No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These film to me feel like: do you remember when you were a kid and you played that game we're you drew a bit of a picture and the fold it over just leaving enough peeping out for the next person to draw a bit and then the next, and when it's unfolded it's a crazy incoherent funny mess... That.

Comment

Is it wrong that, despite me not being a huge fan of it, I want to see it again?

Comment

TROS made $373m on opening weekend with the third biggest December opening of all time. Only $19m to surpass the lifetime earnings of Solo. Easily passed Jumanji 3 as well which is also in contention for the $1bn so a drop in business but natural for the 5th recent film and still huge. Cats made $10m worldwide. Ouch.
        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 23-12-2019, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          These film to me feel like: do you remember when you were a kid and you played that game we're you drew a bit of a picture and the fold it over just leaving enough peeping out for the next person to draw a bit and then the next, and when it's unfolded it's a crazy incoherent funny mess... That.
          Exactly that!
          [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] - I’m okay with those! I mean, again there was total fudging in terms of how they were used and there is a lot I don’t want to think about with this movie because I know it would totally ruin it for me but, as an idea, as an effect, I’m all good with it. But then I grew up loving classic Star Trek which had a dog with a horn stuck on it for an alien.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

TROS made $373m on opening weekend with the third biggest December opening of all time. Only $19m to surpass the lifetime earnings of Solo. Easily passed Jumanji 3 as well which is also in contention for the $1bn so a drop in business but natural for the 5th recent film and still huge. Cats made $10m worldwide. Ouch.
            Ah, that's worldwide. The US figures were way below TFA and TLJ.

Comment

Yep, big drop off but I imagine Solo bears the biggest weight of responsibility

Comment

I think the drop off would have happened no matter what. Or at least some sort of drop off. Keep in mind that this is an entirely different thing to the Marvel movies where there would have been some people who go to all of them and a whole lot of people who will go to just a few - but they'll all turn up to Endgame. That doesn't exist for Star Wars so, instead, it's more like a TV that opens with a big splash but, unless you have seen all the others, you're hardly going to watch the last episode. Now obviously they would have wanted to see growth but, given the hype around the first new Star Wars in years, I think it should be expected that The Force Awakens did better than this one. So yes, I'm sure there are many factors including Solo but I don't think this should be surprising at all. As it is, the figures are still good.

Edit: I checked because I was curious to see if there was anything to back up my admittedly uninformed theory and both Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith seem to have followed a similar pattern although I imagine A New Hope’s figures are skewed by many cinema rereleases in the first few years.
                Last edited by Dogg Thang; 23-12-2019, 14:42.

Comment

I'm currently at home wrapping presents with TFA playing on Blu-ray. I'm only 20 minutes in and it's just a much better film than ROS.

Comment

True, Revenge of the Sith never was that great

Comment

I'm sitting watching Rogue One and it pisses all over the new trilogy. It's such a solid film. Good plot that makes sense, good characters, great FX, the sets and cinematography fits the original trilogy perfectly. This should have been what the new trilogy was.

Comment

I love Rogue One. Probably my favourite of the new movies but I like a lot of them for different reasons. I like that we have some variety in here.

Just saw a funny headline on an article: With ‘Knives Out,’ Rian Johnson Finally Bounces Back From Critically Acclaimed, Billion Dollar ‘The Last Jedi’

Comment

Gonna watch an old Pete Walker movie, SCHIZO, prob a tacky Brit horror from '76, noticed it's on The Horror Channel right now. I *WANNA* see 43yr old British atmospheres!!!

I will report back once viewed. Had the pre-cert of this back in 1992 on tape-only aged 17 but the VHS tape was ragged and the picture rolled vertically throughout the tape.

I bet this is gonna be ****in' ****.

I'll place bets on it's well-crap. 10-1.

Comment

It's gonna be like a terribly-acted, terribly-lit, terribly shoit version of THE NEW AVENGERS*. With a dull plot involving a pedestrian serial killah. I can't wait!

(*Patrick Macnee, not Marvel V DC.)

Comment

Here's some tRoS stuff I didn't like:

The Box O'Snokes. That was silly. The Emperor could still be seen as powerful without belittling Snoke.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I would've preferred it if Rey had kept the name Palpatine. I realise they'd have to change the film to something other than The Rise of Skywalker, but it felt like she just threw away her bloodline willy-nilly. Palpatine was evil, sure, but Rey's parents seemed decent enough.

And thanks to the Luke/Leia kissing nonsense in the original films, Rey calling herself Skywalker made me joke to myself that she was the product of incest. It ruined an otherwise emotional scene

Comment

Yep.

The box of Snokes was one of many, many, many examples of answers to things that either didn’t need answered, or were answered already or should have been covered two movies ago in a much simpler way. Which meant this movie throws up way more questions because most answers were silly. Before this, you could be forgiven for asking where Snoke came from. I mean, there was obviously a power vacuum and someone was going to fill it so I’m not convinced it needed answering but at least it was just one question.

But now? Wait, why was there a box of Snokes? Did he make many? Why? And why then didn’t he just replace the Snoke that was cut in two? Why have a Snoke in the first place if the Emperor was still around - wouldn’t continuity of leader been much stronger? What purpose did a fake leader serve? Why not have an army of Snokes rather than spending all those years seemingly working with tailors to make red outfits for Stormtroopers?

So instead of one really simple answer, we have a whole bunch of new questions. There are so many of those now in that new movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X