Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished watching The Power on Prime. Totally cop out ending for the first series. Basically like ending half way through an episode. Nothing wraps up. I was enjoying it till the penultimate episode when I realised it was going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Bates Motel: Season 01
      Enjoyed this and the dynamic created around the central family and its nods to the original film etc but it already feels like it would have worked better as an event series that go to the point faster, there is a huge amount of stretching credibility and the set up to justify being a multi-year show.
      I enjoyed this program, even if it’s a bit soapy. Nothing compares to the shock

sexual assault

of the 1st episode though.

Comment

Citadel: Season 01
        In an era where streaming services are cutting back, this is one where Amazon should pocket the $300m it spends per six episodes. Whilst the idea of an MI like series is good, this is dull as dishwater and other than a few sparing moments doesn't reflect its obscene budget either. Less like a compelling action thriller and more like watching money be burnt on screen.

The Bear: Season 01
        I've heard a lot about how well this is done and I wouldn't disagree with it but never the less it's not for me. Fundamentally there's not enough to it, that the kitchen is a cess pit of toxic behaviour is well known and I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters so will be walking from this one.

Comment

Only Murders in the Building - I watched the first ep of season 3 this week. Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep are both brilliant and fit in perfectly. Great to be back in the Arconia ... I do enjoy this show.

Comment

The Bear: Season 01
            I've heard a lot about how well this is done and I wouldn't disagree with it but never the less it's not for me. Fundamentally there's not enough to it, that the kitchen is a cess pit of toxic behaviour is well known and I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters so will be walking from this one.
            I couldn't cope with it either, far to chaotic and noisy it was like an assault on your senses, i got through about half an episode before thinking nope its not for me.

A show i have been enjoying is Big boys on C4 its part autobiography and is loosely based on comedian Jack Rooke's time at university with his best friend Danny. It's funny, tender, profound sad but also happy at the same time. It's a comedy but has some absolutely heart breaking moment, it explores the relationship of its two main characters brilliantly, and focuses on Jack trying to fit in as a gay teen and coming to terms with the death of his dad and Danny trying to fix his mental health and **** homelife/upbringing. It's a bit inbertweeners in places as its not afraid to be a bit silly and crass but as a small 6 part series its perfect for a binge one evening or watched over a few nights.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 23-08-2023, 12:42.

Comment

Had not noticed that Freeview Pick TV (Ch.36) is repeating the short lived sci-fi - ish series Alphas at 10pm weekdays.

Caught the second episode after watching the latest episode of whatever series of The Rookie, another one I've come to late and enjoy, that they're showing too.

So tonight it looks like I have my TV watch nicely sorted out again with another old series but one I've never seen: Seal Team followed by Alphas.

Comment

Doctor Who: Series 04
                Finally got the kids through to the end of the Tennant era, still hard to imagine they'll ever top this run

Comment

Meant to mention this last week that I really did not like the BBC WW2 set series World On Fire which ended last Sunday.

Apparently it was the second series; not sure how I missed the first as WW2 stuff usually interests me but this was just a number of barely integrated stories featuring characters you just could have given a damn about.

That sort of thing has been done so much better before with more engaging characters. Off the top of my head I can think of the ancient, overly-glossy US series Winds Of War from Herman Wouk's novel or even the venerable Aussie soap The Sullivans. The latter was at its best switching between WW2 home front and the front line storylines.

Along with some of the historically questionable elements that annoyed this was just a patchwork mess and often technically sub-par with the location green screen CGI very obvious even looking more like old school back projection at times.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 26-08-2023, 15:47.

Comment

Alphas was cool. I wish it had wrapped up properly

Comment

Started The Sopranos again. Probably my fifth viewing. Four eps in. Still the best thing ever made.

Comment

That sounds like a very, very good idea.

Comment

Yellowjackets: Season 02
                          This second run was alright but there's an obvious drop off in the quality of the writing. One or two eps standout and it's an enjoyable enough run but it already has an air to it that the plan for five season may be two too many.
                          Late to the party, but I just watched the first two series and I thought S2 was far better than the first. Thanks largely to the death of one character in particular, they ditched the teenage girl drama in favour of some ****ed up ****, which is exactly what I hoped for. I was about to ditch it after S1. It's beyond ridiculous, but very entertaining.

They really should wrap it up after S3. We surely know all the survivors now, and can guess what happened to the rest.

Comment

I'm waiting for it to go full on Lost - "We have to go back to the Forest!"

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Started The Sopranos again. Probably my fifth viewing. Four eps in. Still the best thing ever made.
                              Great show. We watched Lilleyhammer recently. I recommend it if you like sopranos. Different show obviously, but yet the same, but different etc

Comment

By chance caught it on bbc2 while flicking through channels while waiting on my tea to cook.

Starts with 20 mins of Lord of the Rings, abit of Harry potter, starwars, My Neighbour Totoro, few Tv shows and from games just Warcraft. Fair warning the male presenter is a cringe factory.

Comment

Working...
                                X