Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it's easy to see why The Conjuring 2 took a lot of liberty with the story and it's nice how they incorporate and work around the notion that she was lying about it but that's very much out of necessity too. She's very transparent.

Red Dwarf XII
    Actually think this one is slightly better than XI and overall the best run of the 20XX series.

Red Dwarf XIII: The Promised Land
    Third time seeing it and it improved again but is still a big drop off from the prior three series, too much of a stride back toward Back to Earth.

Silo: Season 01
    Rebecca Ferguson is an engineer who gets caught up in trying to work out who killed her lover. The kicker is that she lives within an underground Silo along with 10,000 where the outside world is believed to be a radiated wasteland and a cover up leads to a cover up... Despite being 10 episodes long it sags in the middle, drawing itself out too much but manages to pull itself back towards the end so we'll give the second season a go.

Comment

Now the cold weather is kicking in I fancied a bit of Scandi noir and started The Bridge. 2 eps in and I'm liking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Yep, it's easy to see why The Conjuring 2 took a lot of liberty with the story and it's nice how they incorporate and work around the notion that she was lying about it but that's very much out of necessity too. She's very transparent.

Red Dwarf XII
        Actually think this one is slightly better than XI and overall the best run of the 20XX series.

Red Dwarf XIII: The Promised Land
        Third time seeing it and it improved again but is still a big drop off from the prior three series, too much of a stride back toward Back to Earth.

Silo: Season 01
        Rebecca Ferguson is an engineer who gets caught up in trying to work out who killed her lover. The kicker is that she lives within an underground Silo along with 10,000 where the outside world is believed to be a radiated wasteland and a cover up leads to a cover up... Despite being 10 episodes long it sags in the middle, drawing itself out too much but manages to pull itself back towards the end so we'll give the second season a go.
        It's the supporting cast that ruin Promissed land for me. They come off as cheap theater actors. Well, everyone besides the cat king / leader.

Comment

With all of the upset over the IP causing delays, I'm really hoping they abandon long form specials. 35 years in it's time they admit they don't work

Comment

Doctor Who: Series 07
            Kids finally finished up Matt Smith's era, the second he regenerated they pretty much summed up the shallow issue the show walked straight into 'ugh! He's old now! I don't want to watch this Doctor!'

Comment

We started watching The Shrink Next Door on apple tv Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell star in this dramatization of what happens when a shrink gets too Embedded in your life. We had to give up on it though as its far to slow, it's pretty depressing and it feels like they dragged it out over a ten episode run when they could of done it in half the time, its intresting how Rudds character takes over Ferrells life and controls him over a number of decades, but its not ten hours of TV interesting.

Curiosity get the better of me and i looked up info on the person this show is based on

when you realize how much of his life he lost to this person its absolutely heart breaking and for Rudds character to get no real comeuppance in real life and no jail time for what he did is a real miscarriage of the justice system his license to practice was only revoked in 2021 so its still pretty recent

Last edited by Lebowski; 15-11-2023, 16:12.

Comment

Free Sky Mix finished whatever season it was of The Rookie which I quite enjoy and replaced it with The Equalizer.

Wish they had not. Everything about it is just wrong or bad or both.

When you think about the original old Edward Woodward UK original, its decent reboot in the US and then the not brilliant but watchable, thanks to Denzel Washington, films and then you're served this sub-par stuff it makes you wonder why they bothered.

But apparently somebody likes it as it is on its third season in the US. They're welcome to it.

Comment

Chucky: Season 03 Part One
                  In need of rewinning the favour of the demon that allows him to possess dolls, Chucky sets out to commit six murders in the most evil house in America - choosing the White House. The second half is still waiting filming because of the strikes so this is brisk at 4 episodes however it's still something of a drag. To be honest, the main problem is that very little of interest happens. The setting means there's zero of the horror sensibilities whilst the humour is largely absent also. There's a very strained effort to keep the core cast involved but really the series has reached a point where it's time it moved on past them and on to new ground.

The Fall of the House of Usher
                  Kind of okay but still an incredibly long way from the bar that Haunting of Hill House set all those years ago

Comment

Re-watched the 1999 TV movie version of Dicken's A Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart as Scrooge yesterday.

I've seen it twice before and really enjoyed it, this time no different. A great British supporting cast which includes Richard E. Grant, Saskia Reeves, Ian McNeice, Celia Imrie, Liz Smith amongst others.

If you can ignore the ageing special effects this is an otherwise timeless piece of quality literary adaptation.

Comment

Sex Education: Season 03
                      It remains comfortably distanced from the more fun set up in the first season and to be honest the Ross & Racheling of Otis and Maeve is annoying as well but overall we enjoyed this run of the show. The humour is less frequent but the feels are dialled up again. Most characters get good development, I think the only one who is a little less likeable in the run is Eric who teeters harder on being an attention seeker though this does add nicely to the well handled development of Adam.

Comment

Sly
                        After the Arnie one I assumed we'd get similar for this but whilst there are some insights to be gleamed and Stallone is shown to be perhaps a more complex figure, this is a very surface level look at his life with film used to maintain distance from ever really getting into specifics about his history. The one thing that is very clear is the level of importance Rocky plays in his life, not just from career standpoint, it clearly stands out far above his other films with the sixth being held as his proudest achievement and the franchise acting as an outlet for the life he wished he'd lived.

Comment

Scott Pilgrim takes off, Netflixs new Anime adaption of the comic book which was also a movie, retains the original cast of the movie so we have Michael Cera, Aubrey Plaza, Anna Kendrick, and Chris Evans doing the voice work, packed full of video game and pop culture Easter Eggs its a joy to watch but...

its not an adaption of the movie or the book but something new and spends 80% of the run time focused on Ramona as the main character. its brilliant as it explores the amazing cast of characters and over the ten episode run gives them time to shine. Id be lying if i said i didn't want a more fleshed out version of the comic books as it skipped a lot in the movie but as a video game and comic book fan its still packed full of great stuff

They have done a cracking job and me and my daughter binged it over a few nights and i will be watching it again to see what else i can spot as its defiantly worth a re-watch.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 23-11-2023, 16:16.

Comment

Ghosts: Series 01
                            Had heard good things and the best way I can put it is it's likeable. Enough for us to continue but never 'funny' with a big gulf in the cast as to who is suited to it and who can questionably even act well

Comment

Bates Motel: Season 02
                              The missus is a backer of the show so we're already deep into S3 at the point of writing. But the second season was utter guff, a very dull retread of the first season highlighting how little mileage there is to the concept.

Comment

Slow Horses is back on. Off to a good start with the first two episodes!

Comment

Working...
                                X