This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the first season of Xfiles.
    It hasn't aged badly at all and I think it shows how much ahead of its time it maybe was. Characters are well written and fleshed out and the scripts carry the episodes even if the monster of the week story is silly.
    Its nice to watch a show that's quite casual as well. The episodes don't link other than recurring characters or themes, and that's a nice change from the shows mainly round now were one episode follow on from the last.
    Stand out episode for me: 'Beyond the sea' . Brad Dourif is on top form.

On to season 2...

Comment

Line of Duty!

Comment

I've been watching Mr Robot. I had never seen it before. I'm a good bit into season 2. It's kind of a crazy show and it's one where I'm very much loving the journey regardless of where it goes, although I do hope it comes together or at least tells me what happened at the end of season 1! The sense of paranoia is fantastic and, while I know very little about the hacking world other than what Cory Doctorow tells me, this feels very true to the stuff that Cory Doctorow tells me... just taken further for fiction. I'm really liking it.

The only one negative part in the entire run so far was the opening of one episode that did a sitcom pastiche and it was painful. I almost skipped the episode because I thought the whole thing was going to be like that. Thankfully it wasn't but it closed the book on my debate about whether to watch WandaVision or not.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Line of Duty!
          How on earth did the cast get through that with a straight face?

"This is the jizz handler?"

Jizz everywhere. Hilarious. 5 stars.

Comment

that's all we could focus on when catching up with it last night too.

First ep was solid, I feel they're over playing the new female character boss

Comment

After watching Parks and Rec twice I've been working my way through The Office US. Should definitely have seen this sooner. Hasn't quite felt the same since Steve Carell left though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                After watching Parks and Rec twice I've been working my way through The Office US. Should definitely have seen this sooner. Hasn't quite felt the same since Steve Carell left though.
                The Steve Carell episodes are great, his character is a lot more likeable than Ricky Gervais take on a bumbling boss, when they moved out of the recycled story-lines from the uk stuff it really hit its stride. A lot of it is just warm fuzzy tv, Parks and Rec is a show that really hits its stride after a few season too with a great cast of really likable characters.

Catherine Tate is where the office massively takes a nose dive i was so glad when they removed her as the boss, James Spader is fantastic though they should of just had him and Andy running the office as that dynamic worked and they should of stuck with it a bit longer and just not bothered with Tate.

Comment

Watching Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, having been bullied into it by their social media strategy on Twitter. It’s a solid 7/10 so far, though I hope it doesn’t drift into people-who-go-off-their-meds-are-killers territory. Basic premise: psychiatrist has affair with single mother behind his suspiciously weird wife’s back.

Comment

Brotherhood: The Inner Life of Monks

This was on BBC Four last night. A programme about Mount St Bernard Abbey monastery and the community of monks who live and work there. An odd watch, quite interesting in parts, boring in others. Most of the monks at the monastery are over 80 years old, in failing health and nearing death so it frequently felt like looking into an old people's home. They seemed a happy group though; even those in poor health had a certain cheer and mental openness which is rare to see even in young, healthy men, let alone old men in failing health. It was their attitude to death which really impressed me though. They faced it square on and accepted it as the natural order. No pretense, no fear, no pushing it to the back of their minds. They accepted it despite loving life... and that's rather beautiful.

Comment

DRAGONS' DEN is back. I'm sooooooo happy, now. It's on great form.

Peter Jones really went in on a very nice bidder, early on. Unfairly. Out of character. He was bullying her too much (she was a tad naive but didn't deserve that treatment). And he's dyed his hair ginger. I think he's undergoing a breakdown, behind the scenes?

(mark my words)

Touker and Deborah and Tej are my faves. Touker the cool dood, Debs the sexy, brainy GILF vamp, Tej the solid, logical, smart one.

What a team.

Comment

If you mean the hobby art materials/master class seller then I disagree. Peter Jones was spot on - the pack she was supplying for £25/month was pathetic. That's £300/year and I was thinking at the time just how much it would buy you if you went to a proper art shop. You could get a good quality 50 sheet A4 water colour pad plus a full water colour paint set and still have change left over from £25.

The teaching element of the package, as shown: dubious value IMHO. It looked as If all you're doing is effectively tracing from a print or off a screen like DM did in literally a few minutes. You can do that yourself. You don't need tutoring.

Not a viable business.

Comment

Been making good use of our Disney+ sub for a change.

Finished Mandalorian season 2. Loved it. And so glad I stayed away from spoilers ... I was practically cheering at the end Looking forward to whatever comes next.

I watched the first episode of WandaVision. I'm pretty clueless on the Marvel-verse but thoroughly enjoyed ep 1 of this. Such an idea could so easily go stale after 5 minutes but the writing is top notch, as is pretty much everything else. Be interesting how it plays out but what a great first impression.

And lastly, watched a couple of eps of Big Sky. This feels like the service trying to be edgy. It's pretty by the numbers but also pretty watchable too.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                            If you mean the hobby art materials/master class seller then I disagree. Peter Jones was spot on - the pack she was supplying for £25/month was pathetic. That's £300/year and I was thinking at the time just how much it would buy you if you went to a proper art shop. You could get a good quality 50 sheet A4 water colour pad plus a full water colour paint set and still have change left over from £25.

The teaching element of the package, as shown: dubious value IMHO. It looked as If all you're doing is effectively tracing from a print or off a screen like DM did in literally a few minutes. You can do that yourself. You don't need tutoring.

Not a viable business.
                            I thought he fried her a bit *too* much, it's not like she was horrible or anything, he just smashed into her!!!

I was analysing the taut, wrinkled scowl he had on his chops as he dipped her into his deep fat frier. Pure pain, twisted into anger,

Yeah, it was a bloody stupid idea (the pencil/pad pricing, espesh!!!) but it was like he was Palpers electrifying Luke at the end of ROTJ!!!

I sense problems in his private life are to blame. It's either the prostrate or the anus that's giving him gyp and he's giving it a voice, manifesting it via angriness and lairiness.

But you're right, it was a TERRIBLE business. I could show you a shop where you can get all those components for 40p and you'd probs have more paper to draw on. Incredibly naive stuff.

Can't wait for next ep. Love DD.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                              Watching Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, having been bullied into it by their social media strategy on Twitter. It’s a solid 7/10 so far, though I hope it doesn’t drift into people-who-go-off-their-meds-are-killers territory. Basic premise: psychiatrist has affair with single mother behind his suspiciously weird wife’s back.
                              I bingewatched this with the missus and, despite being far-fetched, found it to be really gripping, right to the very end, although don't overthink it!

Comment

Sadly, since early 2010 (when it first started), I've pretty much watched most of FOUR IN A BED.

Can't believe I've been watching this ish for eleven years. Most hate.

Yaaaa, just me and my strangeness. But it's all badass.

Comment

Working...
                                X