This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    It's like spending a couple of hours with the biggest prick in the world but it somehow makes you feel kinda sorry for him.
    That sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Blue is the Warmest Colour.

Apparently it got a lot of criticism from certain groups but i loved it. The acting throughout was second to none and the length of the film was not an issue as i thought each scene was essential.

I was left feeling quite down at the end as it drags up memories of heartache and loss.

For me it's a 9/10.

Comment

Rewatched Shaun Of The Dead again. It's always what I thought it was...an admirable 7/10. 6.8 if I'm being exact. It's just a movie I find likeable and admire very much but ultimately a movie which never made me laugh. It's...boring. And clumsy with its 1978 DOTD homages. 'Foree Electric' ffs. Never thought that worked.

Gonna be controversial and say I prefer The World's End, now!

Yeah, teh daddy is OBVIOUSLY Hot Fuzz, I've only seen it once about a decade back and loved it, actually can't wait to watch it again.

I'm even gonna go back to Spaced. I adored it haven't watched em since they were first on telly.

Comment

I need to rewatch Hot Fuzz. I saw it in the cinema ages ago and didn't really like it as I hadn't seen Point Break* but my wife says she liked it and wants to see it again. We watched The World's End recently and enjoyed it and Hot Fuzz is on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon so there's no excuse.

* not sure if having seen Point Break is a prerequisite to enjoyment of Hot Fuzz

Comment

A Quiet Place. Wow!

Comment

Justice League
              Still, fine. Anyone could spend all day picking at it for not being DC's Avengers but for what it is it's a simple, light enough film.

Comment

Era's revisit to chatting about Speed Racer brought me back around to the film. So much cringe but the closing sequence remains one of the most glorious cinema experiences and even now in isolation is just where everything clicks, adore it and it's finally on youtube in decent enoguh quality

Comment

We were talking about this the other week and forgot to bid and it went for 74p or something daft. Gutted!

Comment

Oh man, I started watching Enter the Dragon on Prime instead of going to bed.

I got to the bit where they land on Han's island and all the henchmen are doing their katas on what is clearly tennis courts.

I remember having to justify liking this to rmoxon, but it's just brilliant fun.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      I need to rewatch Hot Fuzz. I saw it in the cinema ages ago and didn't really like it as I hadn't seen Point Break* but my wife says she liked it and wants to see it again. We watched The World's End recently and enjoyed it and Hot Fuzz is on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon so there's no excuse.

* not sure if having seen Point Break is a prerequisite to enjoyment of Hot Fuzz
                      Just rewatched Hot Fuzz. Gotta say I concur with your original assessment of it now. Just weird, really liked it first time yonks back but found it very overlong and not really that funny at all, the ending is particularly protracted and goes on for ever. I doubt I'll watch this again. I'm thinking I'm liking World's End best, now. Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Nowadays we can have John Wick jumpcuts where 100 geeezaz are splattered onscreen in twenty seconds and nobody sees owt wrong with that and the 'hero' is basically deified and everything is OK. I mean, if I killed a man, I would think of who had lost him, his children, his parents, his loved ones. It's hypocritical and fake, more peeps DIE in movies than ever before these days and that's OK.

I'd like to classify myself as a non-racist but realise everyday folk talk racist all the time, I hear banter betwixt black n white at work on the regular, idiotic nationalistic Facebook posts from peeps who are lovely in real life, and one time had a very great Budweiser 440ml-assisted convo with my Indian mate Sam who surmised the worst and most evil race in the world were the White British...and I agreed amiably and graciously with what he was saying...but kinda liked it... it was like he was describing my ilk as pale-ass, sly, sneaky salamander warriors...excellent convo, may I add.

BUT ANYWAY...

Knaarmean? We live in a fully plastic world now.
                        First off this popped into my mind when reading that:

Studio version of Synthetic World, from Jimmy Cliff's album, Goodbye Yesterday.

Second, the world really hasn’t changed that much, per se, just that people now express via the net what they’ve always thought inside and after tapping keys for so many years in the online echo chamber there comes a crossover to real life as evidenced by the “heart to heart” convos with your pals.

We live in a very very strange world and folks like us that were born and raised in analog times can see the shift much clearer than these always on babies as John Wick illustrates:

Diminishing returns due to over stimulation requires something more outlandish next time in order to tickle the senses. Won’t be long before we are actually watching shows like The Running Man or Hard Target where hapless dregs of society are literally fighting for their lives.

I realised this a while back when i saw a McDonald’s advert with a couple of girls washing a car in bikinis. No burgers, no diabeetus, no obesity. Just some perky tits and then a mcDs logo at the end. Going by what I said earlier that’ll probably evolve in a few years to a 30 second promo shot of a man getting a blowjob who looks at the screen and says “im loving it” at the end.

BTW I’m starting a thread about those pesky pale-ass, sly, sneaky salamander warriors

Comment

Godzilla Anime

Not too shabby.

Comment

I finished off Enter The Dragon (as Zodiac Tournament prep!).

They showed it on BBC2 as part of a martial arts evening once, and had a lovely guide by Bey Logan about some of the shooting locations and telling stories of what happened during filming.

I'm guessing this is a good approximation:

I like the story of them hiring a load of gangsters as extras and one guy saying Bruce isn't so tough, so Lee agrees that they can both take one hit at each other. The gangster punch and Lee shoulders the blow then Lee has a kick, but the guy doesn't feel anything.
                            He goes to laugh and that's when his teeth fall out.

There's also a cheeky story of Lee claiming that he also wrote EtD, so the actual writers changed the name of Mr. Smith to Mr. Braithwaite, because they knew he'd struggle to pronounce it.

One of the things that cracks me up is the bit where Lee and Roper are taking part in Han's "edification" and Lee kicks some henchman's face about fifteen times and all the other kung fu guys are watching in stony-faced apprehension.

Apart from one guy who's loving watching Bruce in action:

Comment

The Assassin

This beautiful, hypnotising offering from Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-Hsien is possibly the prettiest film I've seen. Every scene drips in style, atmosphere and emotion.

The director understands that an environment is just as important as the things happening in it. In oriental philosophy it is understood that things cannot exist separate to their environment, they are one and the same, and the way this film is shot reflects that with several lingering scenes of a setting where people wander into shot, do their thing, and wander off again. I love that style of film making as you feel yourself a witness. There's not much action in the way of fighting (this isn't a wuxia movie) but it you appreciate cinema for cinema's sake, for it's art, for it's ability to transport you elsewhere, then you might enjoy it.

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 16-05-2018, 13:24.

Comment

Infinity Bores. Nearly fell asleep during some parts literally eyes closed, though from sci fi Africa land onward it was decent action.

Comment

Working...
                                X