Critics Club 28: Mann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club 28: Mann

Michael Mann is the next director we look towards, another director with a fairly light CV for directorial movie projects but he's managed to build a fan base for his work. Which is his best film though?
    Thief
    0%
    The Keep
    0%
    Manhunter
    0%
    The Last of the Mohicans
    0%
    Heat
    0%
    The Insider
    0%
    Ali
    0%
    Collateral
    0%
    Miami Vice
    0%
    Public Enemies
    0%

Nice, The Keep for me underrated euro horror

Comment

Gonna say it, even though it'll probably call down the thunder and fury, but I think Heat is overrated.

The whole Pacino/DeNiro thing is great, and both have good performances and are a pleasure to watch, but I've always felt the rest of the film around them is flat.

Comment

The Keep is mental I've not seen it for nearly 20 years. Wish it'd get some kind of release on blu-ray.

Comment

I have a dodgy VCD copy of The Keep, it is truly awesome but the effects would probably look like crap in HD. I vote it best for the soundtrack, which had nothing to do with the director...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Gonna say it, even though it'll probably call down the thunder and fury, but I think Heat is overrated.

The whole Pacino/DeNiro thing is great, and both have good performances and are a pleasure to watch, but I've always felt the rest of the film around them is flat.
            Fair enough each to his own I guess ..

I still think its excellent, my only real beef with it being its an exact rip off of La Takedown.

Collateral is probably the other contender, but for me Heat is a classic film, if you ignore the rip off.

Comment

I didnt know you couldnt get The Keep on DVD or Bluray, ive only got a crappy rip, now lusting after the LD version.

Comment

Heat was good but Mohicans is a film I just love.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                  Fair enough each to his own I guess ..

I still think its excellent, my only real beef with it being its an exact rip off of La Takedown.

Collateral is probably the other contender, but for me Heat is a classic film, if you ignore the rip off.
                  Michael Mann did make LA Takedown so was free to remake it. Any reason it isn't on the poll list?

Comment

It ended up being left off as I've restricted the polls to just cinematic directorial stuff, LA Takedown was a tv movie so didn't qualify. It's interesting seeing how much tv work all these directors have been involved in

Comment

Voted HEAT, too many great things about that film including the best shootout ever in a movie...but The Insider was brilliant too.

Comment

Heads up; The Keep is on Film 4 tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Heads up; The Keep is on Film 4 tomorrow night.
                          Nice one.

If they have a decent transfer of it why cant they release it on retail?!

Comment

The Keep is a truly nutty film. I watched it on Laserdisc rip a couple of years back.

Comment

I voted for 'The Keep', which is a film I've really liked since seeing it on TV as a little kid. It used to be on TV quite a lot in the late-80s and 90s. There's something strangely hypnotic about it that appeals to me.

I watched 'Thief' last week and really enjoyed it. It's quite a gritty film in some ways, but also very slick. It really stands the test of time.

I haven't watched 'Manhunter' for a long time, but I remember thinking it was good years ago.

The Last of the Mohicans is a really good film, although I've only watched it once.

I know that lots of people love Heat, but I remember watching it and thinking it was good, but I haven't watched it since.

I've watched Collateral a few times and really rate it highly as a great piece of entertainment.

Public Enemies is a decent film that I enjoyed quite a lot. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did.

When I watched Miami Vice, I came away thinking it was rubbish. I haven't given it another watch. I've got the huge box set of the original tv series, though, and think it's great.

Comment

Working...
                              X