was more aware of her Kids TV acting approach. Here though they gave her more to do and made her more of a banterous challenge for the Doctor. The only grating thing being the forced attempt to change the characters personality to match the new Doctor.

Capaldi. He mostly worked well in the episode. He's a very good actor and very likeable so he was easy to watch as he went about his business. His banter with Clara was very good and he brings a very different and therefore fresh feel to the show. My only issue being that at the end of the episode I still felt like I was watching Capaldi play Capaldi. I had no real sense that he was the Doctor. It's not through having to transition from the madcap young Doctors tone we've had for years now, more simply that this episode was broadly a very poor vehicle for him to take control of the role with him wasted acted stupidly nuts for half the time and doing simple generic Doctory stuff we've seen many times before for the second half.

Overall, it felt very half arsed. From the lax plotting, bloated run time, lick of paint and it'll do new Tardis interior, reused plot points, flacid teasing hints etc, just a wave of meh. I'm hoping, really hoping, that the second episode which looks much more proper Who gives Capaldi the material he deserves.
                    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 24-08-2014, 09:20.

Comment

I came here to say pretty much that ^

Comment

I could not have put it better myself.

Comment

Much calmer response for Ep2. I felt much more positive with this ep, my main concern at first was that for poor Capaldi it immediately felt like he was being fobbed off with second hand scripts for the second time in a row as the set up felt very much like Eccleston's first Dalek ep. they managed to steer the story in enough of a different direction to keep it on track though. Even if they hadn't though the real show was the Doctor and his banter again, I'm liking the approach they've taken with him and Clara (and her new boyf by the looks) all seem to work really well. The Missy bit was thankfully very brief so easy to ignore. Next weeks ep looks ropey as hell though

Comment

There is always the possibility that the familiarity of the stories so far is deliberate.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

That'd be cool if they handled it right, read somewhere there's two Tom Baker era eps that are very similar to both these eps too

Comment

Ep3 was passable for me, not great but bearable. Far too cheesy with forced humour, moments of it reeked of Matt Smiths era humour.

Comment

Working...
                                X