Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We watched Detectorists, which I was convinced I wasn’t going to like. It won me around fairly quickly, mainly through the charm of the central characters and finding their serene, simple rhythms being a nice, sedate antidote to my own slice of modern living. The history angle and some of the storylines didn’t do much for me, and though I wasn’t overly enamoured with how the last season finished, the special that followed made it worse with what felt a bit like a cash-in. Still don’t regret watching it, just think that I’d rather have had it simply spend time with the characters without any need to constantly steer it towards big conclusive outcomes.

Have also just started The Bear Part II - which is off to the races with the same anxious energy as before. Will hold my tongue for now as I suspect we’ll have it finished before long.

Comment

Quite enjoying the Game Of Thrones treatment to Tudor history series Becoming Elizabeth on C4 Saturdays.

Its a very formulaic in it use of sex and painting characters as goodies and baddies. They're playing fast and loose with the real history but there's enough 'truth' at its core not to dismiss the whole thing as preposterous.

Comment

Romped through The Bear Part II over the last two nights and loved it. Maybe not as impactful for me as the first, but still fantastic TV. Having said that, I think 'Fishes' might have been as stressful as 'Review' from season 1!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          We watched Detectorists, which I was convinced I wasn’t going to like. It won me around fairly quickly, mainly through the charm of the central characters and finding their serene, simple rhythms being a nice, sedate antidote to my own slice of modern living. The history angle and some of the storylines didn’t do much for me, and though I wasn’t overly enamoured with how the last season finished, the special that followed made it worse with what felt a bit like a cash-in. Still don’t regret watching it, just think that I’d rather have had it simply spend time with the characters without any need to constantly steer it towards big conclusive outcomes.

Have also just started The Bear Part II - which is off to the races with the same anxious energy as before. Will hold my tongue for now as I suspect we’ll have it finished before long.
          The special annoyed me too, for them to end on a high in that they found their white whale too have it reset in the special felt like very lazy writing, it would of been nice to see Sophie come back as she left on a bit of a down note in series 2.

Comment

I think I'm done with The Witcher. Outside of the three main leads I simply don't understand what anyone's talking about, or what's going on. The last episode was alright from a screenplay perspective, very unique, I just can't remember any of the prior episodes.

Comment

Both Superman and Witcher have wasted Henry Cavil. The guy deserves better.

Comment

Yeah, The Bear Part II is excellent. Think it's a minor shame that the last episode isn't as strong as some of the earlier ones, but that's only a criticism in relative terms, and is more to do with having to immediately put some of those other episodes on an impossibly high pedestal. That there's seemingly a queue of top name acting talent willing to do any bit part in this series says quite a lot to me about how well received the first season was, too. Jaime Lee Curtis in particular, man!

Saw some social media buzz about Greg Wallace's Mystery Meat and was suitably curious, so gave it a watch. I don't want to say too much on it, but I will say it's probably not what you're expecting, and that irrespective of your stance on Wallace, it's worth the < 30 minute watch just so you can enjoy the circus surrounding it. Heck, a distaste for him might even make it more enjoyable.

Haven't watched all of Black Mirror and honestly have found it to be incredibly variable in the past, but we tried the first one in the new series - Joan is Awful - and I was pleasantly surprised. Loads of big names attached to it, but it was definitely the story that carried this rather than the performances. Feels like very convenient timing to watch this in the midst of the current Hollywood labour disputes and strikes.

Comment

Yellowjackets: Season 02
                  This second run was alright but there's an obvious drop off in the quality of the writing. One or two eps standout and it's an enjoyable enough run but it already has an air to it that the plan for five season may be two too many.

Comment

We've just finished apple TV's Buddy comedy series Platonic staring Seth Rogen & Rose Byrne, estranged friends who used to be inseparable in their younger years but drifted apart due to marage kids family and growing up. [Will] Seth Rogen's character is going through a divorce while [Sylvia] Rose Burns character is struggling to fill her days now her kids are all at school as she gave up her career for her family. Their at a point in their lives where they need that friendship again so their rekindled purely platonic relationship makes for a great buddy comedy. Its quite fun watching the chaos unfold as these two people rediscover their purpose and passion for life and share their midlife crisis with each other.

It's quite refreshing how you can have a Male and Female lead and their not be any romantic involvement. Jealousy of their close relationship is explored via Sylvias husband who is more handsome, more successful and just an all-round great guy. Through this they managed to reinforce how their not gonna fall into the trap of you wanting Sylvia and Will to hook up.

Its just a great self contained comedy that feels like its a one and done and leaves you in warm fuzzy place that surprisingly wraps stuff up pretty neatly. They could do a season 2 as theirs still stuff they could explore and it would be nice to see the cast again but its one of them shows that can stand on its own and really doesn't need a season 2.
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 01-08-2023, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      Jaime Lee Curtis in particular, man!
                      Unbelievable performance!

Comment

The Great finished with a great season 3. Superb TV. Makes me want Nicholas Hoult as the next superman.

Comment

It will make some people recoil but the second season of this feels like it heads more into Lost territory. The swing away from the dread of the nightly threat toward that of the mystery feels like a farily big one and like that show I'm not sure that there's much in the way of answers but still lots in the way of new questions. It does however remain a highly watchable and entertaining show, hopefully the next season strikes a more even balance of mystery, answers and action.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            The Great finished with a great season 3. Superb TV. Makes me want Nicholas Hoult as the next superman.
                            So hope Series 3 of The Great is going to be shown on Freeview sometime. If it follows the pattern of the previous two it'll be four to six months later which actually suit me fine, something to look forward to watch in the winter.

Comment

Red Dwarf V
                              Made our way through the next run, looking back on this visit of the show it's really standing out to me as to how commonly the show uses plots that use the central cast rather than other actors ie. alt versions

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                Both Superman and Witcher have wasted Henry Cavil. The guy deserves better.
                                What? He's great as Geralt of Rivia. He really made the character believable and likeable as a movie character. Just like the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X