Critics Club 33: Woo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club 33: Woo

This one will tests peoples movie knowledge as they'll have to be familiar with his pre-hollywood days to judge the whole list.

John Woo

Epics and Action officiado. But which of his films is the very best work he's done?
    The Young Dragons
    0%
    Nu zi tai quan qun ying hui
    0%
    Dinu hua
    0%
    Shao lin men
    0%
    Fa qian han
    0%
    Da sha xing yu xiao mei tou
    0%
    Ha luo, ye gui ren
    0%
    Last Hurrah for Chivalry
    0%
    Qian zuo guai
    0%
    Mo deng tian shi
    0%
    Hau ji shi dai
    0%
    Bai cai Lin Ya Zhen
    0%
    Xiao jiang
    0%
    Liang zhi lao hu
    0%
    A Better Tomorrow
    0%
    Ying xiong wu lei
    0%
    A Better Tomorrow 2
    0%
    The Killer
    0%
    Just Heroes
    0%
    Bullet in the Head
    0%
    Once a Thief
    0%
    Hard Boiled
    0%
    Hard Target
    0%
    Broken Arrow
    0%
    Face/Off
    0%
    Mission: Impossible 2
    0%
    Windtalkers
    0%
    Paycheck
    0%
    Red Cliff
    0%
    Red Cliff 2
    0%

Supposedly he's done a load of iffy Taiwanese cheapies too. I read on one obscure kungfu site that someone questioned him on a little-known early effort, and Woo practically inferred that he was embarrassed by it and just pretended that it never existed.

Comment

Either hard boiled or one of the better tomorrow films for me. I'll think about it before I vote.
      Haven't seen a lot of his films before these ones, most after though

Comment

The Killer for me, despite the homoeroticism. After that, probably Hard Boiled.

Comment

Would vote for Red Cliff if it was 1 movie (I have the boxset). It's surprisingly good.

Comment

Shao Lin Men (AKA The Hand of Death) is pretty good and features Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yeun Biao onscreen together for the first time.

I'm not a massive fan of the Heroic Bloodshed genre, but as a wake up call to the West, Hard Boiled was a masterpiece of action cinema. It feels like a CV for Woo before he left for Hollywood, a culmination of his Eastern films before being tainted by the West.

The picture of Chow Yun-Fat toting a shotgun in one hand and a baby in the other is pretty iconic!

All his Western films are a bit silly, really. Magic M:I masks and face transplants? No thanks.

Comment

He never has and never will better Hard Boiled. Its still fantastic to this day.

Comment

Hard Boiled is a great film ... Still think Face Off is his best though, even if it is a bastardised American version of some of his previous efforts.

Comment

Hard to separate The Killer, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. For me all fantastic films. Red Cliff for me was a perfect film representation of Manhua in the style of Force of Buddha's Palm, Oriental Heroes et al.

Comment

Really difficult to pick between Red Cliff, Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. Feck it Chow Yun Fat is called Tequila in Hard Boiled that'll swing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X