No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famed “Star Wars” actor Anthony Daniels has revealed in a new Instagram post that he’s slipped on a full mo-cap outfit to reprise his iconic role of protocol droid C-3PO. Daniels is currently at Ealing Studios in West London filming, but doesn’t offer any further details beyond this mo-cap suit and that he’s playing the […]

Anthony Daniels has confirmed he's been filming as C3-PO again, most likely for Star Wars: A Droid Story special for Disney+

Comment

Actor Stellan Skarsgard has seemingly confirmed that the upcoming “Star Wars” series “Andor” has not only been renewed for a second season, but already has a filming window set. In an interview with Swedish publication Dagens Nyheter (via Star Wars News Net), Skarsgard spoke about his upcoming projects and indicated that he’ll jump into the […]

Apparently Star Wars: Andor Season 02 will start filming soon

Comment

A longer season for Andor than Mandalorian seems like a brave/confident/risky move. Still, I'll give it a shot.

I quickly dropped out of Boba Fett but picked it back up for ep5, which is an episode of The Mandalorian and doesn't even have Boba Fett in it. Way, way better. 6th episode was far too heavy on the fanservice as it dotted about aimlessly yet no doubt pleasing many Star Wars fans in the process. I'll watch what I think is the final episode when it drops and, while I can't fully judge the entire show because I skipped some episodes, the Boba Fett parts of the show were a total dud for me. Two really dull main characters who I couldn't care for and a story I wasn't remotely invested in.

Comment

It’s official, a May 25th premiere date has been set for the Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen-led “Obi-Wan Kenobi” event series. The story is set a decade after “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” when Obi-Wan (McGregor) has gone into hiding after the fall of the Galactic Republic. Christensen returns as Darth Vader. Moses Ingram, […]

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi misses a trick by 21 days and will debut on 25 May 2022

Comment

I watched the final episode of Boba Fett last night. On one hand, I probably can't judge the series well given that I dropped out of a few episodes. On the other, I skipped those episodes because I found the show dull and couldn't engage with the main characters whatsoever so that's a judgement in itself, I guess. I found the show tough to buy into. There wasn't much of a hook at the start. And that probably would have been okay had I liked either of the two core characters. But I didn't. They were wooden, cold and dull by design. It's not the fault of the actors, the characters seem to have been written that way.

I didn't buy this character as Boba Fett at all. Not even slightly. Now that's a tricky issue because Fett has about three minutes of screen time so I feel like we all have some imagined version of the character and maybe getting something to match that is pretty much impossible. And it probably wouldn't have mattered had I just enjoyed the character. I didn't buy that other guy as Han Solo in the Solo movie and yet I found him very entertaining and he carried me through the movie. That didn't happen here.

So I dropped the show and just picked it back up when I heard it had become The Mandalorian show again. And it did. One ep is entirely The Mandalorian. The last two feature him very heavily. That last episode was essentially one big battle and I have no idea how they possibly made that so dull. It livened up towards the end when it went kaiju but, mostly, that episode did not grab me at all and was full of distractions, like everyone just vanishing for beats, or characters talking about history that I hadn't seen (maybe in those eps I skipped so I can't really blame the show for that) or that one character who was one of the most annoying characters put to screen and what the hell were they thinking with him?

So yeah, didn't work for me and I was left feeling that this was essentially a series equivalent of a Marvel post-credits sequence:

Basically only serving to completely undo the ending of season 2 of The Mandalorian so we can go into a third season. And that whole undo I felt was rubbish. I get why they did it. But it felt stupid.

Hoping for better when we get a proper season 3 of The Mandalorian.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Hoping for better when we get a proper season 3 of The Mandalorian.
              Wait, I haven't watched it yet but from what you said...

Have they undone Grogu leaving the Mandalorian?

As if so, that's absolutely creatively barren.

Comment

Ummm... well are you sure you want spoilers?

Yep. Just undid it almost as if it never happened.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not invested in the show. Didn't hate it. Just watched the first 2 episodes and haven't felt a draw to come back.

Comment

Yep. Just undid it almost as if it never happened.
                    But it did happen... I saw it happen with my eyes and everything. That's lame.

Comment

Haven't watched Boba Fett yet as the character came across poorly in Mandalorian too but that ending doesn't at all surprise me. Mandalorian to me has always felt like a show in search of a plot. It's mostly just been two seasons of him appearing on a planet, solving a local problem then going to the next planet with Baby Yoda being the McGuffin to make him keep moving. With the ending of S2 resolving that and then the gap till S3 there was the sneaking suspicion that they were still struggling to come up with a decent plot for the show and if they failed to do that then undoing the ending would be exactly the cheap move you'd expect - and here we are.

To be honest, given how many shows they're making, I just think Mandalorian flat out doesn't need a third season. Just make different short run shows on different characters with cross over between them such as Mandalorian appearing in Ahsoka's show etc.

Comment

Just on that last point, for me I disagree for one reason - The Mandalorian worked as a show. Maybe better than it had any right to. With Boba Fett having happened and now looking at what's ahead, there is no guarantee that any of the new shows will be worth watching. Any one of them could be a struggle and might not justify their existence. So it makes sense to me to continue the one that's actually working.

Comment

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how they balance things plot wise as:

Boba Fett
                          Obi-Wan Kenobi
                          Ahsoka
                          Andor

The thing these all have in common compared to Mandalorian as well, they're sandwich shows. Effectively telling a story that the viewer knows has little meaning to the wider franchise and also likely knows the endings too because things have been covered elsewhere in the media. Take Andor, I held no real care for the character in Rogue One and I know how it all ends thanks to that film too so presumably the hook will be on trying to get me invested in his earlier years. It's doable but outside of bringing back recognisable characters it's a harder road.

I think I still struggle as well with what I would call Po-Faced Star Wars. There's two types to the franchise: Po-Faced (Mandalorian, Last Jedi etc) and Dumb Fun Star Wars (Force Awakens, Rise) and I enjoy the latter and get little from the former because it attempts to extract weight from a franchise that is phenomenally simple. The series lean away from the latter type which I think is also why I've struggled with them.

Comment

I don't know if I'd have called The Mandalorian anything other than phenomenally simple. It's like the Star Wars version of Knight Rider or The A-Team. That's why it works for me.

Comment

the final episode was terrible, all poorly directed action relying on Saturday morning cartoon logic from the heroes and villains. Easily the worst TV show Disney have produced and all those mouth breathing super starwars fans eating up the fanservice from ep5 and 6 which goes nowhere, shows they don't need to try and write a good story, characters or action scenes, just jangle some keys.

Comment

It would be amazing if each SW show was secretly just a rebrand of a different 80's show. Gimme a Death Star interrogator series that's secretly Columbo

Comment

Working...
                                X