This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I hadn’t realised season 9 was a short season. Done now. I need another good sitcom. Maybe I’ll rewatch all of Brooklyn Nine Nine next.
    We seem to be going through the sitcom ringer these last few years as my teenage daughter who has Autism is fixated on US sitcoms, we've been through the following multiple times, Friends, Brooklyn Nine Nine, How I met your mother, Parks and Recreation, The US Office and Modern family. We are currently on New Girl, which was Funny at the start but has contracted Simpsons disease in that It's really lost its way, and leaned far too much into making the characters the most extreme versions of themselves, for this reason I'd skip anything after season 2. out of the above, though I'd say parks and rec and the US office stand up well to repeat viewings, conversely I now can't stand How I met your mother now.

For my own viewings, we've Been on a bit of a binge of Channel 4 shows recently,

Queenie surprised me how much heart it had and is an excellent look at family's and how they can really mess you up, but also help you out. it's follows a 20 something young black woman working and living in London, and is a great piece of drama.

We Are Lady Parts season one was pretty funny and an interesting look into Asian culture and stereotypes. It follows a 20 something marriage obsessed second generation Muslim woman, whose world is turned upside down when she ends up helping out an all female punk band in a hilarious fish out of water scenario.

On Amazon we have been watching The Boys season 4 gross funny and top political satire. i love how they have gone after how mainstream movements like Qanon have got in America and how it really does feel like things have got to boiling point with weaponised misinformation, Religion and patriotism all used to create this cult of personality.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 18-06-2024, 12:53.

Comment

Played some Sifu and my heart was racing so, I thought I'd watch something lighter and chose an episode of Mr. Inbetween (D+) but it ended up being so so dark.
      Great telly and recommended, but there's all sorts of tones to the plot.

Onto the 2nd series of Outlaws (BBC iPlayer). I'm still enjoying it and the expansion of the character backgrounds, but it's a bit shark-jumpy in that all the characters are getting involved in worse and worse crimes. It's only a comedy, but if it's asking for empathy, it's a tough ask at times.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I thought I'd watch something lighter and chose an episode of Mr. Inbetween (D+) but it ended up being so so dark.
        Great telly and recommended, but there's all sorts of tones to the plot.
        I'd never heard of this so watched the first ep last night. Then the second and third. Very good. Glad to be getting some value from Dis+ ... good shout!

Comment

It's amazing, but a real mixed bag of emotions, but in a good way.

Those final 2 eps of S1 are amazing.
          I laughed so hard in one of the S2 eps that I called my wife in and we watched the scene together, hiding through our fingers, cringing!

Last couple have been tough-going, but in a way that shows the depth to the stories and character.

Comment

Race Across the World: Series 01
            Decided to give this a punt and it was a fun watch. Fascinating to see how close it is and how far you can still get for so little though it feels like you get to see very little of the places they visit.

Comment

Wanting a bit of easy late night viewing I picked up a couple of tv boxsets of shows I've never seen. I was wanting a typical Buffy-style network set-up of 'monster of the week' with a mild season arc thrown in. So yeah, I got the complete X-Files and Supernatural sets. I watched X-Files season 1 first. I love some of the themes and the main characters are class but it's clunky and uneven. I want to believe it gets better, heh Then I switched to season 1 of Supernatural. I'm liking this so far. Defo appeals to the Buffy fan in me.

Comment

Not seen S1 of Race Across The World. I think the format has changed a little, but all the other series have been great, so will double-back to this eventually.

Always meant to watch Supernatural, but there's about a zillion seasons.
                I fear it was too long and by the 47th season, they're out of ideas and changing what you initially liked about the characters, if you use Buffy as a reference.

Comment

Supernatural is a very up and down journey though there's always entertainment to be had in each run thanks to the leads. Seasons 1-5 are good, 6 is a tad more wonky, 7 is the weakest, 8 and 9 improve, 10-13 are decent as long as you're fully in for the ride at that point, 14 is wonky as the budget gets smaller and 15 is very uneven with a bit of a damp ending due to Covid mostly. However, it does seem they're keen on reviving it for Season 16 at some point soon so more road to go.

Comment

Scrubs: Season 03
                    For the first half it's a fairly by the numbers season but close to the midpoint things really start to step up, the obvious ep everyone loves feels like a moment where they clicked they could go deeper with the concept.

Comment

Working...
                    X