X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    Rashomon (1950)

Excellent. Kurosawa’s study on interpretation, competing narratives, reality and character perspectives. Wonderfully put together and paced. Even the settings and weather are characters in themselves. The opening scene is exquisite, with torrential rain and two characters brooding over what they had seen. A masterclass in shot composition.
    That's an absolute classic and probably still my favourite Kurosawa film. Often imitated but never bettered. I wish there were UHD versions of the Kurosawa catalogue available.

Comment

Just rewatched Brian Yuzna's 'Society' probably for the first time since around 1992.

It's dated quite badly. It's really cool in bits but I don't think it's directed too well, it's jolty and I always thought the effects looked wonky and it don't half drag at points. Loved it back in t'day but won't be too fussed if I don't ever see it again.

Comment

Hunger Games 4

A very good series of films wrapped up nicely. They did well with these.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          Just rewatched Brian Yuzna's 'Society' probably for the first time since around 1992.

It's dated quite badly. It's really cool in bits but I don't think it's directed too well, it's jolty and I always thought the effects looked wonky and it don't half drag at points. Loved it back in t'day but won't be too fussed if I don't ever see it again.
          Used to think it was class film back in the day and loved the name of the Make up guy 'Screaming Mad George' but I watched it a few years back and thought it was boring.

I watched Braindead the other day on my night shift and That film is still amazing and such a laugh; the Kung Fu Priest still cracks me up. The make up effects still hold up and havent aged a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            I watched Braindead the other day on my night shift and That film is still amazing and such a laugh; the Kung Fu Priest still cracks me up. The make up effects still hold up and havent aged a bit
            I went off custard for a while after I saw Braindead!

Comment

Jurassic Park II: The Lost World
              Looking back the entire idea of Isla Sorna makes no sense whatsoever. We see the scientists including their lead Dr Wu birthing dinosaurs in the Park and yet InGen required an immense installation on another island nearly 90 miles away where they seemed to have been making a massive surplus of them on a huge scale. Then, whereas Jurassic Park was evacuated overnight as a security precaution because of a Hurricane, Sorna was permanently abandoned due to one which reeks of design shortcomings. Now, the decision may have been made to try and recapture a sense of the unknown but we mostly just see jungle trees so it remains a massive missed opportunity to do the obvious better option of going back to the Park. None the less, it gave us our last great hope for the films by gifting us a second island. More so, it's clear as day that Fallen Kingdom's hand wave of an excuse about Sorna doesn't hold water in the slightest so I still expect a revisit down the line. The film itself though remains decent, if falling well short of the original. It just makes the action feel too generic and if you took Goldblum out of the film it likely wouldn't have had enough steam to get to a third entry. The San Diego section and gymnastic sequence remain the franchise low point.

Jurassic Park III

Once again, too much jungle action and that awkward 'Alan' meme but the film works precisely because it has several good moments held together by a very lean runtime. For all the complaints levied against World, that film was exactly the kind of sequel needed to continue after this one but it's still good fun as a linking bridge to the newer films.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                I went off custard for a while after I saw Braindead!
                Still amazed all that gore was left in and the film was uncut in the UK .

Comment

Same with Bad Taste as well, I'd say it was even gorier than Brain Dead. I think it's because the gore is kinda 'innocent', cartoony, which is why they were left alone by the BBFC.

Comment

Same with Bad Taste as well, I'd say it was even gorier than Brain Dead. I think it's because the gore is kinda 'innocent', cartoony, which is why they were left alone by the BBFC.
                    I love how much love and effort Peter Jackson put into making Bad Taste. The bit where "Robert" (Peter Jackson) is puking up into a bowl for the others to eat (still makes me gag) is actually a puppet he made by moulding his own face.
                    The final alien moulds had to be constructed in several pieces because his mum's oven wasn't big enough!

Jazzy, if you're a fan of Bad Taste, then Good Taste is a must-see. Really inspiring and I know that he put the experiences of those earlier films into the LotR films. I know "Mother" from Braindead appeared as a character in the extended cut of LotR. Obviously he's cameod in all the films, but less obvious than playing Robert and Derek in the same film!

Comment

Most prob, but then I thought the gore in Dawn Of the Dead was rather cartoony and that got massice cuts.

The makeup effects in Braindead are amazing. Bob McCarron and Richard Taylor work is just some of the best make up effects I have ever seen in a film. Its a crying shame that no one looked to do a BluRay remaster or SE of this film with extra's. I think its Peter Jackon's best work

Comment

Just wanted to add that I love Braindead

Comment

Yeah!!! Those "crazy 80s movies" as I call 'em (even if BD is technically a 90s movie, I'm sure y'knaaaarmeeean).

SO...I watched Frankenhooker again...for like the first time in like sixteen years.

It holds up. It's still great fun.

Was expecting this to date like Society did but no chance here, it's got so many funky mad elements, James 'Street Trash' Lorinz is HAMAZE, the lass who plays Frankenhooker is aces, the jazzy soundtrack is so evocative and it all feels like it takes place in some weird 80s Double Dragon world. There's so much, it's great, script is great and the effects are rubbery, it's very similar to the director (Frank Henenlotter's) own Basket Case in many ways but I love this and could never love that.

I think the version off The Horror Channel is uncut, deffo don't remember all the crack pipe smokeage and brain drillage when I saw it on video back in t'day. Could be wrong though. Very good version they're showing, if not HD.
                          Last edited by JazzFunk; 03-07-2018, 00:31.

Comment

Feel sad. I remember waiting for the moment Peter Jackson announced Bad Taste 2.

I kept waiting and waiting. But when I saw The Frighteners, I kinda knew it wouldn't be happening. It wasn't a bad movie but the crazy stimulus was gone.

And then LOTR came out. Even less crazy stimulus.

King Kong.

I wanna kick that fat old bast's saggy arse so hard he gets in shape, shaves that stupid beard off and gets back into Derek mode, even if it takes him crapping on my foot mid-hoof.

Comment

More crap off The Horror Channel.

'Curtain'

1/10.

JazzijVerdict?

"like grinding your dick in a diamond grinder with vintage Coronation Street on in the background"

Comment

Feel sad. I remember waiting for the moment Peter Jackson announced Bad Taste 2.

I kept waiting and waiting. But when I saw The Frighteners, I kinda knew it wouldn't be happening. It wasn't a bad movie but the crazy stimulus was gone.

And then LOTR came out. Even less crazy stimulus.

King Kong.
                                I sport of agree, but like with Jackie Chan and how the USA success killed the magic, I'm glad these people got success and recognition they deserved (feel the same for Sam Rami too) and King Kong is what got Jackson in to making films, so it hard to knock him for wanting to do a film based on that.

I didn't think the Frighteners or the LOTR films were that bad at all and given Braindead all but bombed at both the pictures and even on VHS. I guess it was hard for Jackson to get any sort of funding to make that style of film, at the time. Love to see him go back to black comedy horror though.

Comment

Working...
                                X