No announcement yet.

The Marvel Cinematic Multiverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a check and found an article where they had spoken to the writer of the Rogers: Musical song and they said:

That Ant-Man was written in purely as a way of easily verballising Clint's disapproval of the show

Comment

Yeah I found the same article. I went digging and turned up nothing. But that moment could have been achieved by writing in any other Avenger and yet they chose him. And in that beat, it feels like maybe even Hawkeye should have commented on that same thing because he knew. Or should know… if it’s the same reality and same Hawkeye.

Anyway, if the next big villain of the Marvel universe turns out to be the all-knowing writer of Rogers, I called it right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        To be fair, I do think the shift into the multiverse and time-travel business is pretty messy. Especially as it seems largely to work as a device to reverse dramatic plot points and character deaths so that you can kill off your big box-office draws then undead them later - or offer 'alternative universe' versions of them - for more coinage.
        Admittedly this has come up a few times in this thread.

I think when the MCU first started, many of us, with not-so-good superhero movies outnumbering the good ones, didn't expect Marvel to be able to realise Iron Man & Captain America onscreen.

Then they managed it. But surely, they couldn't manage something as silly as Thor.

But they stunned us when they did it.

Surely, then, the high-flying sci-fi space-opera bits of Marvel (which honestly, I found subjectively bad as a kid) would never work as a movie? But Guardians and Captain Marvel and the Infinity War movies did it.

So much of Marvel's comics I just never thought would adapt. It's like that bit of the X-Men movie when Wolverine complains about the leather jumpsuits, and Cyclops says "Well what did you expect? Yellow spandex?"

But now Marvel is facing its final hurdles, if you will - the last two major tropes we all associate with American comics - multiverses and character death retcons.

If Marvel can (1) introduce a genuine multiverse into the MCU, perhaps pulling in the other interpretations like Blade as cameos, using it as a tool to re-cast actors as characters and so on - and (2) can literally bring back a dead character through was a clone/timeslip/dimension jump/alternate timeline version/changing reality/godlike character and so on, then that's basically it. They can do anything they've ever put to page.

Comment

I haven’t seen the new Spider-Man and yet I feel we’ve already seen both of those things. Our current Gamora is alternate timeline version. Even the Thanos in most of Endgame is an alternate timeline version. And they have brought Loki back from the dead again and again. And the Loki show and seemingly the Spider-Man trailer is that open multiverse now. So I don’t see any barriers to those two things. They already have them.

Comment

Presumably they haven't but I'd be curious if they paid any attention to the DCTV universe events. Marvel is way ahead of the DCU on this stuff even though DC seems to plan them out earlier, just slower on delivering on them but the TV based multiverse stuff might not be deep but it's literally the only pre-existing example of this kind of franchise machinery and one where within its limited means it's even been successful at it. If anything, the DCTV stuff has already delivered on where the multiverse storylines are bound to lead to in Marvel films and have since been struggling in a way to find a solid direction to continue in.

Comment

I never watched them but that big DC TV crossover event that even brought back Routh seemed superb. I watched a bunch of the trailers for it. And it did feel like they got in there ahead of Marvel on it.

Comment

Yep, it has all of the cuts you'd expect from something that at the best of times is working to a tiny budget but considering what they were working with they ultimately ended up pulling off a very large scale storyline that largely wrapped up their longest running show too and set aside enough time to pay proper lip service to Reeves/Rouths era without it detracting from the other characters. They seem to slowly be shifting towards making the shows shorter and more self contained now so that the budgets go further, something that seems to be paying off. But the continued consistency Marvel has is impressive considering how far from a metal suit in a cave they've taken it in a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I haven’t seen the new Spider-Man and yet I feel we’ve already seen both of those things. Our current Gamora is alternate timeline version. Even the Thanos in most of Endgame is an alternate timeline version. And they have brought Loki back from the dead again and again. And the Loki show and seemingly the Spider-Man trailer is that open multiverse now. So I don’t see any barriers to those two things. They already have them.
                  by god, you're right

Comment

Sony Pictures has pushed back the release date for its Marvel Comics-based vampire film “Morbius” starring Jared Leto. Previously scheduled to open on January 28th, the film will now hit theaters in IMAX and large formats on April 1st, and marks just the latest in a string of delays for the film which was originally […]

Sony has delayed Morbius till 01 April 2022

Comment

Comment

What's interesting with the post credits bits is how most are completely redundant, like you could follow the films without losing any context if you never saw them. But some lean a little bit into being relevant, like, in No Way Home when they mention Nick Fury has been off world for a year. If you hadn't seen the relevant post credits sequence you'd be all 'but he was in the last movie? wtf?' and it isn't expanded on or referenced again

Comment

Watched Ant-Man & Wasp for the first time at the weekend and that post-credit sequence is phenomenally important to the whole resolution of the Infinity War Saga and the preceding 15ish films before it!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Watched Ant-Man & Wasp for the first time at the weekend and that post-credit sequence is phenomenally important to the whole resolution of the Infinity War Saga and the preceding 15ish films before it!
                            Yeah, that one's one of the few where it's a really big deal.

Comment

Yep, which is why it's all the more ludicrous it was a post-credits sequence. They should never assume all the audience will sit and wait to see them, especially if it's something so relevant to the plot of a mutli-film arc

Comment

Watched Eternals.

Liked it more than Black Widow.

It dragged a bit in the middle, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X