This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I've got too many as it is without getting the same films twice.
    It depends on the film and how much it means to you. I've lost count of the amount of times I've bought the THING and you can bet I'll buy the 4K Master version too.

There is a new Interview for Project A II and there's some nice stuff like a Interview with Mars and the 'someone will know me' all put on the disc. Its not new stuff per say, buts it nice none the less. Like a lot of films if you want all the extra's and content you have to own different versions (like with the THING funnily enough ).

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      It depends on the film and how much it means to you. I've lost count of the amount of times I've bought the THING and you can bet I'll buy the 4K Master version too.

There is a new Interview for Project A II and there's some nice stuff like a Interview with Mars and the 'someone will know me' all put on the disc. Its not new stuff per say, buts it nice none the less. Like a lot of films if you want all the extra's and content you have to own different versions (like with the THING funnily enough ).
      You're probably the same as me.
      You've got The Thing on VHS, DVD, Laserdisc, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Ultraviolet and Prime, but if it comes on telly, you'll still sit and watch it!

I remember in 2009 when it had a limited cinema run and the BR came out, but [MENTION=6869]dvdmike[/MENTION] was unhappy with the quality of the transfer, taking the HD-DVD version and adding DNR to it:

Fingers crossed, wherever he is, he's happy with the new 4K re-re-re-re-re-re-release at last!
      I miss Mike, he was a well-informed cinéaste.

If I got to look through all your films, I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop, TA!
      So many great films and versions of them. Lovely.

Side note, Bey Logan has a website called Reel East and he's done a few commentary tracks for classics that never got the HKL/Cine East/Cine Asia/Dragon Dynasty treatment:

Drunken Master (1978) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
      Drunken Master II (1994) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
      Enter the Dragon (1973) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
      Once Upon A Time In China (1991) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99

I'll be honest, though, not only do I think they're overpriced, the shine has left a little from Bey's work after the allegations that he provided actresses for Harvey Weinstein when he worked for TWC, saying it would boost their career to sleep with him and also that Logan himself did some "casting couch" actions like getting them to touch him or get naked:
      Bey Logan, a Hong Kong-based film executive who has close relations with Harvey Weinstein, is accused of sexual harassment.

Comment

The Nightmare Before Christmas
        First time my missus has watched and enjoyed it. Thought it would freak out the kids with them being so young but they were pretty into it too.

IT: Chapter One
        I've probably seen this too many times in the one year it's been out now but it's still a great watch.

Goosebumps
        Oddly this easier watch held the kids attention less. It's lively enough if mostly forgettable

Deep Blue Sea 2
        Yes two. God knows why they greenlit this. It' looks like it's older than the original despite being brand new and isn't so much a sequel as a ropier remake. Awful.

Comment

You're probably the same as me.
          You've got The Thing on VHS, DVD, Laserdisc, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Ultraviolet and Prime, but if it comes on telly, you'll still sit and watch it!
          I never got the Laserdisc version but I got the VHS version , The USA version on DVD, 3 Versions on Blu-ray (including 1 import and the newly released Pal Special Collectors Edition) and also got it on HD-DVD.

Side note, Bey Logan has a website called Reel East and he's done a few commentary tracks for classics that never got the HKL/Cine East/Cine Asia/Dragon Dynasty treatment:

Drunken Master (1978) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
          Drunken Master II (1994) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
          Enter the Dragon (1973) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
          Once Upon A Time In China (1991) Audio Commentary by: Bey Logan - $8.99
          I've got Drunken Master . But I have to say my fav version of both Snake In Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master is the Made In Hong Kong Widescreen 1994 VHS releases. I love the English dub to those and watched them both so many times I've got used to the dub and not accept any other versions lol..

Thanks for the look out btw

If I got to look through all your films, I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop, TA
          I just grew up in the magical time of the 80's Where me and some other mates were nerds, not just for consoles but also for our love of gore, Hong Kong actions films and 80's Sc-Fi. Not many kids went to school with Tom Savini and George A. Romero, Jackie Chan are GODS written in Tipex on their school bag like I did.

Comment

I never got the Laserdisc version but I got the VHS version , The USA version on DVD, 3 Versions on Blu-ray (including 1 import and the newly released Pal Special Collectors Edition) and also got it on HD-DVD.
            That's hilarious!
            I think I've just got the DVD these days as it's got the film in decent quality and that lovely commentary.
            I can't remember if it this or EFNY that you can hear Carpenter and Russell clink glasses as they chat.

I'm starting to confuse myself with all these new versions, tbh.
            It's Studiocanal that are doing this new clutch of films:
            THE FOG, THEY LIVE, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and PRINCE OF DARKNESS

They're also on at selected cinemas:

Arrow have only done:
            The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China

By searching for the above, I've found that Powerhouse Films have done some Limited Edition Blu-Rays ("Indicator"):
            Ghosts of Mars, Vampires and Christine

Second Sight only seem to have:
            Assault on Precinct 13

I don't own any JC BRs, but I don't have any version of Assault oP13, Vampires, Ghosts of Mars, so I need to plug a few gaps in my collection!

I've got Drunken Master . But I have to say my fav version of both Snake In Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master is the Made In Hong Kong Widescreen 1994 VHS releases. I love the English dub to those and watched them both so many times I've got used to the dub and not accept any other versions lol..
            Yeah, I can relate. I'm used to subs on my Fu (C4 showed them subbed), dubs on my Kaiju flicks (C4 showed them dubbed) and Anime I can watch either way (C4 showed them both ways!)

Thanks for the look out btw
            No problem.
            I thought you'd be all over it, but thought it'd be worth mentioning them.
            After the BBC Kung Fu night where Logan talked about Enter The Dragon whislt visiting filming locations, I always wanted to hear the whole film with him talking about it.

I just grew up in the magical time of the 80's Where me and some other mates were nerds, not just for consoles but also for our love of gore, Hong Kong actions films and 80's Sc-Fi. Not many kids went to school with Tom Savini and George A. Romero, Jackie Chan are GODS written in Tipex on their school bag like I did.
            Plenty of great modern film makers, but 80s cinema was a particularly inventive period for me too.

Comment

That's hilarious!
              I think I've just got the DVD these days as it's got the film in decent quality and that lovely commentary.
              I can't remember if it this or EFNY that you can hear Carpenter and Russell clink glasses as they chat..
              Its a pain keeping up with it all. But Scream Factory did a collectors version in the USA (which I imported via Amazon.com and then Arrow films did a Special Edition this year for us here in Pal land

Scream Factory extra's are always amazing, I so wish they would bring out their range over here in the UK.

Yeah, I can relate. I'm used to subs on my Fu (C4 showed them subbed)
              I still have many of the Kung Fu films tapped off channel 4. I love their version of Jackie Chan's Armor of God since the music was changed in latter version on DVD ect.

Plenty of great modern film makers, but 80s cinema was a particularly inventive period for me too.
              Yeah.. I fell the same for games I'll not let my nostalgia and love of 32bit gaming, spoil my love of current gaming. The main difference is though.. CGI has killed off some of the Practical effects one saw in 80's gore films and with the death of Peking opera in Hong Kong there's no longer a endless supply of insane and talented stuntmen.

When I was growing up I wanted to work in Make Up Effects, which was rubbished by career teacher and most of the other teachers in school, including my Arts teacher
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 29-10-2018, 11:19.

Comment

I was thinking it would be great if films were like games in how they get remastered - same engine but higher quality models.

Imagine if all the real and CGI elements of a film were kept separate. Years later, the dodgy CGI parts could be replaced by better quality ones and the film re-released.

Or imagine someone made a film and then released the stuff as open source - including dialogue and music tracks - so people could edit them freely.

Or imagine a film where the filmed elements are distributed to different countries to add CGI. So Japanese CG artists do their thing, Chinese do their thing, Brits, etc. Then the film is released in each region using that country’s CG artwork.

Wowzers.

Comment

Remember how great it was when Han stood on Jabba’s tail?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                    I was thinking it would be great if films were like games in how they get remastered - same engine but higher quality models.
                    I was thinking something similar whilst watching The Matrix Reloaded last week.
                    At the time, I couldn't see the CGI in The Burly Brawl, but the difference is as clear as night and day now.
                    They actually spent a lot of time and money scanning the set and the actors to recreate it digitally.
                    The set itself is still convincing, but the actors suffer from Uncanny Valley, where's the something not quite right.
                    For me, it's Keanu's clothing. It seems to lose its texture and appears smooth.

The scans of the actors are incredibly realistic though.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post

Imagine if all the real and CGI elements of a film were kept separate. Years later, the dodgy CGI parts could be replaced by better quality ones and the film re-released..
                      That sort can happen now in some cases. I always had issue with the Skyline in the last shot of Blade Runner (when the Dove fly's up) and so thankful that was sorted out with the remaster a few years back . I then look at Jurassic Park and T2 at their effects still hold up even today and don't need to be redone - Quite remarkable given their age.

Comment

Can anyone tell me (without giving away any spoilers - I've never seen the film) which version of Candyman is considered the definitive one in that new Arrow LE please: US Rated R or UK theatrical?

Comment

That sort can happen now in some cases. I always had issue with the Skyline in the last shot of Blade Runner (when the Dove fly's up) and so thankful that was sorted out with the remaster a few years back . I then look at Jurassic Park and T2 at their effects still hold up even today and don't need to be redone - Quite remarkable given their age.
                          Starship Troopers is another one which still looks good for its age.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Can anyone tell me (without giving away any spoilers - I've never seen the film) which version of Candyman is considered the definitive one in that new Arrow LE please: US Rated R or UK theatrical?
                            I'm on my own, But I like the UK theatrical cuts to both Candyman and Night Breed

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Starship Troopers is another one which still looks good for its age.
                              Yeah good call. Saving Private Ryan really holds up too, its hard to tell when CGI was used to help with the effects . Both look great in 4K HDR and Saving Private Ryan new sound mix is the best I've ever heard. Can't wait for the new 4K version of Superman next week

Comment

Just back from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. I see it's getting some bad reviews, and as it started I thought it was a bit 'light'. To be honest though, by the end I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it very affecting. Some epic casting of the band apart from perhaps the guy who played Roger Taylor.
                                Last edited by Colin; 29-10-2018, 21:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X