Sonic the Hedgehog: Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I don't agree in principal, in the sense that I think pandering to old men on something like this is the absolute worst thing they could do and I think older people really need to come to terms with the fact that some things just aren't for them any more. And Sonic of all things has somehow managed to stay relevant and popular to young people even when iterations are derided by us.

But this looks terrible for everyone, new audience or not, kids or not. It just looks bad and, yeah, everyone should expect better.
    I think you're reading a bit into what I said, when you say "pandering to old men"; that isn't what I meant. Not every celebration of a long-running property needs to be Sonic Mania. I meant like in my post; I'm sure Iron Man fans of all ages can find something to like in the Marvel Iron Man movies and his role in the MCU, whereas this Sonic movie just pleases no-one.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      I think you're reading a bit into what I said, when you say "pandering to old men"; that isn't what I meant. Not every celebration of a long-running property needs to be Sonic Mania. I meant like in my post; I'm sure Iron Man fans of all ages can find something to like in the Marvel Iron Man movies and his role in the MCU, whereas this Sonic movie just pleases no-one.
      Yes, you’re totally right. My apologies. Ultimately we completely agree about what we’re seeing so I shouldn’t have even posted any more than that agreement and you’re right that I took what you said and ran too far with it. Sorry for that.

Comment

Lol the memes keep coming.

Comment

Sorry for that.
          Are you really?!

Comment

Sorry for that.
            No sweat man, I don't entirely disagree with where you got to. There's a fine line between expressing the idea that brands should stay true to themselves, and being one of those people posting "those" 4-hour takedowns on the new Star Wars movies on YouTube.

Thing is, I used to feel as though people have no right to complain when a brand acts in a way they don't like. These days though I'm at an impasse, because I feel the brand exists because of its community, not in spite of it (though I also feel the nature of the community is a product of the brand itself; like when Riot Games act confused when they make a game as adversarial and elitist as League of Legends, and find themselves managing a toxic community that is unfriendly to newcomers). I just draw the line when people seem to make it the focus of their existence to criticise that brand, like all of the "Star Wars fans" that seem to be around who, by all signs, seem to hate Star Wars! I just stopped going to see the movies.

Comment

No sweat man, I don't entirely disagree with where you got to. There's a fine line between expressing the idea that brands should stay true to themselves, and being one of those people posting "those" 4-hour takedowns on the new Star Wars movies on YouTube.

Thing is, I used to feel as though people have no right to complain when a brand acts in a way they don't like. These days though I'm at an impasse, because I feel the brand exists because of its community, not in spite of it (though I also feel the nature of the community is a product of the brand itself; like when Riot Games act confused when they make a game as adversarial and elitist as League of Legends, and find themselves managing a toxic community that is unfriendly to newcomers). I just draw the line when people seem to make it the focus of their existence to criticise that brand, like all of the "Star Wars fans" that seem to be around who, by all signs, seem to hate Star Wars! I just stopped going to see the movies.
              Yep, I agree. I think my own view is also influenced (tainted, I guess) by what I do for a living where I see guys in their 30s, 40s and older having a go at creators and artists because they don’t like the cartoon they’re making that is aimed at kids aged 10-14 or thereabouts. I see that to the point of people getting threats and the worst things said to them when the reality is that those guys simply aren’t the audience so I probably project some of that onto something like this. And that’s likely why I took what you said too far - personal baggage!

Comment

I don’t find the trailer as bad as you guys do. I shall reserve judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  TA I reckon you’d buy a Sega carpet.
                  I've always assumed his home is carpeted throughout in blue and white.

I think a jarring mix of cartoon character in a real world setting might even work... just not... this.
                  I think the design of this is particularly bad, simply because it gets so many things wrong. It's just completely off key. From the hideous Sonic design, to Jim Carrey playing Robotnik and not having prosthetics to at least look like the character. When you think of how much potential a Sonic movie could have, this really is awful in so many ways. I think it ticks all the boxes of: 'What not to do with a Sonic movie'.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  . I was 16 when Sonic 1 came out and moody, into Depeche Mode, it was always a kiddie thing. The game was...OK. Nice-looking but OK.
                  I was listening to Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Faith No More etc... But I still loved Sonic and rate is as one of my favourite games of all-time. It never fails to impress me in all areas. It really is a design masterclass.

I also loved Castle of Illusion. Imagine what these Sonic movie people would do with Mickey Mouse.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-05-2019, 19:07.

Comment

Well then to help understand the reaction, picture if they made a Depeche Mode movie and Depeche Mode was in CG with realistic fur for some reason and Jim Carrey was doing his awful 90s schtick in it. How would you feel then?
                    It would cause a lot of inner confusion as I thought (and still think) think Carrey is a funny man. I even went to see Ace Ventura at the pictures, still in a Depeche Mode-y period. I laughed. And then got home, listened to Depeche Mode and got moody.

The idea of a CGI Dave Gahan with fur, a CGI Martin Gore with fur as the sidekick, it might work. A slew of jaunty music enters the charts, toppling Depeche and their ilk from the Top 40, bringing light and colour and happiness back into the world of pop music. The plot involves a neat scene just near the end where they manage to decolorise sound permanently. Jim Carrey as the Evil Bobby McFerrin, trying to make the world not worry, telling it to be happy. Danny DeVito as Vince Clarke.

Comment

It was bound to stumble ever since they first said 'Sonic in the real world'. That style has never even worked for the games with every Mobius setting annihilating Earth depictions. Eyes even baulked when Mario wandered through a city in Odyssey, these characters aren't designed to gel with realistic designs and it's astounding people keep trying to make that work. It's not even about new audiences, every modern Sonic game opens with a splashy CG intro that is usually decent quality and does a much better job than the films trailer all while not destroying the designs, yet still appealing to kids.

Comment

I checked what the director has done up to now and it's precisely nothing. The writing team? Their credits are not good. Not even close. The animation team's latest credits are Wonder Park (33% on Rotten Tomatoes) and Sherlock Gnomes (27%). I was going in looking for reasons to give this the benefit of the doubt, if even just a little, but they seem to have handed this to a team of rookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          It was bound to stumble ever since they first said 'Sonic in the real world'. That style has never even worked for the games with every Mobius setting annihilating Earth depictions. Eyes even baulked when Mario wandered through a city in Odyssey, these characters aren't designed to gel with realistic designs and it's astounding people keep trying to make that work. It's not even about new audiences, every modern Sonic game opens with a splashy CG intro that is usually decent quality and does a much better job than the films trailer all while not destroying the designs, yet still appealing to kids.
                          Yeah, that's a good point - I mean putting aside the story or setting, just the overall quality of the intro to Sonic Unleashed... That stretched to a movie. That's all we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            TA I reckon you’d buy a Sega carpet.
                            I love too. I do have a Sonic towel, along with Sonic pants and socks mind. It's like with Jackie Chan; I half know and expect the new Rush Hour and Shanghai noon, will be sh8t. But out of respect and loyalty, I'll go and watch them in the Cinema, if they will actually be made

Same goes for SEGA. Me and 3 girls in work are going to watch the new Sonic film and we're all looking forward to that lol

Comment

TA would rub Sonics white tummy

Comment

just the overall quality of the intro to Sonic Unleashed... That stretched to a movie. That's all we needed.
                                All you'd need is the sort of talented people who made the Ice Age movies to team up with people who understand/appreciate the Sonic universe. The best Sonic games are ripe material for creating a CG movie that offers an uplifting, fun experience for all ages.

This movie might be so misguided and grotesque that it ends up defying the odds and be quite entertaining. Sometimes terrible movies can make you laugh and cringe at their sheer badness.

It's a shame really, because a Sonic movie doesn't have to be low grade rubbish. No, adapting it to film could have been treated with skill and respect. I really think talented people could have created a truly magical CG movie that reminds people why the Sonic universe is so appealing and fun.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-05-2019, 23:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X