No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent newer stuff I've gotten in to set in japan(most should be under 100chapter and or finished).

Koe no Katachi - about the bullying of a death girl with redemption/forgiveness becoming themes as the story goes on.

All-rounder Meguru - no aims in life high schooler gets involved MMA and the MMA circuit in japan, pretty technical on the bouts.

Teppu - another MMA but centres on girl who would be the villain in most other stories, seems to like crusting the spirit of others.

Ocha Nigosu (on a suggestion a few pages back) - "thug" joins a tea club to reform himself

Molester Man - none-professional manga done by some person on 2ch, pretty decent art for it, college student is mistaken for a molester and get him involved in the lives of group of women, relationships go somewhere.

Onani Master Kurosawa - another none-professional manga, dark/edgy kid does revenge "pranks" on his high school peers, another one where relationships go somewhere and a lot of comeuppance.

PunPun - super dark story about the lives of some down trodden kids, becoming teens/adults.

One Punchman / ONE - 2 versions of this fantastic take on superheroes defending japan, ONE is the story board original, terrible art but the expressions on the faces are great, and then One Punchman is redrawn ONE by Murata, the bloke probably most famous for eyeshield 21.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      I'm watching Durarara atm. Very enjoyable.
      I hope you're watching the Anco^2 version with my dubious OP/ED tls. Can't remember if I did timing on that one as well.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated!

Comment

For a while now, I've considered buying the Cowboy Bebop 2-part Blu-Ray set, as Bebop is my favourite anime by some margin.

Currently I have it on DVD, but the DVD transfer isn't great. That being said, I'm not sure if it's the actual transfer, or perhaps just the original footage is like that. Being from the late 90s, it has a gritty, faded quality with muted colours that works in its favour.

I have the Blu-Ray of Highlander (the "Immortal Edition") and that uses digital noise reduction extensively to remaster the film. The result isn't bad in the light scenes, but in the darker parts of the film it's really grainy (as it was filmed with that grainy look that was all the rage in the 80s). I'm worried Bebop will have the same problem.

That being said, half of the appeal with Bebop is the music, and I imagine the quality of that could be really good on Blu-Ray.

Has anyone watched them? What are they like? Are they worth the upgrade?

Comment

Onani Master Kurosawa is quite brilliant.

Comment

Ghost in the shell.
              Attack on Titan.

Comment

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann > all

Comment

double post.
                  Last edited by Tobal; 29-06-2014, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Has anyone watched them? What are they like? Are they worth the upgrade?
                    try http://animeblurayuk.wordpress.com/2...vd-or-blu-ray/

I think the only reason for me to replace my Bebop dvd's are because they're R1, which cost me a lot to import back in the day... I would imagine if its been as lovingly done as the Akira BR disc there would be noticeable improvement in the colour and audio.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Onani Master Kurosawa is quite brilliant.
                    indeed it is, and when I was reading I never expected the 3rd act to go down like,

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann > all
                    Gunbuster(1/2) > Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann > all

Comment

Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann was one of the most legitimately hype robot shows I ever saw. The theme of rising ever upwards into the heavens was portrayed perfectly in that show. I'd be hard pressed to put any of show up against it, expect perhaps the OVA series Giant Robo. They're at least as good as each other, if not amazing in their own ways.

Got hold of some episodes of Kakumeiki Valvrave recently so will get some of those watched soon. Like the designs by Katusra Hoshino but from what I've seen it seems to mimic Gundam to heavily and I wish Sunrise would have the balls to make it feel different to its main giant robot cash generator. Need to watch more Psycho Pass also as the concept seems very interesting and the show is fairly adult in tone/characters.

Comment

Oh, I finished Psycho Pass just last week actually. Really enjoyed it, would seriously recommend you watch more!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                          Got hold of some episodes of Kakumeiki Valvrave recently so will get some of those watched soon.
                          <snip>
                          Need to watch more Psycho Pass also as the concept seems very interesting and the show is fairly adult in tone/characters.
                          Valvrave is one of those series that feel like a trainwreck developing 30 minutes a week. Psycho Pass is one of those series you wouldn't give too much credit and it's great instead.

it seems to mimic Gundam to heavily and I wish Sunrise would have the balls to make it feel different to its main giant robot cash generator.
                          As a long time Gundam fan, I feel the opposite: I'd like that Bandai would stop making Gundam like its other not-quite-super-robot-because-science series (also known as whooo-coloured-beams-fired-by-wholesale-supersoldier-by-chance). I long for the day that Gundam will return to its realistic roots, hopefully The Origin will be handled exactly like in the manga.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            hopefully The Origin will be handled exactly like in the manga.
                            Really looking forward to that. I've got the first volume of the manga and it's a superb retelling.

Comment

Valvrave is a mess, I enjoyed it despite that mainly down to them not being afraid to kill anyone and everyone off. As for Psycho Pass I think the director cut starts next season(which is july), 11 one hour episodes with new footage, followed then by season 2 due end of the year, and film next year. Definitely worth watching.

As for animated Gundam Origin your going to be in for disappointment to start with, part 1(of 4 OVA's) will be about kid/teen Char pre OYW.

New season to start very soon, and the world cup put me well behind on the shows finishing this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                                As for animated Gundam Origin your going to be in for disappointment to start with, part 1(of 4 OVA's) will be about kid/teen Char pre OYW.
                                Which is essentially what the manga does, and 0079 skipped, only to be elaborated in the background and/or in spinoffs. Casval's youth also helps to describe the situation before the One Year War, something that again was left almost untold.

Comment

Working...
                                X