Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kit View Post
    Returns better than Man of Steel?????
    You heard me. Yes, Lois was poorly cast in Returns but that annoyed me less than Superman levelling a city and not caring about rescuing anyone beyond one solitary solider (seems he's a military man). And the bottom line is that Returns just meant more to me. I cared about the people in that movie and Man of Steel just ended up with a ****load of destruction I didn't care about (just like Superman himself, I guess).

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      You heard me. Yes, Lois was poorly cast in Returns but that annoyed me less than Superman levelling a city and not caring about rescuing anyone beyond one solitary solider (seems he's a military man). And the bottom line is that Returns just meant more to me. I cared about the people in that movie and Man of Steel just ended up with a ****load of destruction I didn't care about (just like Superman himself, I guess).
      I said similar close to the release of man of steel...

In returns the aircraft scene was great and memorable(i still think MOS is lacking in stand out moments beyond the bit where he is underneath the world engine), it had a sense of humor, it had heart, and it had the original score which i think i missed in man of steel...though the cold tone of the film wouldn't have suited it anyways.

MOS for me was an attempt to make superman cool, and darken the tone somewhat...i wouldnt say it failed in this, but it lost a few things in the process.

Also agree about lois being miscast.
      Last edited by PaTaito; 17-12-2013, 17:49.

Comment

If I see his name attached to a movie I always want to see it but I end up being elated or just plain let down

Drive - everything is just fantastic

The place beyond the pines - motorbikes, bank robbery and bent cops what else do you want, well a decent story and not something that splits halfway through the middle

Only god forgives - still confused by it, it's pretty and violent but I just don't get it, the constant karaoke just annoyed me

Comment

Goes to show from this thread that it hasn't been a particularly good year for film, nothing is jumping out at all. In fact the same films are cropping up multiple times, but for some in the Best of and for others the Worst of!

Comment

Been some good indie films.

Comment

Can't believe all you tossers dissing Pacific Rim.

Best
              1. Pacific Rim
              2. Les Miserables
              3. Man of Steel

Ive only been to the flicks three times so no worst. I hope Smaug sneaks into the top 3 when I see it.

Anticipated:
              1. Godzilla
              2. The Raid 2
              3. The final Hobbit film.

Comment

Superman did care about what had happened, he didn't want a single more human death at the hands someone from his own planet which is why he ultimately had to kill Zod, despite it breaking his heart. Also despite the fact that many people have complained becuase he killed someone and it was so " not. Like superman" that one action ultimately showed the audience that superman's biggest defining trait is still well intact in this new version... He's still more human than alien.

I generally thought the changes they made from traditional superman stories were good ones... Lois knows who Clark is, so now 90% of the next movie won't be filled with Clark pining for her like a stupid little bitch.

Comment

You seemed to miss that millions of innocents would have died in that destruction, as I imagine the film makers also did which rendered any point they were making idiotic. It descended into stupid man beating the crap out of some other stupid man for an hour or so.

Still, better than Pacific Rim, eh?

Comment

You seemed to miss that millions of innocents would have died in that destruction, as I imagine the film makers also did which rendered any point they were making idiotic. It descended into stupid man beating the crap out of some other stupid man for an hour or so.

Still, better than Pacific Rim, eh?
                    You seem to have missed all the thousands of comic book stories where superman's fights destoryed half of metropolis.

And yes its it's a much better film than Pacifc Rim, which was terrible. That film was just robots smashing monsters about for 2 hour, only unlike man of steel it wasn't even well made and contained no excitement becuase you didn't care about the people in it. Plus the fights didn't even look good, it was just close ups of monster heads making noises as giant fists hit them.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 17-12-2013, 20:20.

Comment

I'd rather see superman **** **** up and knock down buildings than have a slap fest in the street against 3 ice dancers.

Comment

Ha ha :-)

My overriding relegation of MoS below Pacific Rim was in the one-on-one action choreography stakes. Despite their massive nature, the robot/kaiju battles were far better to watch than the chaotic, blurry, shaki-cam, poorly-framed sequences at the end of MoS. In that film the brawling felt annoying to watch, whereas in PR I could tell exactly what was happening and to whom. It was old Skool in style, whereas Superman was seemingly choreographed by an ADHD child.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          Plus the fights didn't even look good, it was just close ups of monster heads making noises as giant fists hit them.
                          Quoted for stupidity and wrongness. You could see what was happening. Superman was packed with ****ty MTV overly-stylised dirge, where the camera seems unable to cope with the action.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Ha ha :-)

My overriding relegation of MoS below Pacific Rim was in the one-on-one action choreography stakes. Despite their massive nature, the robot/kaiju battles were far better to watch than the chaotic, blurry, shaki-cam, poorly-framed sequences at the end of MoS. In that film the brawling felt annoying to watch, whereas in PR I could tell exactly what was happening and to whom. It was old Skool in style, whereas Superman was seemingly choreographed by an ADHD child.
                            Pacific rim was badly made it, it was just loads of close ups, the action had no choreography what so ever. It's badly made garbage.

Comment

Neither of the two films deserve to be anywhere near a top 3 list.

Comment

And no you couldn't see what was happening because every fight in pacific rim was not only poorly shot really close up, but also in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                                X