No announcement yet.

Star Wars 4K, Now with added Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movies shot on 35mm film stock should be fine for 4k and probably 8k too. The “resolution” of film is really quite high bear in mind it was designed to be projected onto a large screen. There’s a lot of benefit even from these old films being reproduced in HDR too. The big cameras with their expensive bright lenses used in film production capture a lot of light and we’ve never really seen it played back accurately in cinemas or on DVD.

Comment

This download is doing my head in, every time i look away from my screen i swear my connection drops, left it overnight and though it would be down, but no a whole 5%!

Comment

Just sign up with a Usenet company for a month and download it. I’m with Easynews. You don’t need a Usenet program, just their website.

Comment

58GB and counting. Reckon it's gonna take 3 hours total. I'm d/loading at 6.8 Megabytes per second. Plugging in ethernet to my laptop took me from 2.4MBs to 6.8

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Movies shot on 35mm film stock should be fine for 4k and probably 8k too. The “resolution” of film is really quite high bear in mind it was designed to be projected onto a large screen. There’s a lot of benefit even from these old films being reproduced in HDR too. The big cameras with their expensive bright lenses used in film production capture a lot of light and we’ve never really seen it played back accurately in cinemas or on DVD.
            We won't get HDR off of film will we? Calling [MENTION=2447]EvilBoris[/MENTION] on this one. We couldn't get (what we now call) HDR on the best photographic still film e.g. Fuji Velvia.

Comment

Film stock have as much as 13-14stops of dynamic range, so similar to that of a professional Digital camera. The biggest issue will be (just like it is for 4K) SFX

Given there have been no HDR displays until recently, it’s unlikely that studios will have wasted artist and render time on pumping out Video with enough overhead for proper HDR grading to occur. Even really recent releases aren’t really very HDR. Gaming is the place to see it.

Comment

Cheers. Why were we blending 2 images to get hdr photos back in the day then? Or using graduated filters to keep sky details? Educate me!

Comment

Same reason we still do now, because it's still not enough to capture the dynamic range of many situations.

Comment

Ok now I’m more confused than I was at the beginning.

Comment

Last edited by kryss; 30-09-2018, 02:25.

Comment

I think I opened a nest of vipers with that question.

But I'm very glad the answer was very complex. Imagine if it gets to a point where the original film stock is seen as too low def.

Comment

I imagine it being remastered to a point thru VR whereby you could practically pause this ish and explore every scene in full VR. I think it would be quite probable within the next ten years.

Comment

Bet you a fiver.

Comment

I'm thinking I turn 44 in December. If I live into my seventies, they could potentially keep milking that nostalgic, Star Wars teat, I might still keep going to the cinema to see Star Wars ish ten years from now when I'm sporting a trilby and Farah slacks.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                Success! I found an old 60GB IDE HDD put the .mkv file on there and used an IDE to USB adaptor. Got it playing on the 1X using the default Xbox Media Player app. Doesn’t seem to like the DTS audio so I’m using audio track 14.
                                The picture is sensational on this release. So much fine detail. I take my hat off to the people behind it they have done a very good job.
                                In stark contrast, a PS4 refuses to play this.

Comment

Working...
                                X