No announcement yet.

3 of the worst films you've sat through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien3 is the current winner of the "undoing the previous film" award.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Yeah, no arguments there.

Comment

Newt and Hick's offscreen deaths were cheap and lazy... They could have done so much with the characters but it came down to reusing that clich?d plot device of "No one believes the only survivor..."

I don't think Alien3 is as bad as its reputation, especially the alternate version where

they manage to trap it only for some loon (Golic I think) to release it thinking its a god...

They should have used the Dark Horse comic stories from Vol. 1, 2 and Earth War, brilliant stories btw

Comment

Although given I believe neither Carrie Henn or Michael Biehn wanted to return for the third film, what are you going to do with the characters otherwise?
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Was that because they seemed to be taking a bargain basement approach with the third film though? If so, the solution would be to attract them with a better movie.

That said, I have no idea what the budget of those movies was. Did it feel so cheap because it was cheap or because it was poorly made?

Comment

Google tells me that Alien was made for $11m, Aliens for $18 and Alien 3 for $50m

I can appreciate what the aim was for Alien 3 and I know the studio meddled a lot but on the flipside i've never shook the feeling that Fincher was a bad hire for the film. He's made some good stuff but coming into Alien at the point it was doesn't fit him well. It's like there was a conscious attempt to steer well away from Aliens which ironically was probably a mistake as it was one of the few instances where more of the same would have likely worked much better.

Comment

When I first saw Alien 3 I thought it was terrible. But last year I decided to watch the alternate version and I really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  Although given I believe neither Carrie Henn or Michael Biehn wanted to return for the third film, what are you going to do with the characters otherwise?
                  There's plently, the comics paid homage to and continued the Vietnam allegory by having Hicks suffer from survivor's guilt after his entire squad is wiped. Newt is recovering in a looney bin still seeing flashbacks of Timmy having his face ripped off... The comics do justice to their characters.
                  Last edited by The Moleman; 30-09-2014, 06:22.

Comment

I like alien3, also if you have the alien anthology collection the behind the scenes and making of 3 is very interesting.

Anyway i generally like any crap movie if it entertains me briefly away from the utter pains and agony of real life.

But one movie, that thankfully i watched on tv, did make me stop and sigh at its utter terribleness was attack of the clones. Pretty cliche choice I know.

Comment

Alien 3 pissed me off as a teen having gorged on fantastic Dark Horse comics, I simply loved the 20th entury Fox universe shared by Predator and Terminator (not the mention countless other crossover stories) Never been so hyped for a film only to get crushed by disappointment. Even the SW Prequels or Matrix sequels cant get near the moody jaded effect A3 had on me.

HOWEVER . . . .

Highlander 2 has yet to be usurped as undisputed king of Undoing-the-previous-Film Land

Comment

Highlander 2 is absolutely baffling. How the story was ever even considered is just really bizarre to me. It tramples all over the first movie in some of the silliest ways possible. And yet... I kind of like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                          Highlander 2 has yet to be usurped as undisputed king of Undoing-the-previous-Film Land
                          Alien 3 and Highlander 2 are definitely on the podium, but there's a different winner.

This film manages to undo all of the efforts of the previous film where the protagonist learned that, through the love of a good woman, the fairer sex are not just brainless-eye candy, but real people worthy of commitment and emotional investment.

However within mere minutes, and before the credits have even rolled, the film manages to kill off one of the main characters (with a plot twist that is illogical), making all the dramatic rescues of the first film ultimately pointless and, even worse, the lead character lost any kind of progression as a person wanting to interact with others on an emotional level in the modern world and regressed to the way they were at the start of the original film.

What is this heinous cinematic crime?

It's...

[hide]Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me[/hide]

Comment

Yeah but AP2 gets away with it because its a send up of various campy spy films where love betrayl etc were part n parcel of the genre.

The makers of HL2 and A3 had no excuse considering the previous standard set.

Comment

It wasn't a serious critique, Bash!

Comment

*shakes fist*

IT WAS SERIOUS TO ME!

Comment

Working...
                                X