Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      The ending of Voyager was such a rushed farce, that badly let down the fans who had stuck with the show. Yet I have no interest in seeing a Janeway spinoff.
      That pretty much sums up all of voyager. I enjoy it, but it's such a missed opportunity.

As an example, the ship was meant to get more adapted as the show went on, with plants and crops in the corridors and extra equipment bolted to the hull to demonstrate the Jerry rigging required for such a long journey.
      Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 10-09-2022, 09:50.

Comment

The closest it came to doing something different, where the ravages of living on the edge and having to make Heath Robinson adaptations took their toll, was the Year of Hell two parter.

It could have been a series with a long tradition of grey morality and creative workarounds, but it became very safe, very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          That pretty much sums up all of voyager. I enjoy it, but it's such a missed opportunity.

As an example, the ship was meant to get more adapted as the show went on, with plants and crops in the corridors and extra equipment bolted to the hull to demonstrate the Jerry rigging required for such a long journey.
          As [MENTION=7343]prinnysquad[/MENTION] has said, the Year of Hell segment was the best part of the show and gave a glimpse of what the entire show could've been.

There was also an episode, I think called Equinox where they run into another Federation ship that was flung across the galaxy, and that crew has gradually shredded their ethics in order to survive.

Both of these were examples of a better show contained within the show. It's like that 40-minute interlude at the prison in The Chronicles of Riddick, where they put a shorter, better movie within their movie.

Comment

There are other factors but I lay a fair bit of the blame on the fans themselves for Voyager. After DS9 the common nagging point was 'it's not like real Star Trek' by which they mostly mean TNG at that point.

Voyager was in effect another departure but with DS9 being established as what it was and falling viewing numbers Voyager seemed to constantly nudge in a new direction then pull itself back until you get to First Contact being well received and the show then just tries to run its course on that films back.

As much as Paramount tries to fan please still, the newer films emboldened them and you still have the same moaning except the studio is a bit more willing to ignore them, like with Discovery which has issues we could talk about but broadly is fine. Voyager was fairly safe and mundane but I guess that's because that's what people were calling for, after all... most of TNG is actually pretty boring ep of the week stuff.

Comment

Billy Campbell Returns For "Star Trek: Prodigy" - Dark Horizons
              Actor Billy Campbell is reprising his Next Generation role of Thadiun Okona in the upcoming second half of Star Trek: Prodigy Season 01

Comment

"Strange New Worlds" S2 Will Go For Broke - Dark Horizons
                The makers of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds plan to continue not to plan far in advance and to focus on letting writers try varied episodic ideas to keep the show distinct from the others currently in production

Comment

Paramount Pulls "Star Trek 4" From Schedule - Dark Horizons
                  Shocking no-one, Star Trek XIV is pulled from the schedules again

Comment

Finding strange new worlds a proper chore now watching the odd ep here and there, on 8 now and tbh it's dog****.

Not as arse as Piccard or Discovery but my god....boring.

Comment

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 08-10-2022, 23:17.

Comment

Comment

Comment

"Rings" Pair Talk Their Unmade "Star Trek 4" - Dark Horizons
                            The writers behind one of the past Star Trek XIV attempts outline their story idea

Comment

"Picard" S3 To Have DS9, Voyager Callbacks - Dark Horizons
                              Star Trek Picard: Season 03 will contain more nods to Star Trek: Voyager but will also link in with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with the fallout of the Dominion War playing a part in the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                "Picard" S3 To Have DS9, Voyager Callbacks - Dark Horizons
                                Star Trek Picard: Season 03 will contain more nods to Star Trek: Voyager but will also link in with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with the fallout of the Dominion War playing a part in the story.
                                After how they finally clarified the connection between Picard and Guinan, I'm kinda dreading this

I rewatched Q Who and The Best of Both Worlds recently and the dialogue about their relationship was vague, but as is often the case with these things, hinted at something really interesting that went much further than "in 30 years Picard's going to go back in time and meet me".

Comment

Working...
                                X