No announcement yet.

All Time Great TV Openers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woot! I can finally view this thread. Thanks charlesr for adding in all the spoiler tags.

Trouble is, every post since has embedded without the spoiler tags. Don't waste his work people!

Comment

Raccoons was a show with serious nuts on it thinking back

to finish with the effective destruction of the forest and all the characters having to leave because it was too contaminated

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

to finish with the effective destruction of the forest and all the characters having to leave because it was too contaminated
        Yeah; it's an interesting one. It was a super-low-budget production for Nelvana, but it really seems to have left a mark on a lot of children of the 80s - much more than a show of that tier really should have. I remember very little about it, but I assume there must have been some quality to the writing.

Comment

It was an interesting show, yes, and I enjoyed watching it. There weren't any true bad guys per se usually (even Cyrill Sneer wasn't completely ruthless and heartless, more the anti-hero Scrooge McDuck type), and it covered some reasonably mature and competent themes without dumbing them down or treating the audience as idiots. Even with Bert as the comedy relief
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Pfffft the beauty of remembering great themes from the 80's/90's. So many good ones to choose from.

Ok, if nobody else will...

Nothing touches jayce and thundercats mind...i always remember thinking as a teen i'd love to see the show remade with a more mature target audience in mind.
            Last edited by PaTaito; 22-02-2016, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
              Nothing touches jayce and thundercats mind...i always remember thinking as a teen i'd love to see the show remade with a more mature target audience in mind.
              As I said earlier, the collected works of the Babylon 5 universe have a connection as a kind of adult Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors. Same writer and it reused some of the same sci-fi ideas. Unfortunately the follow-up series to B5 (which involved a ship on a journey) was cut short (though it wasn't great, so mixed feelings about that).

The writer has said at events that he feels Jayce can be resolved into B5's timeline.

EDIT: Also, I had no idea there was a Ring Raiders cartoon. I had some of the toys; great little idea for a kid's toy.

Comment

Sorry Supes, I think you might have your cartoon shows mixed up somewhat. The series finale of The Raccoons certainly doesn't end like that. Not really.

Episode 11 of Season 5 ("The One That Got Away") has a serious environmental theme running through it and a very sad ending, but it doesn't result in all the characters leaving the Evergreen Forest.

Episode 12 of Season 5 ("Go For Gold!") is the series finale and has a totally different plot.

Only pulling it up because I totally couldn't remember the show ending how you've described it.

Comment

Aah, you're right. That's an unnecessarily bummed childhood memory

Comment

Aah, you're right. That's an unnecessarily bummed childhood memory
                    To be fair, I suspect that Nelvana probably didn't want to end The Raccoons on such a downbeat episode like "The One That Got Away" and strived to make "Go For Gold!" the "good" ending.

Comment

Supergran!

[HIDE][/HIDE]

Billy Connolly singing the theme tune

Comment

Completely going against the spirit of the thread by mentioning one that is recent but I reckon the opening to season 1 of True Detective is superb.

[hide][/hide]

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          As I said earlier, the collected works of the Babylon 5 universe have a connection as a kind of adult Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors. Same writer and it reused some of the same sci-fi ideas. Unfortunately the follow-up series to B5 (which involved a ship on a journey) was cut short (though it wasn't great, so mixed feelings about that).

The writer has said at events that he feels Jayce can be resolved into B5's timeline.
                          I quite liked the spin off series with Gary Cole in the captains chair.
                          B5 had some nice drama in the openings, especially season 4.

Comment

There's lots I enjoyed in Babylon 5 despite how it's aged now. Season 3 to early Season 4 is still pure gold

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
                              Supergran!

[HIDE][/HIDE]

Billy Connolly singing the theme tune
                              SHE'S STILL ALIVE!!!

Gudrun Ure is 89 years old. Born in 1926!

Comment

Working...
                              X