Alien Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien Nation

20th Century Fox have hired “Iron Man” scribes Art Marcum and Matt Holloway to pen the script for a reboot of the late 1980s sci-fi feature “Alien Nation”. The original film was set in 1991, when alien refugees had come to Earth three years before and were now attempting to integrate into Los Angeles. The […]

The writers of Iron Man have been commissioned by Fox to pen a reboot of the 1980' and 90's serial Alien Nation.

No real info in terms of direction for this but presumably it'll be a modernish day set recreation of the human/alien cop scenario.

It would be interesting to see.

Main thing it needs to do is go all-out as a metaphor for race in society, like the original did. It portrayed a "post-racial" America where there were no tensions between different human ethnic groups, because those tensions had transferred onto the actual aliens living in society.

The original was considered quite uncompromising in its message, but would be quite tame compared to something like District 9, which I suppose is the closest contemporary equivalent.

It had some interesting ideas too. I remember the aliens in it would melt if they fell in seawater (it burned them away like acid). The cop who gets saddled with an alien partner hated him at first, then after a while, when their relationship improved, there was a murder at the docklands and the alien cop wouldn't go near the shore; the other cops take the piss out of him but his partner defends him, saying "you can make fun when you're prepared to stand next to a lake of battery acid". That scene struck me because there was a bit where the mob kills one of the aliens by dragging him into the sea, which was horrific for me at the time (I was probably <10 years old).

Comment

I never did watch Alien Nation, I figured it was a classic Sci Fi when I was a kid seeing it on the video shop shelves along side Roboop and total Recall. I remember catching a glimpse of it on the Sci Fi channel about 10-15 years ago and thinking it looked boring as hell.

I agree though, how are they gonna do this better than District 9? Not only were the race issues uncomprimising but the sci fi elements were kick ass too.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
        I never did watch Alien Nation, I figured it was a classic Sci Fi when I was a kid seeing it on the video shop shelves along side Roboop and total Recall. I remember catching a glimpse of it on the Sci Fi channel about 10-15 years ago and thinking it looked boring as hell.

I agree though, how are they gonna do this better than District 9? Not only were the race issues uncomprimising but the sci fi elements were kick ass too.
        Part of the reason I think they should push the race angle is that the original was novel back then, whereas now, it wouldn't be much of a novelty.

The whole premise was that it was a procedural cop show, but there were Aliens living on earth and that was a factor in policing.

Thing is, it did a good job as treating it as "normal" those aliens were present. It was set a fair few years after they'd arrived, when they were starting to become a part of human society. The characters in the show had long since ceased to be surprised at the presence of the aliens - it was just a part of life.

That was quite interesting back then. Today, I think it would be a bit also-ran.

Comment

Acclaimed filmmaker Jeff Nichols (“Take Shelter,” “Loving,” “Midnight Special”) has had his name attached to a remake of Graham Baker’s cult 1988 sci-fi crime feature “Alien Nation” for a little over two years now. James Caan starred in the original as a racist detective forced to team up with an alien (Mandy Patinkin) to solve […]

The reboot is still in the works but it's unknown if the Disney merger will kill it

Comment

Working...
          X