Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTE54: Cinema 2015 - The Year of Boom or Bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTE54: Cinema 2015 - The Year of Boom or Bust?

For a while now film projects have been building up and up for 2015, like a perfect storm of big ventures and big name sequels. It's probably one of the most heavy weight years in cinema there's been when it eventually rocks around and as with every year some will fail.

The films above will likely move about but as it stands which proposed films interest you? Do you think it will be the greatest cinema run there's been or the year when Hollywood pushes audiences too far and collateral damage is everywhere?
    The Fantastic Four
    0%
    The Penguins of Madagascar
    0%
    Cinderella
    0%
    The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
    0%
    Assassin's Creed
    0%
    BOO: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations
    0%
    The Naked Gun
    0%
    Inside Out
    0%
    Terminator 5
    0%
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    0%
    The Smurfs 3
    0%
    Hotel Transylvania 2
    0%
    Ant Man
    0%
    007: James Bond 24
    0%
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part Two
    0%
    The Good Dinosaur
    0%
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 4
    0%
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    0%
    The Conjuring 2
    0%
    Planes 3
    0%
    Jurassic Park IV: Jurassic World
    0%
    Star Wars: Episode VII
    0%
    Ratchet and Clank
    0%
    Mission Impossible V
    0%
    Snow White and the Huntsman 2
    0%
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: The Green Destiny
    0%
    Man of Steel 2: Batman vs Superman
    0%
    Crimson Peak
    0%
    Warcraft
    0%
    The Adventures of Tintin: Red Rackmans Treasure
    0%
    Popeye
    0%
    The Bourne 5
    0%
    Rocky VII: Creed
    0%
    Ted 2
    0%
    Friday the 13th Part 2
    0%
    Sausage Party
    0%
    San Andreas
    0%
    London Has Fallen
    0%
    X Men: X Force
    0%
    Highlander
    0%
    The Expendabelles
    0%
    Saw VIII
    0%
    The Secret Service
    0%
    Breakdown
    0%
    Insidious: Chapter 3
    0%
    Beetlejuice 2
    0%

For me 2015 is simply immense, so many I want to see but I don't see anyway that there isn't going to be some high profile victims. Too many big releases over too small a timeframe

Comment

Well, not man votes but Jurassic Park 4 is winning

Comment

I'm starting to get a little fatigued with bombastic superhero movies and sci-fi reboots personally. I'm not saying they're bad movies, far from it, I have The Dark Knight trilogy in iTunes HD, X-Men: First Class was fantastic and I even liked Prometheus and the new Spider-Man but in the next few years we're getting more Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman, Superman, Spider-man, X-Men, Avengers, Alien, Terminator, Bourne... Even just from Marvel we are, or at least I'm sure will see, more from franchises like Fantastic Four, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and slightly more obscure ones like Ant Man, The Flash and Guardians of the Galaxy...

I just feel like all the reasons I loved cinema (and I've seen/rated thousands of movies on IMDB, pretty much everything from Yasujiru Ozu and Buster Keating to Sofia Coppola and Spike Jonze) is being smothered by safe bets for the box office. Things like Looper and Gravity have been standout films of the past few years but even against things from as recent as the 2000s they're not all that great. Even Pixar films are starting to feel forced...

Disillusioned is the word.

Comment

It is starting to feel like things are ramping up to a point where superhero films will be a monthly deal, the volume of them planned is huge

Comment

Everyone loves Superhero films. Not everyone likes pretentious sci fi full of plot holes like looper.

Comment

Urgh. Looper drove me bonkers with its complete side-stepping of logic. My full rant is here.

However, it did lead me to the film "Primer", the book "By His Bootstraps" and this amusing website demolishing Looper.

Comment

I don't love superhero films. Actually I find them kind of boring. The cinema being constantly dominated by them doesn't help. Looper was also an awful film though.

Looking at that list is pretty disheartening. It's 90% reboots and sequels. Stuff like Snow White & The Huntsman 2, Expendabelles, a Highlander remake/reboot, and yet another Rocky film just make me think Zzzzzzzz.

I think that the vast majority of films that come out are really bad though - videogames seem to have a much better ratio of quality to dross (and that's saying something). Also sequels and remakes are frequently a good thing for videogames, whereas they very rarely are for films. When has a remake ever been better than the original? Never. And we're seeing more of them than ever before.
                Last edited by wakka; 16-12-2013, 13:20.

Comment

Just to be clear my point was Looper and Gravity are heralded as standout modern sci-fi films but neither is as good as counterparts from the previous decade or at all any good outside of a "best of 2012/13 list".

I didn't think Looper was a bad movie though, nor do I personally think plot holes ruin a movie. In reality any microwave emitter capable or vaporising water to disperse a toxin would also kill any human beings around before they got to breath the toxin but that doesn't ruin Batman Begins? The fact you can't suffocate from being painted gold doesn't ruin Goldfinger? As a studying cardiologist/actual Dr. in Paediatric A&E I'm quite certain in my mind Tony Stark should be dead in a cave but I still enjoy Iron Man/The Avengers.

Comment

Looper isn't bad because it's unrealistic. It's bad because it's a poorly crafted film.

I don't think you need to be a junior doctor to know that Iron Man is not a documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I don't think you need to be a junior doctor to know that Iron Man is not a documentary.
                      And yet we're holding a time travel movie to account?

Comment

Agreed, looper wasnt **** because it had glaring time travelling non sensical shiznit, it was jut **** because of the acting, plot and pacing to name 3.

Comment

My problem with Looper was that, although reasonably interesting to watch, if you stopped to think about anything that was going on, it made no sense. It's like the crime syndicate was run by Harry and Marv from Home Alone.

Even Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure handled the oddities of time travel with the greatest of ease.

Comment

Working...
                          X