Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Winds. Some of the writing and acting is truly awful, but it was watchable enough and will hopefully up it's game in season two as there were some good things about it.

Comment

Bates Motel: Season 03
      Jesus, I'm amazed this gained the traction it did. If the second season was dull then the third is essentially a tired retread of the first season. It's once again essentially a complete rehash of the same plots. There's only two seasons left so we'll carry on at some point but this really is a dull show.

Comment

Peacemaker: Season 01
        Just a rewatch, still good

Comment

Sex Education: Season 04
          I'm trying not to think too much about it because too many of the storylines were either bad or poorly handled. The final season has some decent moments throughout but it's something of a hollow shell of the prior three and does several characters disservices with things wrapping up in a not that satisfying or consistent way. Woudl have been better in hindsight if they'd walked away after the third run.

Comment

Caught two old (1980s) BBC Arena 'arts' documentaries on BBC4 last night. One a biography of the silent film era 'screen goddess' and style icon Louise Brooks. A long time favourite of my own I'd discovered her years before this documentary through my interest in photography, photographic history and Hollywood studio photographers.

From 1979: With unself-pitying acuity, a screen icon whose career ended with enigmatic suddenness recalls the highs and lows of moviemaking in the silent era.

I'd seen this documentary before but was well worth seeing again as it charted her extraordinary career from initial obscurity to her cinematic heyday and then downhill slide back into obscurity and drunken poverty. She was then rediscovered, rehabilitated and ended up an intelligent, cynical and insightful writer about the studio system and people she knew and worked with during her time in the business.

The second, a wider scope documentary, also about 'screen goddesses' but from the silent film era to the 1960s, was less detailed but equally fascinating.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 12-12-2023, 15:10. Reason: typos

Comment

Had no idea what Back to Life (iPlayer + Netflix) was before I watched it, and it was quite disarmingly good. Don't want to say too much, but a woman is released from a lengthy prison stay back into a sleepy town full of eccentrics where she now has to try and pick up the pieces of her life. Has some unrealistic moments, and does jump about a bit between silly and actually quite dark, but it also totally blindsided me. Genuine laughs as well as heartfelt moments. Whoever was on soundtrack duty also clearly has a soft spot for Elisabeth Fraser, which won a few points with me.

Comment

The Continental
                Well. **** me. This was ****. Three episodes and there would barely be enough story for one, and even that one episode wouldnt' be great. Despite the title it's focus is on Winston, and I say that liberally as other than wearing a cravat there's little in common between the depiction here and of Lovejoy in the films. The action isn't close to Wick's and the whole thing confirms the big mistake in judgment the franchise heads have made - that the 'world' of assassin's isn't actually interesting at all. Even if it were, the thought that's gone into expanding it is no greater than if a 12 year old had penned it. If Ballerina doesn't stand out strongly the entire spin-off concept should die for the franchise because if this is what we should expect then we arrive back where we were with the first films release - Wick is Reeves

Comment

Fargo Season 5. An incredible return to form. Essential TV.

Foundation. Excellent SciFi. Awesome writing and mostly good performances. Based on some Asimov novels. Goes to show that if you have good source material...

Obliterated. Got 5 minutes in on this one. Utter dog ****.

Reacher Season 2. Off to a cracking start. Excellent line from Robert Patrick in episode 1.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Had no idea what Back to Life (iPlayer + Netflix) was before I watched it, and it was quite disarmingly good. Don't want to say too much, but a woman is released from a lengthy prison stay back into a sleepy town full of eccentrics where she now has to try and pick up the pieces of her life. Has some unrealistic moments, and does jump about a bit between silly and actually quite dark, but it also totally blindsided me. Genuine laughs as well as heartfelt moments. Whoever was on soundtrack duty also clearly has a soft spot for Elisabeth Fraser, which won a few points with me.
                    we really enjoyed that too Daisy Haggard is excellent in it.

We've been watching another show with her in called Breeders on sky which is a UK Comedy/Drama about a couple living in London and bringing up two children. Martin freeman plays her husband, and it's a hard to watch at times as his character has some serious anger issues. The show doesn't shy away from showing how he ****s up his family by not keeping himself in check so it may be a bit triggering for some. It's a good show though with a great cast.
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 22-12-2023, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Just started it myself. 1 ep in it's great already ... feels back in proper Fargo'y territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Just started it myself. 1 ep in it's great already ... feels back in proper Fargo'y territory.
                        That accent is very comforting I find.

Comment

This was broadcast last year apparently but they repeated it last night on BBC2: The Detectorists Christmas Special.

Not a particular fan of the series as this, undoubtedly high quality, comedy was almost too melancholic for my taste but this special episode hit my mood very nicely. Poignant but funny; although I'd guessed the final twist in the tale long before the end the way it was done was just perfect.

Comment

I really liked Obliterated. It’s cheesy nonsense, totally absurd, unashamedly stupid and in fairly bad taste. The moment I accepted that, it enjoyed it immensely. It’s by the Cobra Kai people, so you’re going to get trite drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Thanks for the tip, had no idea this was back. Didn’t ever watch season 4, but the rest was great.

Comment

Having got Paramount+ to watch the new Frasier (not awful but not great at all), I finally watched all of Strange New Worlds and Star Trek Discovery Season 4. Strange New Worlds is absolutely fantastic and it's easily my favourite Trek show in years. It's so much fun and tells great self-contained stories. Everything just works. Discovery was a total stinker. I was cringing in places.

Also watched Slow Horses. I enjoyed it. Gary Oldman is so good in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X