No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven’t watched this but I must admit my tolerance for these types of videos is very low. Mostly because there isn’t a thing that exists that they can’t make sound stupid no matter how good it actually is. And then people post just the ones of things they don’t like and think, oh yeah, they got it good as if there were some wonderfully witty revelation in it. But in the case of these particular videos, it’s because of the hideous preview images they use.

Comment

I avoided the vids based purely on the awful preview images for a long time. They're not witty either, very much as you say, largely focused a very repetitive structure and in-jokes for those who've watched a lot of them.

As it timed with our journey through Star Wars in canon order we watched the first episode of Star Wars: Obi Wan Kenobi this weekend:

It's clear out of the gate that they've spent a lot of time and effort to make it sit alongside the films from a production side of things. I enjoyed it though I'm hoping it's not a template for the remaining five episodes as it once again subscribes to the TV series incarnations misguided brown and slow mantra of storytelling. The highlight, unexpectedly, was:

Liked what they did with that character. Given how many series Disney is making though, I really hope they remember to inject fun and colour into one of them one day.

Comment

I read your spoiler because it seems impossible that a thing has happened in the show that Twitter hasn’t already spoilers for me. Does that not create a continuity problem?

Leia’s intro to Obi-Wan in the first movie referenced his service with her father very much in a sort of “we don’t know each other but you did know my dad” sort of way.

I guess it probably doesn’t hugely matter any more. With the prequels, cartoons and so on, the sense and continuity of a bunch of stuff in the originals is all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          I guess it probably doesn’t hugely matter any more. With the prequels, cartoons and so on, the sense and continuity of a bunch of stuff in the originals is all over the place.
          Yeah, there are already a few things, and the newer versions of the original trilogy actually edit some of the dialogue to make the prequels sync up better too. But concerning this specific one, I assumed that for the Leia plot, she wasn't going to find out that he was Kenobi/a Jedi. Like I thought that he would give her a random name, and plot contrivances would cause her to experience Jedi stuff but not realise that was what it was, and at the end of it, she wouldn't know she'd ever met Obi-wan Kenobi (considering in the ep4 movie she only ever briefly sees him from a distance).

Part of me wonders if Star Wars would do well to "rip the band-aid off" and just do it like how Mobile Suit Gundam does it; the idea that there's the concept of canon, but the materials don't really dovetail and fans shouldn't expect them to.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Yeah, there are already a few things, and the newer versions of the original trilogy actually edit some of the dialogue to make the prequels sync up better too.
            I think people have generally made their peace with the prequels over time one way or another but it will always bother me that the good films were altered to fit with the poor ones, rather than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I think people have generally made their peace with the prequels over time one way or another but it will always bother me that the good films were altered to fit with the poor ones, rather than the other way around.
              The new trilogy has radically altered how I feel about the prequels.

Comment

The new trilogy has radically altered how I feel about the prequels.
                Thing is, however anyone feels about the new trilogy, it's easy just to not watch them and still enjoy the originals. This is currently impossible when it comes to the prequels because of the way prequel stuff has been edited into the originals. You can choose to never watch the prequels ever again and yet they're still stinking up the originals.

Comment

I suppose as well it ties in to the consistent issue Star Wars seems to be having whereby they talk a lot about moving away from the Skywalker saga but ultimately never manage to because they don't seem to be able to come up with a compelling hook that doesn't call back to it in some way.

Comment

If the new trilogy altered my perception of the prequels it would only be to cement how bad the prequels are by comparison. I don't think I've ever seen a convincing argument made for the vitriol the new trilogy receives.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      If the new trilogy altered my perception of the prequels it would only be to cement how bad the prequels are by comparison. I don't think I've ever seen a convincing argument made for the vitriol the new trilogy receives.
                      Main thing is I prefer how the prequel trilogy has a through-story from start to end, and a reasonably consistent vision - whereas the new trilogy was three quite distinct movies, and the clawbacks from 8 to 9 ("Rey's parents were nobodies! No, wait, they were Palpatine's... Nephew?") felt off.

Comment

Main thing is I prefer how the prequel trilogy has a through-story from start to end, and a reasonably consistent vision - whereas the new trilogy was three quite distinct movies, and the clawbacks from 8 to 9 ("Rey's parents were nobodies! No, wait, they were Palpatine's... Nephew?") felt off.
                        Yep, that part is very true and I agree with. I guess I would still feel they are, on the whole, far, far better movies.

But I will always be fascinated by, for a company like Disney, how the filmmakers seem to have been given independent free reign on those movies. I desperately would love to see some of the exec script notes, for example. Because it kind of feels like they gave none and just let both Abrams and Johnson so whatever they wanted.

Comment

I'd agree with the prequels have a clear narrative through story, but I find too much issue with that story being a bad story badly told. Out of three films nearly two films worth of that content is drab and largely wasteful. Phantom Menace is singularly and distantly the worst film in the franchise whilst Clones is very cumbersome and badly directed.

The new trilogy is definitely poor in the sense that it should have always had a clearly defined arc but as much as Abrams gets to carry the can for that is really is on Lucasfilm Johnson for causing that. Force Awakens and Rise make sense, it's Last Jedi take disrupts things. LJ would have been fine it they hadn't strictly adhered to not allowing an Episode X to allow the storyline time to naturally come to the same conclusion or had Rise start from scratch and strictly follow on from LJ as a sequel but instead it tries to cram something together reverse coursing LJ, closing up the trilogy, sequelising the OT and paying off the prequels which is too much for one film to do so it's weaker but partially because of things out of its control, something the prequels aren't, they're largely just bad films and I don't find weaker later Star Wars makes them better as even at their worst the new films are lively with fun sequences.

As for the management of the franchise, Disney does seem to struggle with how to approach the films which is very odd for a company so adept at dominating the box office. More so within Lucasfilm... whilst I don't agree at all with the line that people have taken with Kennedy I do increasingly get the sense that in terms of directing the franchise at a filmmaking level she is one of its biggest problems. She has an epic history behind her but I don't think it's a franchise she 'gets' and there have been quite a lot of issues now and times where quality filmmakers have been fired or dropped out after butting heads and the end results become... well... we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            it's Last Jedi take disrupts things. LJ would have been fine it they hadn't strictly adhered to not allowing an Episode X to allow the storyline time to naturally come to the same conclusion or had Rise start from scratch and strictly follow on from LJ as a sequel but instead it tries to cram something together reverse coursing LJ,
                            The thing is, I wasn't all that fond of The Last Jedi, but kinda saw it as spilled milk and I wanted the follow-up to, well, continue. So much of Rise feels like a kid frantically dabbing tipp-ex on their homework after hearing they've answered the wrong question.

Disney should've demonstrated some creative conviction. I wasn't a fan of the idea of Rey's parentage being a plot point, then making her nobody - but it's better than plot point, a nobody, then actually not a nobody wahey!

As a result, I enjoy Rise even less. It's things like how Rey ends up at the Skywalker homestead at the end, despite not being a Skywalker and having absolutely no reason to go there. From what I recall, it's not even clear why she knows that place even exists. I hate the cringeworthy no-chemistry "romance" moments of the prequels too but at least they make sense.

Rise has really left the movie series in a mess for me. I really hope that whatever comes next, movie-wise, is really divorced from those events.

EDIT: Googled it and found the writer has said...

Rey brings the sabers there to honor the Skywalker twins by laying them to rest — together, finally — where it all began.
                            This is the stuff which makes you wonder; I mean Leia has never even been there. The Skywalker homestead is not "where it all began". But if you're talking executive meddling, it is the place where Luke watched the binary sunset, and the music swelled, and you've got to wonder if late in the process of making the movie...

"It's gonna end on that."
                            "But that doesn't make sense."
                            "Don't care. It's gotta end on that. You know, doo-dooooo, dooooo, do-do-doooo, dooooo... Make it happen."
                            Last edited by Asura; 13-06-2022, 09:49.

Comment

"But that doesn't make sense."
                              That's pretty much the entirety of Rise. And yes, it spent far too long undoing The Last Jedi rather than building on it and that made it and even messier movie, and Abrams is prone to messiness as it is - he has shown he can make this sort of mess following his own movies, even without someone like Johnson coming in and throwing things in a different direction. Even within itself, it's a mess.

Comment

I suppose with the Tatooine bit they're resting heavily on it being the closest thing the saga has to a Skywalker home and as Leia is a Skywalker it does give them that final shot. Though not introduced by Rise I think I struggled more with the Death Star McGuffin room and the weird connection between Kylo and Rey that makes little sense. The Rey/Palpatine resurrection thing works fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X