Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the new-ish Zappa documentary on BBC4 made by the guy who was in Bill and Ted. It's alright, some cool archival footage but nothing new or revelatory at all. As a long-time Zappaphile I was looking forward to it and I think the director could have done more with the access he got. As it stands it's another fairly conventional run-through, i.e. Zappa was an acerbic genius workaholic with a ruthless streak...

Comment

[duplicate post: apologies]

Comment

Watched the first season of Marcella. I quite liked it, but it did get a touch silly. Folks are being blackmailed every five minutes, there's red herrings and loose ends all over the shop, and generally I feel like it didn't need half as much going on as it had to keep things interesting. Think we'll carry on with the other seasons, but hopefully it calms down a little.

Comment

Workin' Moms: Season 06
          The penultimate season and broadly an improvement on the last two. It's only toward the very end that there's any sense that things might be headed to an ending and the show still has a massive - MASSIVE - problem with missing characters. Literal main characters have completely vanished and the show doesn't even acknowledge it, at this point it's incredibly distracting and would be a poor show if the final season doesn't address it.

Russian Doll: Season 02
          This season has a slightly different spin on the time concept which begins more conventionally than the prior Groundhog Day style approach. It takes a little more time to get going and build the intrigue but not too long as it's only 7 episodes long in total. In the end it's a really decent follow up run from the first one.

Comment

Loved C4's The Great last night - they put it on later than usual probably because it was fantastically violent, smutty, yet still really funny and even managed to be poignant at times.

There's nothing else like it on terrestrial TV.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              Watched the first season of Marcella [...] we'll carry on with the other seasons, but hopefully it calms down a little.
              This most certainly did not happen. We're onto the third season now, and despite still trying to be all gritty and serious, it is really quite preposterous, and often daft.

Comment

I've started watching Suits for some reason. I'm really liking it, I think I was put off somewhat by thinking "oh that's the show with Megan Markle, meh" but I'm glad I gave it a go.

Comment

The Foo Fighters Taylor Hawkins tribute Concert was streamed in various places over the weekend live form Wembley and it was amazing to see so many bands turn up and play and collaborate, it made for a compelling watch, Queen, Supergrass, Liam Gallagher, Queens of the Stoneage, Them crooked vultures, AC-DC, Rush ect.

That all the bands had a personal connection with Taylor made it feel like a real celebration, for example I wasn't aware how big a fan of supergrass he was or that they toured with the Foo-fighter when they where starting out. The clip they showed of Taylor playing live with supergrass where he upped the tempo to ten times the speed was pretty funny to watch. Some real tearjeker moments too like Taylors son coming on stage to play with the foos on his dads drum kit it rounded off a host of quest drummers from the likes of Metalica, Blink 182 ect

Last edited by Lebowski; 05-09-2022, 13:51.

Comment

I originally planned to get tickets, then watch it streamed with some mates, then at home and eventually, I just dipped in because of life.

I skipped Liam because he's a twat and then probably got a few hours in before having to stop.

Tried to watch some more last night, but doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere, yet.

It was a mixed bag and it feels you can't be overly critical because of the reason for the show, but what I saw was a lovely reflection of Taylor's passion for music.

I'm plugging away at From (NowTV) and Only Murders ITB (D+). The former has one episode to go, but somebody stupid thought letting the monsters in would be perfectly fine (it wasn't). The latter is a bit of a chore, to be honest.

Comment

I loved only murders. Season 2 not so much

Comment

Finished off S1 of From (NowTV) and it was OK.

As Neon said (thanks for the suggestion, by the way), it's got dem LOST vibes, especially in that the show finishes by asking more questions than actually answering.

I'll watch S2, if it gets made, but they probably need to work hard to retain my attention with a bit more guidance because resolving one issue to present you with another three is frustrating, rather than suspenseful, IMHO.

(Just looked and there's a S2 planned)

I now need to decide if I'm going to start another show or focus on games/films for a bit.

EDIT: I tried to watch the Dave eps of Red Dwarf via the PS4, but I think the UKTV Play app is only on browsers now. Just looked and even that jumps from S4 to S10!

I watched the last episode of the previous season of Rick & Morty, ready for the new season that's starting (All4), but man, it's pretty dark. I couldn't tell you what the kill count is for the episode as it's basically a zillion different versions of R&M being killed for various reasons.

It's funny how some people miss the message in these things and add Rick to their list of "cool guys I wanna be like" alongside Tyler Durden, Patrick Bateman, Travis Bickle and Tony Montana.
                        It's getting increasingly hard to like him though with each passing season.
                        Last edited by QualityChimp; 07-09-2022, 08:26.

Comment

I’ve been quite enjoying Sprung from Greg Garcia, the writer behind Raising Hope and My Name Is Earl. It’s very much in the same vein, but I like his stuff so I’m not complaining.

Watched the first two episodes of Rings Of Power​, not exactly blown away by it but we’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Well call me the win to Colin’s wang because I was blown away by the Rings of Power.

It apes a lot of stuff from the films, like aerial flybys, but it’s got its own style and it’s a visual feast.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Finished off S1 of From (NowTV) and it was OK.

As Neon said (thanks for the suggestion, by the way), it's got dem LOST vibes, especially in that the show finishes by asking more questions than actually answering.

I'll watch S2, if it gets made, but they probably need to work hard to retain my attention with a bit more guidance because resolving one issue to present you with another three is frustrating, rather than suspenseful, IMHO.

Yep, with its episode count it doesn't outstay its welcome but like you say Season 2 will likely be where it either swings towards something stronger or falls apart. Embracing the horror and keeping things relatively simple will be key, rather than pursuing the mystery box stuff hard. I'm hoping that because it's a show done on a much smaller network and scale than Lost that they'll reign themselves in and we'll get the former as the risk of cancellation will always be much higher for From

Comment

Kobra Kai is back!

Comment

Working...
                                X