No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started watching Death Note. Suddenly I'm on episode 12 so I must be enjoying it!

Comment

While I think Death Note is great, its second story arc (and you'll know when you hit it) is nowhere near as good 1st half.

And speaking of old shows, I've rewatched Fafner- Dead Aggressor to remind me what happened over a decade ago so I could watch the film and new tv series. Man I'd forgotten how mean and rage inducing the main cast deaths are,

Shoko's kamikaze early on when the machines weren't fit for purpose, kenji getting assimilated, Mamoru saving the day but his escape pod got thrashed in the aftermath when you thought he'd got through it and Brodude saving the island and nearly following through on his promise to stay alive but to have that enemy ****er grab his escape pod just after launch and crush it . Good times.

Definitely suffers from SEED face still, the characters are all a wig swap away from each other.

After that I watched the film, set years after the tv show with the young kids from the 1st series now teenagers (ready to pilot fafners) which had some pretty cool looking mecha and some decent fights which moved on from the Rahxephon like slinging attacks at each other into a fast paced almost Macross like fights with the upgrade in enemy MIR types, which makes the film seem like an introduction a new breed of MIR for the new TV series (yet to watch). If you like the end of humanity mecha stuff like Eva and Rahxephon it's worth a shot.

Comment

Been playing Naruto skip through them, usung youtube to watch the main battles it's so liberating no filler and constant flashbacks just nonstop action. Some wonderful person did all 4 and a half hours of the battle between Naruto & Obito it's insane. The special attacks just keep coming although i still don't understand how

Orochimaru

is back as i thought he was gone i missed that part of the story i guess of him returning.

I'll happily sacrifice the finer details not to endure nonstoop filler. One day i'll maybe go back and watch the entire thing from start to finish.

Comment

Naruto Ship always appears front page of CR and for at least for the last 3 months while I've been slowly watching Gintama it looked like awful filler crap. I still think Naruto with the few fillers in it cut, and all the filler after the Sasuke "rescue" arc ignored is still a top show which didn't rely only on powerlevels and flinging rasengan everywhere, Shippuden lost that soon after it started(for as much as I enjoyed the fights the story got pretty bad) and ties in closely to Naruto finding out he's some special heir to throne rather than outcast nobody using work ethic over natural talent.

Also Gundam Origins 1 is out, looks like I was wrong about it potentially being dull, looks like it has some awesome animated mecha scenes. Similar to Unicorn, comes in at just under an hour.
          Last edited by Tobal; 28-02-2015, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
            While I think Death Note is great, its second story arc (and you'll know when you hit it) is nowhere near as good 1st half.

And speaking of old shows, I've rewatched Fafner- Dead Aggressor to remind me what happened over a decade ago so I could watch the film and new tv series. Man I'd forgotten how mean and rage inducing the main cast deaths are,

Shoko's kamikaze early on when the machines weren't fit for purpose, kenji getting assimilated, Mamoru saving the day but his escape pod got thrashed in the aftermath when you thought he'd got through it and Brodude saving the island and nearly following through on his promise to stay alive but to have that enemy ****er grab his escape pod just after launch and crush it . Good times.

Definitely suffers from SEED face still, the characters are all a wig swap away from each other.

After that I watched the film, set years after the tv show with the young kids from the 1st series now teenagers (ready to pilot fafners) which had some pretty cool looking mecha and some decent fights which moved on from the Rahxephon like slinging attacks at each other into a fast paced almost Macross like fights with the upgrade in enemy MIR types, which makes the film seem like an introduction a new breed of MIR for the new TV series (yet to watch). If you like the end of humanity mecha stuff like Eva and Rahxephon it's worth a shot.
            I probably mentioned I get all the ideas for what to watch from SRW games, Fafner included.
            Did you already see Kurogane no Linebarrel? Semi-SEEDface but worth it (I love the ED as well).
            Having spent the last week organising my drives, I should finally get to watching all the Yuusha series in order, and finishing with GaoGaiGar again.

Comment

Don't remember to much of it apart from the full CGI mecha, couple of backstabbing twists and the bit half way through where the main girl gets to pilot Linebarrels vs enemy ace in a too fast for you fight with some great music playing. If you liked Linebarrels, Majestic Prince from I think last year or 2013 was similar show (and SEED sameface) but better done, though it more about the team of misfit aces having to work together compared just annoying justice MC in Linebarrel.

Watched Gundam Origins 1, good watch, definitely worth it if you like UC era.

Comment

I think I looked at Majestic Prince and immediately got busy and forgot about it, as I tend to do with most things these days.

Comment

Getting closer to end for a couple shows now we're into the ep10'n'20's.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - I think this will be my fav of the season, the building up of and ****ting on Piano-boy and friends really plays with your emotions, and im starting to think

Kaori's not only going to die but not even have the strength to play violin one last time like an extra kick to the teeth, her death-like throes are pretty shocking at the end of the episode. I really liked gorilla's terrible confession part to as they've been building that one for a while, though I really could have done without the cat death at the end, way to heavy handed.

roll on ep21 and 22.

GBF try - fun and optimism, gone. Not a patch on the original and it been clear the writer/director haven't a clue how to write 3v3 battles without very stupid decisions made by everyone (like why go into the castle if the enemy are hiding in there, just level it), and so very little team work or technical skill with every fight ending in karate-kid throwing a fireball to win. The lack of the budget doesn't help either and all the fight endingd are as predictable as wrestling which makes it extra boring without some side plot (like BF origins, Reiji dimension traveling, the pilot cameos).

Comment

Just finished Steins Gate wowowowowowowowowowow.

Comment

About time!

Comment

I loved it- Blu Ray series promptly being purchased! I hear there's a movie too? I'll wait for the english dub though- the dub in this is fantastic- and I cant imagine hearing Okabe any other way.

The OVA was on Netflix too, and uncannily both the normal ending and the OVA both ended fantastically well. The whole thing was just so well written and acted- my missus was even chuckling to her self in the background at Okabe and Kurisu arguing - especially Okabe calling her a virgin constantly. The story got quite mushy at points, but I was genuinely happy to see those moments where I'd usually hate that stuff.

Preordered the Vita game too
                        Last edited by MrKirov; 09-03-2015, 12:38.

Comment

Great show, and best girl won! I just loved all the nicknames Okabe came up with. And you reminded me about the film, should be on disc by now as it was released in the Japanese theatres 2013, one to get.

Sadly the rest of the authors universe SG sits in doesn't quite live up to the SG (all have loose connections to each other, more for the fans of VN to spot), Chaos:Head is a terrible anime butchered from its VN form (not that its great via), and Robot:Notes is a acquired taste, uses Robot technology and Augmented reality in place timetravel with a similar innocent/naive start before "**** gets real" and real world consciences start to bite.

Comment

Shirobako ep22 - nice little fill in for background characters, Tarou being a true bro and more Zuka suffering, and only 2 episodes to go... I can only hope the Zuka troubles continue as it would mean a 2nd season, and I really hope see "Funny Story" get some comeuppance.

Comment

Have quite a nice little backlog going now. Finally moved onto Gundam, well it's not the proper Gundam one it's Gundam build fighters as i love the idea of plamo fighting really enjoying it so far but as i'm not a fan of the proper series i don't know the history or the characters. I do however recognise quite a few of the Gunpla loved it when some of the BB senshi ones appeared as i own the knight Gundam.

Assassination classroom continues to be great as well, it's equal parts funny & silly this weeks episode was especially good it has terminator vibes lol.

Onepiece arc is also entertaining me especially this weeks epsode. The standoff between Fujitora and Luffy & Zorro, i lost it when i heard Pica's voice and Luffys reaction to it. Comedy at the most unexpected times.

Log horizon i have taken a break from to build up episodes, when i get 10 in front i'll continue as i love to binge watch it.

Still going through gegege no Kitaro and laughing salesman as well as Bobobo, i don't think i have watched so much anime as i have recently. Still getting through space dandy as well, terrabytes and terrabytes of anime, will need another disk at some point lol.

Comment

The original GBF is a lot of fun and love letter to gundam, just so, so many cameo from suits from all the Gundam shows(even G-saviour) and it characters doing walk on's in background every episode (like Char and Lalah together). When you get to it the Rento bros vs Mijin fight is something else, as is all the fights the Italian guy is in.

the Sequel is a let down, and only 2 fun fights through out the entire show (and there is a fight every episode).. probably only worth watching it for the rival scrub team's Tryon3 gundam vs the "Heroes" in ep22, so much fun and Tryon3 is a crap load of originality missing from the show with tryon3 being homage a old school GaoGaiGar style super robots vs gundams "real" robots, in a show dominated by recoloured SEED and 00 units.
                                Last edited by Tobal; 17-03-2015, 00:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X