No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Venom” co-writer Jeff Pinker has confirmed that a follow-up to Sony’s megahit Marvel adaptation is happening, but he won’t be involved. The film opened in October to weak reviews, but has defied expectations and become a global hit, especially in China. It has now tallied around $851 million worldwide. Sony has already set aside an […]

One of the films co-writers has said that he won't return to help write Venom 2 but suggests strongly that either in the next film or one after Spider-Man will enter the canon

Comment

Sony Animation’s “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is getting rave reviews for pretty much everything about it, including its unique visual look. Now, Deadline reports that the studio has filed with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to get patent protection for the project’s unique animation process. A half-dozen specific animation techniques and technologies are specified […]

Sony is to try and patent the visual style of Spiderverse

Comment

This is inaccurate. They are aiming to patent some specific proprietary processes and tech they developed to achieve the look.

Comment

So another studio could still replicate the look using a different method?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            So another studio could still replicate the look using a different method?
            Microsoft Paint?

Wow! - "The film used a process that is a blend of computer animation with hand-drawn touch-ups that’s so complicated and complex that every second in the film took a week to render."

Comment

Yep, they could.

Comment

Curious that they want to make that effort then, sounds like their method is a painstaking one even though it's effective

Comment

Yep, it does. There are many reasons they would do this. Some of it could be motivated by style protection, it may be painstaking but they might have worked out ways to make it much less painstaking than it would be otherwise. They can’t protect the style but it’s impracticality might be a deterrent. They also could be thinking that their tools have a dollar value. This is very common and studios often have their own renderers and software mods created for a specific production that they sell on in the industry. But if I were to guess, a big factor would simply be that applying for this creates a perception among laypeople that they have hit upon something totally unique whereas, from the looks of it, what they have actually discovered is animation. There is nothing in the trailers that people would struggle to replicate other than the time it would take to do it across a whole feature. So this could well be a PR exercise.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 14-12-2018, 08:02. Reason: A decade of typos writing on an iPad

Comment

It is Sony so it wouldn't surprise if it was for show They seem to have hit the nail on the head with this one so given their eagerness to get hits behind them it cold well be peacocking to try and protect the investment then

Comment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
                      I found watching this at first to be a little like watching a 3D film, you need ten minutes to allow your eyes to adjust because the animation style was a little hard on the eyes in places. There's a filter over the action that I found a little distracting at first but when condensed at home I doubt it's that visible. The most jarring is the low framing of the movement, personally it doesn't add anything and if anything starts the film off on a needlessly wonky foot as things are at times a little hard on the eyes but the movie is quick to set up the main plot and once settled in you stop noticing it. As crazy as the set up appears it's well handled, everyone gets the right amount of screen time and the film shows that Miller and Lord are great when left to create something they have an interest in. By the wrap up of the film you get into a territory that is an explosion of colour fed directly into your eyes, the story is decent if predictable (one or two twists but despite not being familiar with Miles they were signposted enough to spot). It'll be interesting to see how much this informs Sony going forward.

Comment

Yeah, the visuals are crazy. At first I thought I should have had 3d glasses on. But they have just added edges to stuff and defocused sections of the screen in an extreme way. Once I realised it was deliberate, I settled in and really enjoyed it. Lots of laughs too.

Comment

I saw Spider-verse today and thought it was INCREDIBLE. Totally loved it. Characters were brilliant and the visuals and audio worked so well together. A really strong movie.

Also, I previously said that everything I saw in the trailer could be achieved in a fairly straightforward way but just slow. I was wrong. The cinema screen size reveals an incredible amount of very specific object by object texture processing that I couldn’t even begin to figure out. Not surprised they want to patent these tools.

Comment

It was one of my favourites of the year. So many wow moments. Never seen anything that looks like it. This is why it is important to have more than just Marvel Studios working on Marvel films. As naff as the Fox films sometimes were, at least they felt different.

Comment

Marvel is reportedly rumored to be working on a TV series based around the character of “Thor” ally Lady Sif for its Disney+ streaming service says Discussing Film (via CBM. Sif, played by Jaimie Alexander, was introduced in the first “Thor” and appeared in both “Thor: The Dark World” and on an episode of “Marvel’s […]

Disney are reported to be working on a fourth MCU series for the Disney+ service which will be focused on Lady Sif. The character has appeared on Agents of Shield and remains one of only a handful of surviving Asgardians so it lines up easily enough for Marvel

Comment

Spider-Man Far From Home trailer. It's more the same than ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X