Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 3 of The Last of Us was so good I watched it twice. It’s like a mini film. Hit home with my boys too … youngest said it’s the first thing he’s watched that made him really think about how it feels to

grow old with someone

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Episode 3 of The Last of Us was so good I watched it twice.
      I wanted to ask about this! I really liked it too, but as someone who's not played the game, I was really curious about how (if?) this particular story was handled.

Oh and we're finally on to the last season of The Good Wife. I'm really done with the show now and will be very glad when it's over; there are still good moments every now and again, but it's also has moments where it feels like it's becoming a sodding pantomime.

Comment

We finished off Extraordinary (D+) and loved it.
        The final episode was great and tied up some loose ends and then CLIFFHANGER!
        (Not the Stallone film)
        I hope they make another series, but they need to make Jen (Máiréad Tyers) a bit more consistent. It was hard to cheer for her at times as she's a bit rubbish to her mates, but I guess the point is that she's human and also needs to develop.

Got to give a mention to Sofia Oxenham as Carrie, as her character is very gentle and non-confrontational, but her power is speaking to the dead and in those moments, it's totally believable that she's playing two different characters with some really clever scenes where she's having a conversation with a dead person and you totally go along that it's two people.

We watched The Last of Us (NowTV) S1E3 last night and it was as great as rational people say.
        Ignore the people reviewbombing aggregate sites that the characters are gay or complaining that the actor is not gay, just enjoy the tale.
        I would say its biggest accomplishment is also its biggest issue in that it really does feel like a mini movie, as Atticus says, but it also doesn't feel part of the TLoU story as a whole, the real-world threats of mushroom monsters and raiders seemed a far away concept for nearly all of the episode.

However, that's nitpicking on a beautiful slice of televisual storytelling.

It made me cry but mainly because:

it made me think of my own Dad at the end of his life, unable to do anything without Mom.
        Literally, he couldn't even feed himself, so even Frank had a better time of it in the show.
        So, the issue of ending your life on your own terms was a very moving one to me.
        It touched on themes a you'd never think a show based on an apocalyptic monster game would.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 06-02-2023, 13:56. Reason: Bold

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          We finished off Extraordinary (D+) and loved it.

I hope they make another series, [/SPOILER]

They renewed it a fortnight ago

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            I wanted to ask about this! I really liked it too, but as someone who's not played the game, I was really curious about how (if?) this particular story was handled
            It’s really quite different in the game.

Iirc the relationship is only alluded to. You never encounter Frank alive and the whole tone of their story is rather more bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              I wanted to ask about this! I really liked it too, but as someone who's not played the game, I was really curious about how (if?) this particular story was handled.

Oh and we're finally on to the last season of The Good Wife. I'm really done with the show now and will be very glad when it's over; there are still good moments every now and again, but it's also has moments where it feels like it's becoming a sodding pantomime.
              Last couple seasons of the Good Wife I thought were really subpar/poor. I too was glad when it was done.

Comment

The Last of Us: Episode 04
                Solid stuff, it always feels like a very self aware moment as a viewer when a sequence mirrors the game so closely. I think I've become conditioned by the amount of adaptations that change the content. The character stuff between Ellie and Joel was good including a few lines carried over from the game, they seem to move along quickly which hopefully remains the case as the other characters bits start to feel Walking Dead way too easily.

Comment

Finished Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. Skilfully animated and exuberantly coloured, but - in terms of plot and action - it's relentless excessiveness was it's worst failing. By episode two you've seen everything it has to offer.

Comment

Currently watching The World's Most Secret Hotels (via All4) and it's fascinating. Some are indulgent, others use the unique environment, others repurpose old buildings.

I think you'd love it [MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION]!

Comment

Who decides to build those things?!

Who decides to go on holiday to them?!

And why won't people stop building structures on the edge of a cliff edge?!

Comment

That is genuinely part of the charm of the show trying to deduce the perfect storm of how these hotels exist.
                        It's part Travel Man and part Grand Designs.

At the end of the show, the wife and I decide which of the hotels featured we would most like to stay in.

Our fave on last night's ep was the TWA Hotel.

Comment

Watched the first episode of 1923 on C5 earlier and quite enjoyed its sprawling epic-ness which for various reasons covers several genres at once. It appears to be both an early 20th century western, dealing with range wars between cattlemen and sheep farmers, and also an African safari/hunting expedition which even manages to shoehorn in a sprinkling of brutal US WW1 combat too via a dream/nightmare sequence.

Problem is that this looks to be another Paramount+ marketing exercise, broadcasting just one taster episode tempting Freeview viewers to sign up to be able to watch the rest of the box set.

So that's it for me - one moderately entertaining episode and the rest I'll probably never see. Am I bothered? No.
                          Last edited by fallenangle; 10-02-2023, 00:01.

Comment

Watched an episode of Travel Man (All4) and the new host is Joe Lycett and I think it works a lot better.
                            He's got enough cynicism to laugh at the tourist attractions, but not so much that you wonder why he's even there like Richard Ayoade, whom I love, but got bored of his relentless inability to enjoy any of the visits.

Also, Joe is more up for a laugh and in this episode he made himself look silly in a wetsuit and later on, falling off a skateboard.

You know the format, though and it's disposable fluff.
                            That's not a criticism - sometimes, when you have a spare half-hour whilst eating your tea, it's better than trying to absorb the latest Last of Us episode or something with subtitles!

Comment

Shrinking on Apple TV is absolutely my favourite thing on TV right now. Possibly the most fun Harrison Ford has ever been, and I love the entire cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                Shrinking on Apple TV is absolutely my favourite thing on TV right now. Possibly the most fun Harrison Ford has ever been, and I love the entire cast.
                                It dose feel like Ford is playing himself, The cantankerousness seems to come super easy to him. We binged up to the latest episode over the weekend, and its great feel good TV with a top tier cast.

We went on a bit of an apple TV binge and watched a bit of Trying, which felt really bland and cliche, lots of tropes and overused themes, young couple trying and failing to have a baby while all their friends around them are all having kids. You've seen this sort of thing a million times before interwoven into a million different sitcoms. Where this differs is they have tried to make the cast as unlikable as possible the male protagonist comes across as a bit of an arrogant prick, and the female protagonist is played as a bit scatty and annoying. This has more fantasy than Lord of the Rings as they seems to live in central London have a circle of very rich friends but don't really have the wages to live where they do. She's doing minimum wage call center work at a car rental place and he works in a community college so neither are in high paying jobs. It also feels like the rolls where for people a lot younger. If you like farcical storylines like "oh no we've submitted out adoption papers with a list of all the negative habits we'd like to fix" your well catered for here.

Bad Sisters is a lot better and felt like something i hadn't seen before its a hard watch as it features an antagonist that you just want to punch in the face as he's abusive manipulative and down right evil the way he treats everyone is horrendous and you just end up hating him more and more as the show goes on. The jist of is his sisters in law have had enough of how hes treating their sister and decide the world would be a better place without him, so its about their many attempts to do him in which they seem to fail over and over its got drama and humor in equal measures, its dark, funny a bit cliche in places and a bit triggering but seems well worth a watch.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 13-02-2023, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X