No announcement yet.

Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Timeless. One of the best series I've ever seen. Binged the last 6 episodes in one go.

Had a craving for more time travel shenanigans so gave DC Legends of Tomorrow a go. What utter tosh. Absolutely awful, magnified by the excellence that was Timeless. Basically a similar premise: a team goes back to various time periods to thwart a bad guy. But the entire thing suffers terribly from a recent trend in American film and TV: it's painfully contrived, disingenuous, and more forced than a cheap Vaudevillian stage play. It coughs up more phlegmy cliches than a Victorian era consumption patient. Everyone so angsty all the time, everyone is posing for the camera at key moments, like when the bird people start their fight, or when everyone is escaping on to the ship. It's like a child directed this, screaming: "MORE POSING!" I suppose if you like these ****ty comics then this will really stroke your goat, but I found it loathsome in the extreme. Also the opening, showing the antagonist. They show him doing bad things, cool. We know he's the bad guy. But then, as if the audience is expected to be stupid, they show him doing more bad things, and then posing, and then cracking a one-liner. I'm surprised there wasn't a big arrow on screen pointing at him saying: "JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, BAD GUY RIGHT HERE." The villain in Timeless was actually somewhat morally ambiguous, doing bad things but for a good reason. In Legends though it's just trite, with a stereotypical one-dimensional baddy.

Timeless felt natural, just three regular people put in an outlandish situation. It felt serious and believable, despite the premise of time travel. I realise Legends of Tomorrow is based on comic books, but jeez, this is why I've always hated DC comics compared to something like 2000AD. It's just silly. And yet the show is not aimed at kids, because there is a blatantly overt sex scene which would not make it before the watershed. So it's like a kids cereal with a shot of bourbon for adults who have nostalgia for Froot Loops.

I forced myself through the first episode but can't stomach any more. Bleurgh.

I can't believed I typed all this. I needed to vent. This show, and the first episode alone, is one of the worst things I've seen on TV. And they renewed it for a 4th season! Yet timeless? Struggled to make it to 2 seasons before cancellation.

Comment

[MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION], well, did you like it or not?
      Get off the fence, man!

(Did they blow any tramps up?)

Comment

It never made sense to me that Timeless was on the network it was. Given how long its creators have kept Supernatural going you'd have thought a small network would continue to be of benefit to them, the big ones always ditch genre shows like Timeless.

Took them long enough but Netflix has done right and renewed “GLOW,” its 1980s-set dramedy series about the making of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, for a third season. Considered one of the best original shows on the streaming platform according to critics, the show released its second season last month but the streaming service […]

Netflix has relented and shown sense though, Glow has been renewed for Season 3

Comment

After some long speculation, a sequel to Netflix's Death Note live-action movie has been [...]

Netflix has greenlit Death Note II

Comment

Started two new series this weekend - Zoo and Blue Mountain State. They’re both great and we’ve seen five episodes of each already.

Zoo is about animals suddenly deciding to take over the world, killing humans.

Blue Mountain State is American university shenanigans and is ruddy hilarious.

Comment

While Netflix has changed up the TV landscape forever, its impact on the film scene has been far more underwhelming. To date they’ve had one legitimate blockbuster (“Bright”) which scored muted reviews, three prestige films of note (“Annihilation,” “Mudbound,” “Beasts of No Nation”), and a handful of very solid genre efforts (“Okja,” “Gerald’s Game,” “Hush”). […]

Netflix is set to bolster its film division by refocusing on self-made blockbusters and prestige level movies, cutting back on the dirge of low to middle end filler and scraps they've been shoving out over the last two or three years that has led to them having such a poor image when it comes to movies.

Comment

Netflix has announced an October 12th premiere date and released the first photos from “The Haunting of Hill House,” its upcoming ten-episode event series adaptation of one of the most famed pieces of gothic fiction ever created – Shirley Jackson’s 1959 novel of the same name. Previously adapted as movies titled “The Haunting” including Robert […]

Netflix have announced a 12 October 2018 release date for its event series The House on Haunted Hill

Comment

“The Simpsons” and “Futurama” creator Matt Groening’s new animated series “Disenchantment” has done strong numbers in its launch on Netflix just over a week ago. Nielsen’s SVOD Content Ratings tool, which captures only U.S. viewing, says the first episode drew an average minute audience of 4.4 million, with 60% of them male and 73% of […]

Disenchantment has performed strongly for Netflix meaning a renewal is likely

Comment

Me and my dad tried to watch The Rain. After about 20 minutes we had to shut it down. Utterly unwatchable garbage. 0 out of 10.

I have a very simple rule: if the writer needs children behaving stupidly and irritatingly to generate tension and move the story forward, they are a **** writer and I refuse to watch this junk. It's cheap, lazy writing. It's also infuriating. Dose the little blighters up with laudanum if they can't sit still and behave, instead of jeopardizing the lives of everyone. Also that one kid is a moron who literally could not tell the difference between a VACUUM CLEANER and a WALKIE-TALKIE. Honestly, FFS!

Immediately after this we switched to Colony, watching the first few 8 episodes. Lots of young characters, ranging from a five year old diabetic, to a pre-teen, to a full on teenager. But the writing is intelligent. The small kids are quiet and well behaved and provide no direct agency to the story other than their presence and their parents love for them. The teenager has agency, but is actually pretty smart and - though he catches the ire of the antagonists - doesn't actually put anyone in serious danger.

Most importantly, it's a gripping thriller and I have yet to be irritated by anyone.

Comment

Ozark season 2 yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                        Finished Timeless. One of the best series I've ever seen. Binged the last 6 episodes in one go.
                        You should then watch the Spanish series El Ministerio Del Tiempo, of which Timeless plagiarised. It's also on Netflix and far better than the American version and has 3 seasons.

Comment

It’s official. “Man of Steel” and “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” actor Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt of Rivia in Netflix’s upcoming TV series adaptation of Andrzej Sapkowski’s best-selling fantasy novel series “The Witcher”. Geralt is a solitary monster hunter, struggling to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked […]

DCU and Mission Impossible: Fallout actor Henry Cavill has been cast as Geralt in Netflix's series adaptation of The Witcher. The show is expected to arrive sometime in 2020 and fans have already mocked this image of Cavil as Geralt:

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            fans have already mocked this image of Cavil as Geralt:
                            "He looks like a buffoon!"
                            "Chainmail shoulderpads are so last year!"

You mean mocked up?

Comment

Probably both meanings in some circles

Comment

Magic for humans. The guy is a little off at times (creepy?) but I guess you have to be to want to be good at deceiving people. But the magic is very good

Comment

Working...
                                X