Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

I haven't watched ep2 yet but thought Ep1 was ok. No idea how Ben is supposed to age about 20 years in about 7 (assume Luke is 17ish in A New Hope).Anyway that aside, it's Tatooine AGAIN. This is one of the reasons I haven't bothered to watch Bobba Fett I've had a gutful of Tatooine. Oh yeah Flea was just bad.

Let's hope there's some jedi super battles coming soon else my interest will wain.

Comment

We watched both episodes at the weekend.

On the whole, I liked it, certainly enough to carry on as the episodes come out.

Visually, some of it was great. I liked how the stuff on Tattooine at the start felt very Star Wars in tone, and generally, how the tone, visually and through the music etc. felt very much like the end of Revenge of the Sith - like Obi-wan is still a broken man, haunted by the things he did.

However, it was weird how some of it seemed very clumsy. Things like the Leia chase; like I think they wanted this slapstick chase scene characteristic of a Zemeckis movie, but it felt disjointed and kinda half-directed. Like I couldn't get a handle on how it was meant to feel; I felt like they wanted it to feel menacing, but also like they wanted the kid Leia to outwit her captors a bit and it landed between two camps.

Also things like how the grifter-pseudo-Jedi turned to face the Inquisitor to buy time; like I could totally buy that he'd had a change of heart, and decided to stick his neck out a bit to help Kenobi and Leia - but I couldn't buy that he would potentially sacrifice his life for that cause.

Also the bit where the Inquisitor shouted about Anakin... In the Disney Star Wars, is it not a top, top, top secret that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker? I can't recall how it's phrased in the original trilogy - and I know that the re-release actually changed the dialogue in Empire Strikes Back to make it sync up more with the prequels, so no idea there.

But on the whole I enjoyed it, save for it being a shame that we didn't get a lightsaber fight. I assume those are coming.

Comment

I bet he ages fast because of the sand. It's course, and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

Comment

Regarding your spoilered by Asura

I suppose it could be argued that it's mostly Luke, Leia and Han who don't know Vader is Anakin so it could be worked around that plenty people know but just not the ones in a position to share the information. Really I guess it's just another one to file under 'roll with it' as it was plainly made up on the fly and like the Luke/Leia kiss doesn't play right in context outside of the moment itself.

It's the trouble with Star Wars having such an expansive and lore loving fanbase and the embracing of the extended universe elements when the films it's based around, the central pillars, are paper thin story wise. It's like trying to build thousands of hours of expanded univser off the Zorro movies, you could do it but little of it would be great or make much sense.

Kind of like we see with Fast and Furious now

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Regarding your spoilered by Asura

I suppose it could be argued that it's mostly Luke, Leia and Han who don't know Vader is Anakin so it could be worked around that plenty people know but just not the ones in a position to share the information. Really I guess it's just another one to file under 'roll with it' as it was plainly made up on the fly and like the Luke/Leia kiss doesn't play right in context outside of the moment itself.

It's the trouble with Star Wars having such an expansive and lore loving fanbase and the embracing of the extended universe elements when the films it's based around, the central pillars, are paper thin story wise. It's like trying to build thousands of hours of expanded univser off the Zorro movies, you could do it but little of it would be great or make much sense.

Kind of like we see with Fast and Furious now
                Yeah, true. Despite how I used to love it, sometimes for Star Wars you'd seen fans absolutely lose it over such small things.

The example I remember was the bit in The Phantom Menace when Yoda says "always two there are; master and apprentice"...

... which like a month later is somehow termed "the rule of two", there's a wikipedia article about it, and it's now cast-iron that there can only ever be TWO Sith in the universe at any one time, and the apprentice always kills the master at some point if they don't die first.

From a relatively throwaway comment by Yoda about the specific problem the characters are dealing with right now.

Comment

I want to add, also, there was a narrative thing which I felt was probably a lot stronger on paper, but didn't come through in the edit.

My theory is that every episode is going to involve a dramatic leap for Obi-wan.

The first one was that he had to choose whether or not to get on the ship.

The second one was whether or not he could use The Force to save Leia.

I suspect that at one point, this was a very strong part of the narrative - that the whole show is ultimately about rehabilitating Obi-wan, and the meta-story is about how events beyond our control can conspire to pull us back from the brink.

But I'm also willing to bet there was studio interference; because to make that really work, you have to start with your hero in a place where they've hit absolute rock bottom. You've got to have your cowboy penniless, hung-over, in a ditch out the back of a bar, getting pissed on by a passing horse - and I don't think Disney were willing to compromise the Obi-wan character enough to make it work.

When we meet him in the show, yes, he's lost faith - but he's still disciplined. He's still carrying out the task that Yoda left him.

For starters, I would've put him in that bar, with the Inquisitors and the Jedi at the start. He would be wearing something that obscured his identity. There would've been a panicky moment when the knife is thrown, and the force is used to stop it, and Obi-wan would for a moment worry he'd inadvertantly done it, only to see the other Jedi take the fall and flee - and we would've seen how Obi-wan has utterly betrayed the principles he fought for; like he's willing to watch someone be killed in front of him to maintain his secrecy.

I would've had him addicted to Death Sticks. Drinking. Or maybe he goes the other way; like maybe when he has nightmares on a night, he goes out and runs, does Jedi fitness routines to the point of personal injury until he passes out and has to drag himself to work the next day. This would also strengthen why Owen Lars doesn't want him to have anything to do with Luke, because "he's a crazy old man"; like the frequently jobless uncle in a family who you dread coming around for Christmas Dinner.

Then, when he decides to do something good, to help Bail Organa, you would really feel how difficult that must be for him. He's in the gutter and he's being given a chance to drag himself out.

Then in the edit, every episode ramps up the dramatic tension, higher and higher until it snaps when he does something that makes him more like the person he used to be.

Last edited by Asura; 30-05-2022, 08:31.

Comment

As a rule the idea of there only being two Sith makes absolutely zero sense too. If there can only be two Sith that doesn't sit too great with the films does it?

I know Sidious had Maul who was presumably replaced by Dooku when Maul was 'killed' (if Maul wasn't killed wouldn't he still be the second Sith?). Dooku mentored Grevious though unless we're not classing him? And if several of the cartoons are canon aren't there others like Maul's brother?

It makes sense to say there's always a Master and an Apprentice working together, not that there's only one of each in the Universe though. It'd be insanely easy for the Jedi to stop them otherwise

I guess that partly ties in with the wider canon. I think at the Celebration event Lucasfilm said they were now going to focus more on expanded stories during the sequel trilogy era and people moaned. Not just about the quality but that the story was done but much like Return of the Jedi, I struggle to see how people can consider Star Wars to have such an expansive canon and yet still think a Galaxy wide Empire would instantly disappear the second 2 people are killed off?

Hell, far as I can see the doors wide open that Sidious just popped into another clone somewhere

Comment

This is all you need.

Comment

Kennedy, Favreau Talk "Lando" & 'Mando' - Dark Horizons
                        Kathleen Kennedy has expanded on her comments about avoiding recasting existing roles by saying they remain open to it in the right circumstances highlighting that they are still discussing things with Donald Glover to make the series Star Wars: Lando

Comment

Obi Episode 3, 1/10 - embarrassingly bad all the way through taking place on a different dusty and sandy planet(what a shock),

more of Ben acting like an idiot, using civilians as human shields (wait.. who's the badguy now), more Leia flipping on a dime between a child or some cool headed adult, Reva the only character allowed critically think, that horrible Marble chair/lair Vader was sitting in looking like it was out of some FMV adventure game in the 90's.

The first meeting of Obi and Vader is offensive, i don't care to much about the lame directing of the fight... it was more about giving Vader the most generic and boring lines to say and Ben nothing, so,so much could of been said between them, instead we get 'you should have killed me' zzzzzzzzz, then having Ben runs away, first it's a act of cowardice, but the second time he smirks as he turns to run, like he had a plan to string vader along for as long as possible, seems like they filmed 2 different plot scenes and mashed them together, then comes the fire stuff which was comically bad, do the writers genuinely not know how f'ing fire works. Why Vader lets Ben slooooowly get away, after waiting 10 years to get him, does he want to give him a chance to fight Ben at this best, then beat him? but you just f'ing burnt his arm to a crisp... make your mind up writers. Also a good job the stormstrooper can't run around that small fire and catch up to a slowly moving droid dragging Ben away.

Zero chance of this turning around in quality, i 100% bet Reva will die saving Ben or Leia from Vader before the end of ep6 as a change of heart because these writers are absolute hacks, the problem is no one will care, i don't know if it's just poor acting, just terrible lines or a combination of both but Reva is very unlikeable, zero charisma, she's done alot of terrible things already, acts like an asshole to her colleagues and rightly gets it back in return.

I will hate watch ep4 to 6 and laugh how bad it gets

Last edited by Tobal; 03-06-2022, 23:29.

Comment

I want to like it but, well, it’s just a bit pish. I’ll see it through, but I’m not expecting any improvement. At least it isn’t irking me like the book of Boba Fett, just boring me, which I guess is just as bad.

Comment

"Star Wars: The Bad Batch" S2 Sets Launch - Dark Horizons
                              Star Wars: The Bad Batch Season 02 will air 28 September 2022

Comment

"Times 8... well, two seasons so times 16"

Nailed the show out the gate

Comment

Working...
                                X