X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fan film releases:

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I'm sitting watching Rogue One and it pisses all over the new trilogy. It's such a solid film. Good plot that makes sense, good characters, great FX, the sets and cinematography fits the original trilogy perfectly. This should have been what the new trilogy was.
      I don't disagree with this tbh. There are good/great moments in the numbered trilogy but Rogue One brought maturity to the series. The morally debatable behaviour of the rebels and force sensitive comrades made them much more compelling characters than what we got for the resistance in eps. VII-IX.

Maybe we have to accept that the numbered entries will always lean towards mass-market appeal and it'll take a standalone film to bring the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I don't disagree with this tbh. There are good/great moments in the numbered trilogy but Rogue One brought maturity to the series. The morally debatable behaviour of the rebels and force sensitive comrades made them much more compelling characters than what we got for the resistance in eps. VII-IX.

Maybe we have to accept that the numbered entries will always lean towards mass-market appeal and it'll take a standalone film to bring the good stuff.
        Maybe it's a price we have to pay. 3 or 4 average Starwars for 1 good one.

Comment

Yep Rogue One is a legitimately great film and will stand up in time as being the best one from the Disney stable in this era. It’s crazy to think that people seemed to dislike it on release.

Comment

I don’t know if I’ve met a single person who disliked Rogue One. It seemed to go down very well on release. The only issue was the usual misogyny stuff that caused the IMDB boards to shut down but nobody actually seemed to dislike the movie, even the Star Wars fans who tend to dislike almost everything else. It’s a different type of movie and I think it was a perfect first step in spinning off new movies... but they then didn’t follow that path at all. Who would have thought we wouldn’t miss lightsabers?

Comment

From comments I’ve read online quite a few people seemed to be nonplussed about it but it seems to be getting more well regarded with age. It was the (new) hope that the franchise was going in a more interesting direction with anthology stories but that was ultimately nipped in the bud. A shame too as I would have loved to have seen more expanded stories in the SW universe.

Comment

What I like about Rogue One, and this is going to sound a bit odd, is it just feels grounded.

No space wizards, no laser swords, no light or dark side. Just, as others have said, some morally dubious characters doing what they feel is right to accomplish what they need to do

look at the first time you see Cassian and his murder of the informant

It's my favourite of all these modern Star Wars films and that's for sure.

Comment

Rogue One, I enjoyed it but its middle of the pack stuff for me. It's a solid film with its own tone which is part of why I think it's developed a growing fanbase, that and it shines more the less well recieved the films that follow it have been. There's stuff about it I'm not a fan of, it can feel a bit dry in some stretches and it suffers weak casting in some roles but Star Wars has committed those sins worse in other entries. At minimum, of the Disney era, I prefer Force Awakens but Rogue One was a very good step into how to build a Star Wars spin-off that is worthwhile and it was a shame Solo slammed that potential down so hard in the short term at the least.

Comment

I just watched Rogue One again and, yeah, it’s a great movie. It’s a very different Star Wars movie. It is grounded. It’s serious. It’s very plot driven rather than character driven, yet still managing to have emotional weight when it needs it. I love it. It’s hard to compare to the mainline films because they are so different and, if Rogue One was all we had, I’d miss the fun and the spirit of adventure and the development of the main movies. But that was one of the great things about this idea for side movies - they could be different.

In basic concept (young version of a main hero we have already seen), Solo didn’t fit that at all. But it sounds like it was going to be the polar opposite to Rogue One in tone and, while it may never have been a great movie, it would have been interesting to see what that movie could have been had it remained more of a comedy. It could have been another interesting experiment. Directors are almost never removed from a movie on a whim - it’s too difficult and too expensive (keep in mind Solo’s figures would have fared much better if not stacked against the cost of extensive reshoots). But I’d like to believe that, if the movie was to fail, it could have been a glorious failure for trying something very different.

One great thing about Rogue One that you’d think we could take for granted - the film makes sense at any given moment. That was a real treat. Also, actions have consequences.

Comment

One thing with the Disney era films, they avoid full Disneyfication. They could have added musical numbers too!

Comment

Enjoyed tRoS. Also agree that Rogue One is a solid movie and probably the best of the Disney bunch.

Macklunky!

Comment

I think the only things I didn't like about Rogue One was the quality of the cgi on those two returning characters from A New Hope and how little Forest Whittaker's character is used... Other than that it's solid.

Comment

What was interesting for me personally was how my youngest kid instantly pointed out that Tarkin was CG and my eldest wasn’t so sure. Will be sending her to CG recognition classes.

Comment

Hah definitely recognition classes for Tarkin, Leia though I’m not so sure. Maybe it’s because she was only used for one scene but I found her CG much more convincing than Tarkin’s. Maybe it because she doesn’t really move whereas Tarkin is a fully fleshed out character.

I watched it again tonight and it totally holds up well, it’s a cracking film. It subverts much more effectively than TLJ and succeeds, you look at the Rebellion in a much different light compared to what we’ve seen before. It’s my 4th favourite Star Wars film, maybe approaching outside 3rd in places which is amazing considering I’ve got no childhood nostalgia attached to it.

Comment

They should give Gareth Edwards another one to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X