Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He went from Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, Brain Dead...

...to The Frighteners, LOTR, King Kong, whatever else he's done since.

Therein lies the gulf.

The first half of the gulf is like sherbet in the 80s. The second is like a dust sandwich on bread made of old hemp scrolls from eras when men wore gold hats and walked around with their balls out like it was nothing.

Comment

ANOTHER Horror Channel special, 'Wind Chill', this time a movie with a decent budget and given 3/5 by Kim Newman in Empire.

3/5???! What the **** was he on???!!

That's like a 6/10!!! This is a 3 at most!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        He went from Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, Brain Dead...
        Think you're being a little unfair. Lord of The Rings weren't bad films at all and even if Jackson didn't make another film after Braindead. I'll hold him up as a genius and the man behind one of my fav films of all time.

Comment

Soz mate but I thought the LOTR movies were ass, so confident in a smug gravitas I felt was entirely undeserved, seemingly 'important', almost untouchable...but not so to moi. The Emperor's New Clothes were very, very beige in their naked state with this franchise.

Even being 'Legolas' didn't make the experience any less boring, it's sad when a beer sesh can't even touch the sides of a movie's innate tedium.

I may give the saga another blast at some point but in all honesty, right now the prospect makes me feel like smoking a car exhaust like a big cigar.

Comment

And I'd say The Frighteners was likeable enough in its own wispy 12-cert* way but there deffo could've been a way better vehicle to put Michael J. Fox back on the map. His colour was wasted amidst the beigeness of the movie.

*I can't be arsed checking IMDB but it felt like a '12'.

Comment

A rough diamond at work. Such immense vim. Hollywood turned him into a cubic zirconia.

*CASE CLOSED*

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                Soz mate but I thought the LOTR movies were ass, so confident in a smug gravitas I felt was entirely undeserved, seemingly 'important', almost untouchable...but not so to moi. The Emperor's New Clothes were very, very beige in their naked state with this franchise.

Even being 'Legolas' didn't make the experience any less boring, it's sad when a beer sesh can't even touch the sides of a movie's innate tedium.

I may give the saga another blast at some point but in all honesty, right now the prospect makes me feel like smoking a car exhaust like a big cigar.
                I thought the The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring was a brilliant film and the other 2 films, not that bad at all. I didn't care much for the spin off movies though.

And to me, Braindead and Bad taste is a work of a genius and a super talented man, who kicks ass for the Lord

Comment

^^ That looks worse than what my cousins and I used to make when we were kids. Put down whatever you're smoking, Jazzy Feet.

CASE REOPENED

Comment

Another vote for the LOTR here. The first is the best and then they gradually lose it, but still an incredible trilogy.
                    Bad Taste! I borrowed the VHS from a kid at school, and when it finished I rewound it and watched it again.

Comment

The Lord of the Rings films are cinematic milestones. They're a massive event.
                      I love Jackson's earlier work (Bad Taste especially), but I'm so pleased he evolved as a director to make the LotR films.

I also love how he used his knowledge and enthusiasm for cinema that he learned making films with his mates was put to use with his later films.

For example, forced perspective.
                      He built several models for the house in Bad Taste (it was a listed building IIRC), and he built a set to make Frodo seem small and Gandalf seem tall.

Comment

I showed that Frodo/Gandalf scene to my wife and told her how it was done and she said something along the lines of "yeah, I thought it looked weird."

She said she could tell Gandalf was a bit out of focus compared to Frodo which wouldn't happen if they were on the same plane.

Comment

Went to see Sicario 2 Soldado last night. Loved the first and expected this to be solid but average ... but it was actually really good.

Comment

I actually started a 'movie club' at high school, on a Friday aft where we had like a free time period, I somehow convinced this cool teacher to let me show movies on the library CRT/VHS trolley combo on wheels. It only lasted two movies, first was Bad Taste, second was Re-Animator 2, which another teacher walked in on and disapproved of.

But it was ace showing Bad Taste to a bunch of kids, they loved it. Put it on for my grandma, too, she was absolutely disgusted by it, which made it hilarious for me and my bro.

Comment

Watched the first Jurassic World with the boy last weekend in preparation for the new film. It was ****. Entertaining for a couple of hours I suppose, but it was still rubbish. He enjoyed it though, and that’s the main thing.

I don’t think we’ll be going to the cinema to see the sequel as it’s £25 for the pair of us. I reckon I’ll wait until it’s on Amazon and I can stream it for a fiver.

Comment

LOTR films are masterpieces. Incredible attention to detail, epic in scope and some of the most amazing scenes ever filmed. I know book fans are unimpressed with certain liberties, and that’s fair enough. I know that the high fantasy olde world dialogue and drawn out scenes aren’t to everyone’s taste either, and that’s fair enough too. But personally, I consider them to be a modern epic. Jackson achieved something thought unachievable. The set designs, the cinematography, the scale, the handling of different narratives - it was, and still is, a towering cinematic achievement.

Comment

Working...
                                X