No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your better of deleting it, its a pretty terrible show.

Seasons coming to close, so my round up.

Gundam Build Fighters - Easily the best thing sunrise have done in decades, likable characters, relationships that grow, lacking in edgy/dark commentary and good to great animation for all gundam fights which happen every episode and made all the more special for all the loving fan service put in that even transcends gundam and put homages to Super Robot shows of the past mainly through battle poses (like the Gunbuster pose). My only problem was with a couple of fights in the last couple of episode (bar the final) did comedown to "powerlevels" instead of tactics and skill (after tactics and skilled failed) which was bit disappointing, but I can forgive it. 100% worth watching if you like mecha/gundam.

Kill la Kill - the wild ride finished much as expected, gloriously over the top.. certainly didn't have the same impact TTGL or Gunbuster, but it did it well enough.. was probably huge about of budget saving animation used through the show during most of the none fight scenes making it feel cheap and the final fight lacking any sense of danger once the final powerup happened. Definitely worth watching.

Buddy Complex - About as average as it gets but did have a pretty good ending for a 1 cruor run, the time travel stuff at the beginning is barely touched on and cuts it fast and loose with letting teenagers fly the latest death dealing mecha which sits happily with Aoba.. 2010 kid brought up in nice and safe japan is quite happy to try and save his crush(trying to kill him) but murders everything else sight with little understanding about why the side he fights for are the good guys... and the fights always boil down powering up the buddy mode and hoping to win the fight in 3 minutes.

Pilots Love Song - Started off well with Skies of Arcadia setting tied in with cadets training to become pilots, but then the main problem came down to the main couples "romance" (and the ****ty backstories) hogging the up all the scene time with little build up for the secondary cast when all the culling came later on, and then do reach the end... it was all for nothing, they died (along with a crap load of civvies and airforce) for nothing... and all that plot exposition dropped in the last episode should have been there from day one, if they revealed this was all for a geography lesson, no one would have started fighting. Then to cap that of with getting lot more people killed to get his woman back... fuuuuckkkk you Karl'E.

Golden Time - Really enjoyed it till the last 3/4 episodes when they realised they ran out of time and had to cram in lot of plot to finish the show off which felt like none of the plot bombs delivered during those episodes where allowed to sink in, just one bomb after another, made the characters look nuts and require those who had read the LN to explain. Bah, it was a really fun show up until then, and the ending was completely bonkers...

New Banri somewhat merged with Former Ghost, now alive old Banri to from Tada Banri EX which choose Loco Koko... while new Banri died and Ghost Banri got a possible copy of real Linda making a confession and disappearing to his own delusional dimension with her, meanwhile linda(2nd best girl behind Nana) gets stuck getting stalked by Tada's best mate, and hypersonic and 2d-kun end up alone.

Chuuni S2 - started with promise of developing the main relationship ship but the introduction of a childhood friend just meant all but 1 or 2 episodes the character development became chuuni act > jealously > anxiety > understanding, which got boring after a few episodes of it. They should have focused more Rika possibly loosing her delusions as she fell for MC more, instead of running to it every time she got flustered. Still worth a watch if you like Kyoani output, but its not a patch on season 1. I'm hoping they don't make Tomoko Market follow up's romance centred plot as slow as this.

Samurai Flamenco - expected the unexpected! I liked going into every episode wondering which genre in the big book of super heroes they would use next and then insert some of the craziest day time drama plot lines going (the Goro stuff was fantastic). And after they reached a logical climax with ep18 they still find places to go in the final 3 eps that kept me entertained.

Tokyo Ravens - Solid show through out, good animation and a decent plot with likable characters. Though it didn't waver in the middle when the MC just seemed to have so little improvement with his lame shaman abilities but it all came together in the final act for some interesting fights and pretty good ending.

Strike the Blood - like Tokyo Ravens, nothing spectacular but very entertaining balancing a fast paced story, with decent characters and fan service.. most of the fights where pretty lame after awhile as it came down to MC making stuff go boom with new power. ERI SENPAI.

Log Horizon - Very fun show which definitely got more of the fantasy "MMORPG" feel right than one man army found in Sword Arts Online. Liked there take on npc's/questing and Shiro playing the badguy for the greater good, looking forward to more database in sesaon2.

Nobunagun - Fun battle show which made the characters feel like there in danger all the time while fighting giant sea beasties. Had a really good ending to and a interesting take on Jack the Ripper, going miss all those crazy murder grins.

D-frag - bit of a surprise the comedy and slap stick stayed varied and funny through out the short run with the MC playing a pretty good straight man to the others fooling around mixed in around the absurd games they invent.

Silver Spoon s2 - delivered what it needed to do with Hachi growing as a character, improving his relationships and learning more of life's hard knocks. Great stuff.

Noragami - Decent gods/demons in modern japan show with mix of fight'n/drama and comedy, didn't really go anywhere with the short amount of episodes it ran for, so the state of affairs was pretty much as it was in the first episode but with a bit more understanding between the 3 MC's.

and 2 long running shows came to an end

Space Brothers (99eps) - Realistic Space show which featured more time on earth than space (compared to PlantES) which finished on a bit of downer(in the hopes we might get a continuation years form now), in a way to which the brothers can still realise their dreams after all the knock backs. It definitely had a way with playing with your emotions when the bad times happened, specially with the end of Hibito moon arc being one of my favourite scenes in anime ever.

Saint Seiya Omega (96eps) - came in 2 parts with new god kill in each part, the first story had all these new ideas like elemental charts for "tactical" fights and cloth stones which where quickly forgotten when the gold saints turn up and classic comso/friendship power takes over the way saint seiya should , part 2 generally turned into a fan service show for all the old surviving saints to take over the new bronzes fight when it got abit tough which eventually turned that way in every single fight to point where the new cast might as well have not been there at all and the final fight sucked ass compared everything that happened into part 1... but I watched it anyway.. Saint Seiya gets a automatic pass through my quality checker.

Just waiting on the last episode of Nagi no Asukara, and decent subs for Dandy and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      Been watching One Piece over the last week after I had a couple of months break after finishing the first season. Already hooked right back in, it really is great isn't it? Im currently on episode 75 so knowing that I have another 600 episodes ahead is extremely daunting but its currently up there with my favourite anime series
      Oh man that's going to be a crazy amount of episodes to try & get watched but totally worth it, as the years go on you do become attached to all of the characters. Robin & Nami's back storys are particularly horrific, it's so satisfying watching them develop & become stronger as the years go on. Hell even the filler episodes are not that bad at least they are fun to watch (unlike Naruto)

My only recomendation is try & find all the episodes now (assuming you are watching fansubs) as certain blocks of episodes are very hard to find as only certain sub groups did them making it likely most of the seeds are dead. However on the yibis fansub website there is batch torrent that has every episode all collected together upto about ep 600 that seed is still working but will take a while as it's over 100 gig.

Comment

Looking at the new season i barely know anything on there.. so my only certs are JoJo Part3, new Fairy Tail, Mushihi s2 and new monogatari.

And One Piece ch742... what a cliff hanger, next Wednesday can't come soon enough.

Comment

Nagi no Asukara - Good little drama/romance show about growing older and changing with some mystical mumbo jumbo thrown in, the main couple weren't the draw for me specially Manaka being to genki so the rest of the cast and their relationships saved it. Doesn't really didn't pick up till the doomsday vibes and timeskip hit just before half way and it gets a stratifying ending, only thing I could have asked for was another timeskip to she how they grew up.

New shows - watched about half.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - high school kid moves into boarding house with others so expect harem/romance/comedy, kinder a like sakurasou with only 2 highschoolers and the rest all adults. Seemed decent enough so i'll keep with it.

Blade and Soul - Queensblade meets ninja scroll with a revenge story and plenty of cannon fodder enemies and innocent bystanders getting cut up or stabbed in the throat, so, so many people get stabbed in the throat.

Baby Steps - tennis shounen with the MC this time being all about hard work and prep beating talent. I quite enjoyed it and I really don't like tennis.

Brynhildr in the Darkness - don't know where the show this is going based on the OP vs the contents of episode 1.. from what I can tell man made rebel witches save people destined to die, OP made it look like it'll go all fighty but didn't that happened and instead felt like a less gruesome Another.

Captain Earth - bones latest so expect the usual eureka7/heroman look, this time it looks like there take on Gunbuster. Giant mecha which has an awesome but totally unneeded and expensive launch sequence fights alien mecha in space. I like it.

Daimidaler - pervy giant robot fighting pervy giant penguin robots with reverse tails looking like dongs, so completely stupid. Bored me silly.

Fairy Tail continuation - I can't remember where they left off but they really didn't bother spending anything on the animation again, can only hope whatevers left over in the tournament is well animated, seems they might pad out the story with what happened in the 1st timeline where a lot people died... might be a good idea add some emotional impact to future lucy.

Haikyuu!! - high school volley ball club/tournaments, very good animation and centres on a short guy that can jump high and a lanky bloke who's too serious. seems alright, not my cup of tea though.

Jojo Part3 - same as always, over the top manly shouty action. great

Kamigami no Asobi - harem prince shoujo show in a gods school - no thanks.

La Corda d'Oro Blue Sky - harem prince shoujo show in a music club - no thanks.

Kindaichi Case Files R - detective show with art like it came from Ippo, does a lot of stupid coincidences to get characters to the places the plot needs them to be, Detective Conan it ain't.

Mahouka - similar to last seasons magical warfare but with a budget and no secret magic world. Magic is a known science(if that magics sense, kind of like Nanoha), world is divided up into power blocks after world war 3 and japan is training it own next gen magic army... focus on the MC who I think can't cast magic but can read/pre-empt its use so i'm hoping for some tactic-cool fighting.

Mushishi s2 - such a damn good show, up their with Aria for peaceful story telling. Opens with another english song like before. Expect more tails of "ghosts" and humans.

Majin Bone - Super hero suit fighting, has a strange art style for the characters in 2d, uses the CGI stuff for the powered suit combat like tiger'n'bunny. Pretty average.

Seikoku no Dragonar - fantasy land with high school for dragon rider fighters, art looks terrible for the dragons but the MC made me laugh a few times when he would fly of the handle at the littlest of piss taking.

One Week Friends - really liked this one, boy has falls for this girl who keeps to herself. He forces his way into her life and finds out she for reasons not explained, forgets her new memories every Monday. So he decides he'll become her new friend every week. Art was pretty damn cute.

selector infected WIXOSS - terrible card battle game stuff, no thanks.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii - seems like adventure/comedy but has a darker toned underneath. not sure if it'll go full economics/civ5 once the magic rain girl meets the sun king.

Comment

Just finished watching both seasons of Code Geass and it really lived up to its reputation as one of the better shows in the last 10-15 years. Like many great shows (from either animation, live action or otherwise) the stakes continued to rise through both seasons as Lelouch, Suzaku and co. both experience success, failure, love, loss and many other emotions that make the characters involved in the show three-dimensional and deep.

The ending where

Lelouch essentially plans his assassination with Suzaku after rejecting his father/mother's attempts to 'reformat' the world through Ragnarok was expertly executed. To take all he had built up to that point, turn all his former comrades against him so he would appear as a hate figure, then allow himself to be killed by Zero and in the process force the major groups and nations of the world to come together to fight, was a grand move on his part. Although it was sad to see him go he realised it was required to create the future he wanted to create for Nunally, hence his murder. And yet, perhaps that is the greatest sacrifice of all. Giving your own life up for the benefit of everyone else's future. A good move by the show's creators to leave the audience to decide whether he was a hero, villain or perhaps both.

In any case I think Lelouch rivals Light Yagami for smartest protagonist/potential villain in the making of anime. If anyone comes close, let me know.

Comment

Loved R1, but R2 went alittle to crazy with the geass abilities stuff (specially his fathers plans) and the tactics and advanced plans went out the window for Super Robots and Nukes, plus some characters had unneeded deaths for the plot to advance and felt like emotional plays.. which to fair at least

Shirley's

worked. I like to think the

cart driver is Lelouch after taking on C.C Geass meaning he can't die, I understand he wanted to repay sins he committed which got the likes of the Princess and Shirley killed but if there was a way out he would take it, but still Lelouch's death at the end and Karen realizing what's to happen really made it a great ending

. and Orange-kun in both seasons is great

There are 2 OVA's (atm) about set between R1 and R2 following the European union vs Great Britannia which are worth watching, doesn't really have the tactical forward thinking of R1 as Lelouch is not in it till OVA 3 (from the preview).

I think the only character like him recently was L from Valvrave, by the same people as Code Geass and Guilty Crown. Everything else I can think of comes battle shows like Shikamaru from Naruto or any of the Jojo's.

Comment

Just discovered Hero bank has released & it's been fansubbed, watched the first episode & loved it. It's been done just like youkai watch where it's been made with the game in mind so they compliment each other perfectly.

Love decent games that get equally decent anime released on them.

Comment

Tried watching Hero Bank but it's just to much of vehicle to sell the product, terrible art/hair/characters/story and fights. Dumped it along with the other game/card kids battleshows this season Dragon Collection and Oreca Battle.

Knight of Sidonia -uses a more advanced form of full CGI animation used in FREEDOM, this time with a lot of work put into the face and hair so it actually looks pretty good. Future humans in a massive space station with all sorts of classic sci-fi clich?s, fight off giant alien monsters in mecha.. so pretty much Eva meets Battlestar Galactica. I liked what saw, and want more.

Soul Eater Not - never knew about soul eater having a SoL spin-off and here it is animated. The original cast are older and years above them at school, so there's plenty of fan service. Seemed alright, no idea if they'll go all serious battle show or keep the fighting to comedy laughs and have it mostly be about the SoL adventures of 3 girls.

Akuma no Riddle - school class full of assassins, first episode didn't make it clear what was suppose to be going on but it seems the powers that be want a certain girl dead and the MC looks likely to play the protection roll.

Black Bullet - last of humanity holed up in a city fighting off monsters using super strong little girls and their handlers who also have black bullets which can hurt the monsters. Nothing great about it, art was alright and i'm certain the emotional plot ploy will be the girls getting treated like disposable weapons to those in charge like Gunslinger Girls.

Mekaku City Actors - another original nonsense story from SHAFT, so expect the head tilts, random banter and lots of still shots of backgrounds. No idea what's going on, got bored with 20 mins of NEET behaviour so wasn't attached to the characters when something happened.. will give it 2nd episode to see where it goes if it decides to throw in timetravel.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin - adventure treasure hunting+murder who dunnit with a ghost on artificial island made by 7 students, MC seems pretty likeable, the story interesting and art is pretty decent to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post

Baby Steps - tennis shounen with the MC this time being all about hard work and prep beating talent. I quite enjoyed it and I really don't like tennis.

This is why I was recommending the manga as well. Might be worth a look then if you're enjoying the anime. I haven't seen the adaptation so not sure how close it goes but the manga has been good so far.

Comment

Just watched captain earth I really enjoyed will have to keep it up

Comment

Finally started on the second season of mushishi just as mesmarizing as the last season, love it.

Comment

Watched the 3 Rebuild of Evangelion films available back to back last weekend. 1.0 is a straightforward retread of the first 6 episodes of the original TV series, 2.0 is still the best film of the three so far by balancing old and new effectively with awesome action, and 3.0 still fails to explain much of anything to the audience unless a character is directly exposing some of the franchise's biggest secrets to date (a sort of the force is the controlling of midochlorians from Star Wars sort of lazy explanation method).

Worth watching to be up-to-date for when the last one inevitably gets released next year (I expect) but
                          Hideaki Anno needs to learn that frustrating and aggravating your audience on purpose isn't cool man.
                          Evangelion Final better be something pretty fantastic or I don't care what reimaginings of Evanglelon are done after that tbh.

Also rewatched Ruin Explorers: Fam and Ihrie this weekend. Straightforward and pleasant OVA from the 90s, shame there wasn't more of it as it appeared to be channeling the likes of Fire Emblem with the characters which is never a bad thing.

Revisiting shows/OVAs from the 90s recently and thoroughly enjoying it. I'd recommend it to any lover of decent anime.
                          Last edited by Paddy; 05-05-2014, 16:21.

Comment

Eva 3.0 is terrible, I really hope 4.0 pulls it out the bag, or at least explain what happened to the surviving cast between 2.0 and 3.0 for them to act like idiots.

I think I like the mid 90's to early 00's myself from what little I remember watching, mainly Hyper Police, Those who Hunt Elves, Burn up, Lodess War, outlaw star (etc, etc)

as for the present shows the stuff i'm enjoy most is

top tier---
                            Jojo part3
                            Mushishi s2
                            Ping Pong
                            No Game, No Life
                            Soul Eater Not
                            Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin

Mid tier---
                            Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, definitely grown on me with all the politics thrown in.
                            Baby Steps
                            Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
                            Mahouka
                            One week friends

Mecha tier which all have some sort of eva like monster attacking last of humanity
                            Knights of Sidonia - ep4... wow, the "management" really don't mind killing of a **** of people for greater good, the whole gravity scene was fantastic
                            M3
                            Captain Planet

Terrible but can't stop watching tier ---
                            Akuma no Riddle - this so class group of assassins are all really bad at being assassins, it really amuses me.
                            Blade and Soul - don't really care for any of the characters as there all terrible (which is what you get for made up MMO Korean grinder), but the numerous and comical deaths for secondary characters every episode keeps me coming back.

everything else dropped.
                            Last edited by Tobal; 05-05-2014, 18:08.

Comment

I slogged through the original Evangelion shows/films whatever and was impressed they managed to make a show about giant fighting robots into a boring, whiny moan-fest where only the girl in red actually kicked any arse.

Should I bother with the remake or is it more of the same angst-ridden, confusing plod?

Comment

More of the same, but condensed with better action scenes for 1.0, 2.0 starts the divergence from TV/OVA/films from before with more action and less moaning which is why its the best eva film, 3.0 slips back into the worst eva gets, with mind bogglingly stupid decisions + lots of whining with some good actions scene at the start and info dumps out the ass towards the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X