No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say, i don't really care. I see more discussion on Endgame then this and with both being Disney I have to draw comparisons.
    After seeing Infinity War it left me wanting more. I want to see how the Avengers get back at Thanos. I want to see how it's resolved.
    After seeing The Last Jedi, it didn't leave me with any anticipation of conclusion or any story threads left to conclude...none in fact. Not one. The big bad guy is dead, Luke is dead and I have no story left to get my teeth in to. TLJ was pretty much a conclusion already.

Comment

Part of that is very clearly by design. Endgame hype has been in full swing since Infiinity War, a movie that ended with a huge cliffhanger being the culmination of every Marvel movie to date, and they really ramped up that hype in a big way. Star Wars on the other hand has been unusually quiet. They have held back on anything about the new movie, which is definitely curious. And yeah, there is a good chance that Solo’s performance has something to do with that, although I would also speculate that losing a director was also a factor (willing to bet whatever movie we get will not be all that close to the movie we would have got) and possibly not wanting to interfere in any way with Marvel hype.

Some fans have been the absolute worst when it comes to Star Wars and, while I’d hope they’d ignore that, I have a feeling they’re not. Whatever about the movie itself, the marketing people are going to be aiming for “it’s a return to form” rather than “this is even worse! Look, women! Not enough lightsabers! Is that Jar-Jar?!”

Very curious to see the trailer to see whether it looks like a deliberate rewind of Last Jedi or not.

Comment

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/star-wars-...the-last-jedi/

Abrams discusses making Episode IX essentially saying that it's been hard to put together as literally no plan or outline existed for the closing chapter after Last Jedi. He says that in writing the film they went back to their outlines that they felt Force Awakens events would lead to then amended them to reflect what had happened in Last Jedi.

Abrams isn't that interested in discussing Episode VIII but he suggests that Rhian already had the film largely written when he came onboard to make Ep8, potentially suggesting Ep8 differs because it was a stand alone story bent to fit its role in the trilogy. He says he's aware there were criticisms of Force Awakens but he's hopeful Episode IX will nail everything.

Comment

Though series are on the way...

Bob Iger has confirmed that after Episode IX the film franchise will be disappearing for a while. Future films will happen but the franchise is taking a break

Comment

Well the trailer is out. Personally, I think the trailer looks pretty amazing. That first moment is superb and then there are some fantastic shots. My only personal issue, and it is just a personal thing, is that I could have done without anything that clings to the past. And man, there is a big thing in that trailer desperately clinging to the past, along with obviously the appearance of another old cast member we knew was returning and then the name of the film itself. Everything I have liked about 7 and 8 has been about moving forward rather than backward.

But the trailer is pretty great looking and I'll be looking forward to this.

Here it is:

Last edited by Dogg Thang; 12-04-2019, 17:20.

Comment

The teaser is really well done. But you do get the impression Abrams is going the fan service route again. The title seems like it’s there to placate the rabid fan base.
              It’s a shame we’ll never get to see a properly planned out trilogy rather than the mix of ideas that’s been thrown at us. Still can’t imagine using old footage of Carrie Fisher recorded with no knowledge of the events of the sequel will be particularly flexible.
              The Big Cling (copyright Dogg Thang) does kind of make sense though....

Comment

Didn’t really stir me, this one. Not sure why if I’m honest. Normally I get really excited about Star Wars.

Comment

Looks meh. And 'The Rise Of Skywalker'... Really??

Comment

Lightsabre, helmet, evil voice, falcon, bad title... yup, that's a Star Wars trailer alright.

Looks fine, it's a bit more of the same and suggests a fan pleasing if pretty boring conclusion to the saga. It's pretty bad when the best thing of the day of the reveal is the confirmation they won't be making anymore for a long time.

Comment

Nerd observation: in both Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi, Vader kneels to Palpatine and Palpatine tells him to rise. So in those third films of each trilogy we have had rise of Skywalker and now this.

Comment

I swear Ian McDiarmid suffered the Mandela effect a few years back. I was surprised to have him listed as not dead, let alone in the movie...

Comment

Reasonable trailer, utter tripe of a name though, really they could not come up with something that brings closure to the saga.

Comment

Force awakens, the last jedi and the rise of Skywalker all seem like auto generated titles. Like the daily mail headline generator.

Comment

It’s not like Star Wars has a tradition of great titles. If the movie is good, it’s not going to matter much what it’s called.

Unless it was called something like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Seriously, what were they thinking naming a movie that?

Comment

I guess but at least The Phantom Menace, attack of the clones and revenge of the sith all gave a sense of intrigue.

Comment

Working...
                                X