No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Krypton,” “Old” and “The Underground Railroad” actor Aaron Pierre is set to co-star alongside Mahershala Ali in the new “Blade” movie for Marvel Studios. British thesp Pierre’s role is unknown at this time, but he’ll star alongside Ali as Blade, the vampire hunter and ‘daywalker’ famously played by Wesley Snipes across a trilogy of films […]

Actor Aaron Pierre has joined the cast of Blade

Comment

Oscar-nominated “West Side Story” star Ariana DeBose will join the “Kraven the Hunter” movie at Marvel and Sony Pictures. The actress, hot off her win at the SAG awards this past weekend, is rumored to be playing Calypso – a voodoo priestess who utilizes magic potions and is the occasional partner and lover of Kraven. […]

Ariana DeBose, rumoured to be playing the character of Calypso, has joined Kraven the Hunter

Comment

Comment

Christopher Abbott (“Catch-22,” “Possessor”) is set to join Sony Pictures and Marvel’s “Kraven the Hunter” film with unconfirmed reports indicating he’s up for the role of the movie’s primary villain – The Foreigner. The Foreigner was a mercenary/assassin and exceptionally skilled martial artist who has been a Spider-Man villain as well. He joins a quickly […]

Christopher Abbot has been cast in Kraven the Hunter, he's believed to be playing the villain The Foreigner

Comment

Shawn Levy is in talks to direct Deadpool 3

Comment

Ms Marvel releases on Disney+ 08 June 2022

Comment

It looks absolutely adorable. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  It looks absolutely adorable. I love it.
                  I think it looks fantastic; I saw a comment on YouTube which was actually meant to be a negative, but read differently to me - "it looks like a Disney channel kids' show with Marvel stuff in it". I think it absolutely has that feel, but in really good way.

This also poses a question, of sorts. Something we've discussed on here before are the pros & cons of the TV shows carrying the continuity. On the one hand, if they do, that's great, but compared to what came before, when the MCU added Wandavision, Falcon & Winter Soldier and Loki it practically doubled the run-time of the entire franchise in a relatively short timeframe. People can keep up with ~2 movies a year quite easily, but if it's 2 movies and 3 shows, it's not quite so easy; I mean I personally haven't finished Hawkeye or Falcon.

I think it's great that Disney can expand its shows to different audiences and widen the MCU to being more inclusive. But this has the look of something aimed at kids, and while I might check it out, it's not going to be high on a very packed list.

If the MCU widens even more, would it eventually reach a point where to follow the brand, people are being asked to watch stuff they just don't want to watch in order to "keep up", and is that going to be a problem down the line?

Comment

That's the original conundrum that the D+ series put forward, that to follow the films coherently it would mean that the events within the series were ultimately of no real consequence and that lack of direct relevance would mean they wouldn't feel that essential or worth your time. The alternative being they were integral and that would then have a negative effect on the films for the larger masses who don't watch the series.

So far Marvel has done alright with it, they've leant on expansion:

WandaVision: This seems like it will be the first to test the waters. The trailer to Doctor Strange 2 shows we're going to see a direct continuation of the storyline for Wanda so it'll be an interesting showcase for how well they handle direct references to events not covered in the films without either over repeating for those who already saw the series or fumbling it for those to whom this is new story.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Is in effect padding, the arc to the entire series has no real impact on the films because by the end of the series they're in the same place they were at the end of the last film, it's all character expansion.

Loki: Very similar here, whilst the show covers what happened to the Alt-Loki he could literally pop into the films at any point and those who only follow the movies would have seen him vanish in Endgame and re-emerge at a later point with a touch of backstory much like when Loki was lost in Thor and then reappeared Avengers. We get the creation of the multiverse too which seems major but it's also entirely optional as No Way Home showed the rest of the MCU simply perceives it as something that has always been so there's no essential requirement to have seen the show.

Hawkeye: He gets a Padawan in effect and is sad about Widow's death, the only thing from the films unresolved for moviegoers is the Yelena hunting him but that was from a few seconds long post-credit sequence so nothing major either.

If it continues in that manner it should be fine, it's definitely a risk though and as much as streaming needs content and I wouldn't buy them I'm not a fan that all this content seems to be forever gated on Disney+ so effectively will be gone one day in a way the films are less prone to.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I mean I personally haven't finished Hawkeye or Falcon.
                      Yep. I think it's completely unreasonable to expect anyone to watch all of these. And that's partly why I like that they are making them different, even if that results in shows I won't watch. After the trailers, there is no way I'm going to watch WandaVision and I watched no more than one episode of Falcon and Winter Soldier. But I did watch Loki (loved it) and Hawkeye (loved it at the start, a little less so by the end).

I'm definitely watching this one. Yes, it does look like they are skewing younger here but what I see instantly is heart. And for me, that was the big difference between, say, Shang-Chi and The Eternals. Or indeed the Falcon show, based on just my viewing of the first episode.

But yeah, to get back to your point, I decided long ago that I won't watch something just because it leads to something else. Where it sits in the MCU is something I don't care a damn about. That's the wrong reason to spend some of your finite time watching stuff you don't actually love.

Comment

Comment

Always felt Madame Web was a really crap concept. Maybe they'll make it work.

Comment

Yep. Same.

Comment

Richard Rider aka Nova looks to be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel is developing a Nova project with Sabir Pirzada on board to write.

A project based on the character Nova is said to to be in the works

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                https://deadline.com/2022/03/marvel-...da-1234985015/
                                A project based on the character Nova is said to to be in the works
                                I can see why; I think she's a real stand-out. Though we'll have to see if the character has legs to head up a feature.

Comment

Working...
                                X