No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Brian Michael Bendis Daredevil run is one of the best comic series I've ever read. Definitely worth your time.
    If the show was just that comic run I'd be more than happy.

Comment

Forgot to add:

She-Hulk: Episode 4
      So, I do still enjoy this but at the half way point I think I'm starting to become a bit more... mindful of the direction of it all. It's fun, light but a bit... aimless. Her being a Hulk feels almost a bit redundant at times, the show does feel a bit like a vehicle for cameos and increasingly Tatianna might be great in the role but it's not really giving her a whole lot to work with. This weeks ep was goofy, amusing but it's time for some greater momentum to it.

Comment

Watched Thor: Love and Thunder now it's on Disney+.

Honestly, I thought it was a bit of a mess.

Firstly I mean that in a purely practical sense; why were there so many weird jumpcuts? So many where as a viewer you felt disoriented. We honestly stopped the movie to check it hadn't skipped a minute or something.

But secondly, I think, if I'm to sum up, it just wasn't funny enough for how goofy and campy it was. It's fine if the Thor movies want to be goofy and funny; Thor Ragnarok is honestly one of my favourite MCU movies. In that movie it worked, and in this, it just didn't IMO.

Finally, it had two issues that bother me when they crop up in Hollywood movies.

The stakes are not clear. The movie sets up stakes, where they have to reach the Altar of Eternity - a place that can grant any wish - before the villain, to stop him making said wish. Thor implies to Zeus that with that power, he could do pretty much anything. The gods clearly don't care about normal people, so him bringing back his daughter doesn't matter. One assumes, then, that his goal is to wish to destroy all the other gods and bring his daughter back. But at the end of the movie, due to the destruction of his sword, he has a change of heart and just wishes for his daughter, in exchange for her being protected by Thor.

This is all fine on paper, but not in practice. The character of The God-Butcher just isn't fleshed out enough for that change of heart, even if it's triggered by the destruction of a magical artifact. The problem is that the power of the Altar is so vague, as it can in theory grant him any wish.

The character arcs are a bit muddled. Is it just me, or is Thor way more himbo in this than in the other movies? Again, the arc of the God-Butcher didn't feel great, and it's a shame it starts and ends in this movie as the idea of a character who is some kind of militant apostate - like when rejected by his god, he goes out to kill him? That's a good concept. The only arc I thought was effective was Jane Foster's. But then she's played by Nathalie Portman, who I may consider the finest actress of her generation, so every moment with her is a moment well spent.

On the whole, I don't think I'll ever watch it again - but I would watch a director's cut, as I just feel it felt disjointed, which usually suggests something happened in the edit.

Comment

It was a messy, silly film that only becomes messier the more the spectacle of it fades from memory. I think if the director had dialed in the more pointlessly absurd bits, like the theme park boat they about rode in with the screaming goats, it could've been much better - or at least more tolerable. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale were very good, though. It just seemed to be trying far too hard to be funny at every point regardless of whether humour was required. I'd reckon it the worst of the four Thor films below even the second one where Doctor Who played an evil elf.

Comment

She hulk is weird. I’m enjoying it but I don’t know what the point of it is.

Daredevil Netflix series was great. Glad Charlie Cox remains in the role.

Comment

Madame Web moves to 16 February 2024 whilst Kraven the Hunter shifts to 06 October 2023

Comment

I caught up on the last couple of She-Hulk episodes. I love the show. I still find the effects sometimes a little off putting and that cameo from some person I didn’t know a few eps back will really date the show but I just love how much fun it is. It’s a very easy watch and I feel it’s different to everything else Marvel that I’ve watched.

Comment

This ^^^^^^

So different. The cgi is awful though. They barely let her have any expression when she’s she hulk. I have no idea how difficult this stuff is to do but in my head I thought we’d got past the point of cgi humans not looking real.

Comment

Brother said he watched Thor 4 during the week and only managed to get half way through before switching off, have to see for myself in due course.

Ke Huy Quan being cast in Loki, we need an Indy joke in there heh…
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Brother said he watched Thor 4 during the week and only managed to get half way through before switching off, have to see for myself in due course.

Ke Huy Quan being cast in Loki, we need an Indy joke in there heh…
                      Same here... Got Disney+ for £2 for a month last night and the mrs was out so I thought I would check out Thor Love and Thunder.

I thought it was terrible. I get the humour but a lot of it falls flat and the pacing is just crap... I got halfway through and thought nah... I'm out

Probably the worst Marvel movie I've seen to date.

Comment

This marvel phase is absolute ****e

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          This marvel phase is absolute ****e
                          Yeah but it gave us Shang Chi and also No Way Home so I'm giving them a pass for those two movies alone.

Comment

Spidey was good.
                            Shang Chi was good.

Black Widow was decent.
                            Doc Strange was decent.

Eternals I liked but I know I’m in the minority.
                            Thor 4 was poor.

I guess it’s not too dissimilar to Phase 1:
                            Iron Man, Cap 1 and Avengers were good.
                            Thor was decent.
                            Iron Man 2 and Hulk weren’t good.

It feels like a big step back from phases 2 and 3. Which, if it is an introductory phase, is consistent.

Comment

Spidey was just ok
                              Shang Chi just ok

Black Widow was poor
                              Dr Strange was meh

Eternals was like a glass of water in the face.

As for the Marvel series... Meh.

Comment

Damn your eyes to Putney Bridge!

Comment

Working...
                                X