X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 13 - Bruce Willis

"Come out to the forum, we'll set up a poll, have a few laughs..."

Bruce Willis

A hard one to compile because he'll do any direct to dvd pap these days for an easy buck so I've tried to filter some of that filler out.

Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time.
    Moonrise Kingdom
    0%
    Sunset
    0%
    Die Hard
    0%
    Looper
    0%
    Look Who's Talking
    0%
    Die Hard 2: Die Harder
    0%
    Look Who's Talking Too
    0%
    The Bonfire of the Vanities
    0%
    Mortal Thoughts
    0%
    Hudson Hawk
    0%
    The Expendables 2
    0%
    The Last Boyscout
    0%
    The Player
    0%
    Death Becomes Her
    0%
    Striking Distance
    0%
    Pulp Fiction
    0%
    RED2
    0%
    Rock the Kasbah
    0%
    Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    0%
    Die Hard with a Vengeance
    0%
    Twelve Monkeys
    0%
    Last Man Standing
    0%
    Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
    0%
    The Fifth Element
    0%
    The Jackal
    0%
    Mercury Rising
    0%
    Armageddon
    0%
    The Seige
    0%
    Breakfast of Champions
    0%
    The Sixth Sense
    0%
    The Story of Us
    0%
    The Whole Nine Yards
    0%
    The Kid
    0%
    Unbreakable
    0%
    Bandits
    0%
    Hart's War
    0%
    Death Wish
    0%
    Tears of the Sun
    0%
    The Whole Ten Yards
    0%
    Hostage
    0%
    Sin City
    0%
    Alpha Dog
    0%
    Lucky Number Slevin
    0%
    16 Blocks
    0%
    Over the Hedge
    0%
    Fast Food Nation
    0%
    Grindhouse
    0%
    Perfect Stranger
    0%
    Die Hard 4.0: Live Free or Die Hard
    0%
    Planet Terror
    0%
    The Assassination
    0%
    What Just Happened
    0%
    Surrogates
    0%
    Cop Out
    0%
    The Expendables
    0%
    RED
    0%
    Catch .44
    0%
    Lay the Favourite
    0%
    A Good Day to Die Hard
    0%
    The Cold Light of Day
    0%

Aw, I saw Bruce and thought it was going to be Bruce Campbell. I guess Willis is OKAY but my favourite performances of his are the awkward interviews he does.

Comment

Pretty sure this will be his portrayal of Butch in Pulp Fiction.

It's a chopper.

After looking at the list I changed my mind. Although Bruce was great as Butch, the Malcolm Crowe & Cole Sear interactions made for some great scenes and a film that M. Night Shyamalan has failed to better since.
      Last edited by MartyG; 15-08-2018, 08:27.

Comment

Supes, you've gotta start doing this in chronological order, it's twisting my melon, man.

Agreed, he comes across as a bit of an arse in interviews these days, but we're not discussing that.
        I definitely wouldn't have him over as my celebrity dinner guest!

Loads of films in there that I love like Unbreakable, The 6th Sense, Sin City, The Fifth Element, 12 Monkeys, The Last Boy Scout, Pulp Fiction, Die Hard 2 and even Look Who's Talking ("Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" "Yeah! Lunch!").

However, for me, it's GOT to be Die Hard.

It's such a great film with so many memorable moments to it that I don't need to list, but at the core is Willis' performance.
        I think it works so well because, even though he's a cop, he's an everyman.
        He's tired from his flight, he's upset his wife took her maiden name, he's angry with himself for shouting at her, he's hurtin' when he's picking glass from his feet and talking to Al.

By the end, he's broken and battered, but has one more trick up his sleeve (taped to his back) to save Holly.

I really invested in the character and I was sad that by part 3 he'd split up again with Holly.

Such a perfect storm of a movie, but would the movie have been as good with some of the other actors who turned it down?
        Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Burt Reynolds, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson and Richard Gere!

Comment

I personally would choose The Fifth Element. Firstly because I like the movie, with its whimsical sci-fi stylings, but secondly because I think he's got a great performance in it, and is onscreen most of the time.

I love Die Hard, I think it's fantastic and would be my 2nd, but I can't help but feel he's overshadowed by Alan Rickman. I considered Die Hard 2 for the same reason.

If I had to pick a worst (that I've seen) it'd be Surrogates. Purely because it's the most forgettable movie I've seen him in, and I liked the concept (I generally like transhumanism as a theme).

Comment

Agree with QC... It's simply got to be Die Hard. End of story.

Comment

I keep trying to do these in chronological order but then I hit the 60 options limit and it'd take forever to manually reorder all the entries. Blame the actors!

This was a funny one as there were more solid films on there than I expected, well, until the recent ones. Tell you what, it feels like Loopers impact has failed to last, barely gets mentioned by people these days it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I personally would choose The Fifth Element. Firstly because I like the movie, with its whimsical sci-fi stylings, but secondly because I think he's got a great performance in it, and is onscreen most of the time.
                I like TFE, but it feels like Willis is only a small part of it. He's pretty wooden in it, if I'm honest, just going along with what's happening. He never seems all that excited to be hooking up with the most perfect being or worried that aliens are about to annihilate the Earth.

I'd argue that everyone else's character is more memorable! Milla Jovivich, Chris Tucker, Ian Holm, Gary Oldman and even Lee Evans!

The thing that struck me the most was the amazing efforts Besson went to with the design of the film. I had a brilliant copy of Neon magazine that had loads of pics of the weapons, props and costumes (designed by Gaultier) and I was mesmerised.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I love Die Hard, I think it's fantastic and would be my 2nd, but I can't help but feel he's overshadowed by Alan Rickman. I considered Die Hard 2 for the same reason.
                I don't think Rickman overshadows Willis. He's almost pantomime, which is why he's such a common exceptional baddie.

You can't say Die Hard is worse because Gruber is better than McClane, because Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg is definitely better than Korben Dallas!

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                I keep trying to do these in chronological order but then I hit the 60 options limit and it'd take forever to manually reorder all the entries. Blame the actors!

This was a funny one as there were more solid films on there than I expected, well, until the recent ones. Tell you what, it feels like Loopers impact has failed to last, barely gets mentioned by people these days it feels.
                No excuses. Get it sorted!

Funny you say that about looper, but I've read two articles this week that referenced Looper as one of the best time travel movies.
                In no particular order, these are the best time travel movies of all-time.

I really didn't like it because it tipped me over the edge with too many silly things. Don't get me started.

Comment

Yup, Die Hard. No question.

Comment

I watched Once Upon A Time In Venice a few nights ago. It's baffling how it's so rubbish. John Goodman is in it, too! It's Bruc's fault though. He is clearly phoning it in. He used to be my favourite actor, too.

Um, Die Hard wins this.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      You can't say Die Hard is worse because Gruber is better than McClane, because Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg is definitely better than Korben Dallas!
                      Yeah, very much went with my gut on this one. I always liked Willis's performance in TFE; I found it made good use of his comic timing, and I liked his dynamic with the rest of the cast. It's interesting to note that in the movie, Zorg and Dallas never meet each other, and in the script, it's clear that the two of them are not aware of the other's existence (at least, they don't know the other's role in the story), which is interesting for a protagonist/antagonist.

Just if I was going to watch a Willis film, right now, and could choose from that whole list... Well in truth I'd probably pick one of the ones I haven't seen, but if I had to pick one I have seen it'd be The Fifth Element. Maybe I've just seen Die Hard too many times.

Comment

I went for Die hard. Simple as that.

I liked him in TFE and LWTT too

Comment

The acting in alot of his recent movies has been awful. Saw the Death Wish reboot the other day and its a good return to form; wasnt sure of the move from architect to surgeon for the main character, but it works well. Never really rated him that much though as an top actor.

Comment

You wonder why some actors keep going, doing a slew of straight-to-DVD pap (I'm lookin' at you, De Niro!).
                            Do they really need another couple of mill or is it something else?
                            Boredom?
                            They enjoy the feeling of self-importance with sycophants clucking after them?
                            The need to stay in the limelight?

I'd be like "Do we need another Die Hard, guys? I'm going to just read a few books on my private beach instead, but thanks for asking."

Comment

Complainers be damned, if DH6 turns out like DH4 I'll take it

Comment

Working...
                              X